Kennedy

Reporter is Enemy of the State for Reporting

quade

*********The reporter is called a coconspirator and/or aider and abetter of a violation of 793d.

Yes, which appears to have been the case, among other violations.
Defend your position. Explain how the reporter conspired with the leaker. Keep in mind that asking someone to commit a crime is not conspiracy. I'll wait.

Now, maybe I read it wrong, that's not impossible, but when I read the warrant it appears as if the government insider gave the reporter his log in credentials and the reporter accessed the government site and read the documents that way.

That's not what I got out of it. My understanding was that the leaker called the reporter while looking at the TS/SCI material and told the reporter about it, then met the reporter in person outside Foggy Bottom and talked about it.

I'm not sure if they allege that the reporter was ever in the leaker's office looking at it together, but I don't think they did allege that. That may rise to aid and abet or other less-than-principle level of criminal involvement. I'd leave that determination to the lawyers.

If the reporter logged into the secure systems with the leaker's credentials, then I'd agree with you that he was either a coconspirator violating 793d or some version of CFAA law, and I'd fully expect and support criminal charges. I don't think that's what happened.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

quade

Please read the first sentence of the third paragraph.

Essentially, the IRS filing is little more than applying for a Betty Crocker seal of approval.

Again
everything being reported, indicates you to be wrong
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

quade

Read it.

I've read the reports

The reports, and those being targeted, disagree with that
May be just perception
But it is what it is

Spinning something like Carney does not change that
Abraham Lincoln

quade

Please read the first sentence of the third paragraph.

Essentially, the IRS filing is little more than applying for a Betty Crocker seal of approval.

I did

Did you look at the signature at the bottom?
Abraham Lincoln

Did you look at the letterhead at the top?

It's an official, absolutely fucking holds up in court, document.

501(c)(4) corporations do NOT need approval of the IRS to operate as tax exempt.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

501(c)(4) corporations do NOT need approval of the IRS to operate as tax exempt.

But the IRS can question it, and if they do apply, it should be scrutinized with equal vigor for all, and not additional vigor according to party, religious, or any other affiliation.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Kennedy

Defend your position. Explain how the reporter conspired with the leaker. Keep in mind that asking someone to commit a crime is not conspiracy. I'll wait.

I don't need to. A FBI agent involved with the investigation already presented his probable cause to a federal judge, and that judge signed off on the search warrant. That is the law working as designed. The onus is yours to show that the judge erred in approving the warrant.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

wmw999

But the IRS can question it, and if they do apply, it should be scrutinized with equal vigor for all, and not additional vigor according to party, religious, or any other affiliation.

Wendy P.

Did you see tha Lerner got in trouble back in the 1990's for going after religious orgs when she worked at the FCC

Issa is calling her back

She legally waived her 5th A rights when she decided to make her "I did nothing wrong" speech

Going to get interesting
Abraham Lincoln

True, but again, it's little more than a Betty Crocker seal of approval.

Yeah, it's a shame a few government workers picked and choosed this versus that when it came to giving the approvals, but holy fuck, it really doesn't make a single bit of difference.

It "looks" bad, but that's about the extent of it.
quade -

Does anyone see the word solicitation in 793? I sure don't. Quade, jcd, et al, are you ready to admit you're wrong?

Maybe we can get to that after you correct your assertion that the reporter was accused of conspiring with foreign governments.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

quade

Not in the leaker's office.
The reporter, from what I read, logged in from outside using the leaker's credentials.

Can you point that out? I may have missed it. Was it in the warrant application, or something you read somewhere else? If the reporter did that, charge him, prosecute him, and incarcerate him. I know that's against the law.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

JerryBaumchen

Hi rush,

She legally waived her 5th A rights when she decided to make her "I did nothing wrong" speech

IMO you know very little about the laws of this country.

Anyone, at any time, can invoke their rights, no matter what they said just a moment ago.

:S

JerryBaumchen

Actually, no, they can't. This isn't an issue of Miranda rights related to police questioning while a suspect is in custody. This is self incrimination and sworn testimony. It's a very different set of case law. With Miranda and police questioning, you can stop at any time. It's right there in the warnings. Not so with self incrimination. That is an all or nothing situation. Once she stated that she did not commit any crime or violate any IRS rules or regs, she opened herself up to being compelled to answer questions under oath about committing crimes or violating rules and regs.
witty subliminal message
1*

JerryBaumchen

Hi rush,

IMO you know very little about the laws of this country.

Anyone, at any time, can invoke their rights, no matter what they said just a moment ago.

:S

JerryBaumchen

Well
Anyone can waive them too
I am just repeating what I heard two lawyers say
Are you a lawyer?
Abraham Lincoln

Kennedy

***Not in the leaker's office.
The reporter, from what I read, logged in from outside using the leaker's credentials.

Can you point that out? I may have missed it. Was it in the warrant application, or something you read somewhere else? If the reporter did that, charge him, prosecute him, and incarcerate him. I know that's against the law.

Actually, I retract the statement. I just re-read the document and had misread a part about about the number of times the file had been accessed and from where.

Just to be clear, reporter asked for documents about a country and a US official associated with it (let's assume the ambassador or possibly SecState). The leaker then some time later accessed a file multiple times while making phone calls with reporter. An intelligence briefing was printed out by the leaker. Both the leaker and reporter left the building at the same time for about 20 minutes and then returned to the building and respective desks.

I dunno. That still sounds a lot like conspiracy to me.
quade -

That's because people misuse the word all the time.

Conspiracy is an agreement between two or more people to commit an illegal act, along with an intent to achieve the agreement's goal. That means two people agreeing to commit a crime together. Not what happened here.
Aiding and abetting is to help someone else commit a crime. An aider and abettor is a helper who is present at a crime scene but in a passive role, such as acting as a lookout. That means assisting a person in committing a crime, but in a lesser role. Not what happened here.
Solicitation is requesting, encouraging, or inducing another to commit a crime. Bingo.

In order to be a conspirator, the reporter would have had to participate in the crime. He did not. He solicited the leaker to commit the crime, which is not illegal in this case.
witty subliminal message
1*

Hi rush,

Are you a lawyer?

My son is; we talk about this type of stuff all of the time.

I'll try to double-check this with him this weekend.

However, until one of our resident attorneys says that I am wrong, I stand by my statement.

IMO just think about it; at any time you can invoke any rights that any law/constitution gives you. To not be able to do would remove the right.

JerryBaumchen