lawrocket

The Subway Photographer

I'd love to see the EXIF data on the shot and see if it matches up with the story.

Assuming the camera had GPS, the EXIF data would likely give you the location of the street entrance to the subway.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

the fact that he decided to grab his camera, aim and take the picture is why i choose to focus on him.

no decent person would do that.

Maybe it's my military background where we resort to training. As a matter of training, we would do what no decent person would do.

This was a photographer doing what photographers do. He is no more or less culpable in the death than anybody else. That he took the photo I find to be irrelevant.

I understand your point but it's just me.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'd love to see the EXIF data on the shot and see if it matches up with the story.

Assuming the camera had GPS, the EXIF data would likely give you the location of the street entrance to the subway.

I'm referring to shutter speed, aperature, iso, shooting mode (A,Tv,M,P). If he was just running at the subway flashing, I wouldn't expect settings that are appropriate for the situation. If it seems perfect for the challenging shot, it suggests he took the time to set up the shot.

Pretty low to snap a picture and not attempt to do anything. Then again when a giant asteroid is heading for the planet don't you know the news people will be all over it. "well we think this is where the impact will be..." Setting up for the shot of impact. Almost as disgusting as the people who sold video of jumpers from the world trade center..
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

the fact that he decided to grab his camera, aim and take the picture is why i choose to focus on him.

no decent person would do that.

Maybe it's my military background where we resort to training. As a matter of training, we would do what no decent person would do.

This was a photographer doing what photographers do. He is no more or less culpable in the death than anybody else. That he took the photo I find to be irrelevant.

I understand your point but it's just me.

i too am a veteran. we had specialized training. i do not see a free lance photographer and a professionally trained soldier being an apt comparison. i'm pretty sure there is no professional free lance photo basic school. i highly doubt he has been trained and conditioned to react to a photo shoot the way a soldier would react to a near ambush. i could be wrong but doubt it.

also, i never felt anything i did or was trained to do could be considered less than decent. perhaps your service differed.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

i never felt anything i did or was trained to do could be considered less than decent

I was trained to shoot anything that moves in my field of fire (think it's coincidence that the pop-up targets look human?). Some people thing thoughtless killing to be indecent. I saw "thoughtless" because it was a drill.

This was a photographer doing what photographers do. He is no more or less culpable in the death than anybody else. That he took the photo I find to be irrelevant

I finally googled the actual photo that was published. I had thought that someone would have had to jump down onto the tracks to help the guy; instead I see a picture of someone with his arms up on the subway platform, with his shoulders level with the platform. He wasn't able to pull himself up, as he had nothing to grab on to, but virtually anyone of adult size should have been able to grab his hand or his coat and pull him up enough to have been able to swing his legs up and onto the platform. No need to jump onto the racks, no need to put anyone else at risk. 22 seconds is a long time, more than 1/3 of a skydive, and there were a number of people in the photos who clearly seem close enough to have helped. I don't know how close or how far away the photographer was, with lenses and such he could have been quite far away and unable to do anything. I don't blame the photographer any more than any of the others who were close by.

Did anyone have a legal duty to help? I suppose not. A moral duty? That's a lot more complicated. Do any of us have any duty to give anyone a hand? Even if that action involves little or no risk or cost to ourselves, and extreme consequences (such as death) for the person in need? I'm sure some would say "no, we have no such duty". I wonder what sort of a society would result if we all adopted that attitude. A civilization of psychopaths.

Don

I'm sure some would say "no, we have no such duty". I wonder what sort of a society would result if we all adopted that attitude. A civilization of psychopaths.

Doesn’t a psychopath usually do some affirmative wrong? We may be seeing a societal norm that provides for indifference to the fates of others. But don’t we have a long history as humans of sitting idly by while some harm comes to others because we, as people, don’t want to risk ourselves?

There are two types of people in this world: those that run away from a fire and those that run toward it. The former far outweigh the latter. Let us be careful about using the term “psychopath” to describe a person who chooses not to act.

He wasn't able to pull himself up, as he had nothing to grab on to, but virtually anyone of adult size should have been able to grab his hand or his coat and pull him up enough to have been able to swing his legs up and onto the platform. No need to jump onto the racks, no need to put anyone else at risk. 22 seconds is a long time, more than 1/3 of a skydive, and there were a number of people in the photos who clearly seem close enough to have helped. I don't know how close or how far away the photographer was, with lenses and such he could have been quite far away and unable to do anything. I don't blame the photographer any more than any of the others who were close by.

Helping this man by leaning over to help him up puts your head in the line of the train.

22 seconds is NOT a long time, even if you KNEW it was going to take 22 seconds. The thought of "WTF is going on," measuring your possible actions and outcome, limit the time, severely.

But, the problem doesn't start when the man was pushed onto the track. Apparently, there was an altercation that led up to this. If someone could have stepped up , MAYBE it would have been the best time to circumvent this tragedy.

A civilization of psychopaths.

Don

Also, a civilization of couch quarterbacks and website heroes.

Unless you were there, you have no right to judge. If you are relying on what the news states to collect your facts, you are not only judgmental, you are stupid.
(I am judging you by the statements you made without possibly having all the info.)

I have been the 1st responder and the one to step-in multiple times. I have also been one who didn't get there in time.

there are always too many people talking, after the fact.

It's a shame that the man died, but it is no one persons responsibility to put their life in danger to save him.
My photos

My Videos

22 seconds is a long time, more than 1/3 of a skydive, and there were a number of people in the photos who clearly seem close enough to have helped. I don't know how close or how far away the photographer was, with lenses and such he could have been quite far away and unable to do anything. I don't blame the photographer any more than any of the others who were close by.

22 seconds may not have been long enough to succeed, but was long enough to at least try.

As for the photographer- the angle of the shot (train versus person) and the lack of any obstructions indicates proximity.

> Do any of us have any duty to give anyone a hand? Even if that action involves little
> or no risk or cost to ourselves, and extreme consequences (such as death) for the
> person in need?

I think you might be overthinking this. We're skydivers and are used to saving our own lives and reacting in seconds to do so. Most people aren't. Most people, when presented with a totally unexpected and dangerous situation with no clear solution, freeze up.

In skydiving I've had to take a completely unexpected action a handful of times, due to a parachute over the tail, or a pulled pin near the door, or an oxygen system malfunction, or an engine out. Many skydivers are pilots, and of course pilots learn something similar. Every pilot out there has had their power pulled by an instructor or evaluator, and they've had to react fast and accurately. So our standards are pretty high when it comes to "well, the right course of action was clear." We practice for such things, or at the very least are exposed to them with some regularity.

When I was taking a medic course years ago, one of the more useful sections of the training was situational - you'd have someone come into the room and act out an MI, or a stroke, or a concussion, and you'd have to take appropriate action. At first it felt odd to do so. You have to sort of get in their face and ask them what's going on, figure out their state of mind, ignore belligerence or confusion and start taking action. It was super useful because it was in a controlled environment and you could practice doing something that is normally not socially acceptable (i.e. grabbing an altered victim and getting them to sit or lie down.)

So I think that it's likely that the biggest thing going through people's minds was not "hmm, I might be exposed to some risk by trying to help him up, and I would just rather not" - it was "WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE FUCK? There's a guy on the . . . and o my god a train is coming - WHAT THE FUCK?"

I think you might be overthinking this.

I'm sure I am.

So I think that it's likely that the biggest thing going through people's minds was not "hmm, I might be exposed to some risk by trying to help him up, and I would just rather not" - it was "WHAT THE FUCK? WHAT THE FUCK? There's a guy on the . . . and o my god a train is coming - WHAT THE FUCK?"

I'm sure you're right. And, I'm constantly amazed at how many people seem to exist in their own little bubble, completely unaware of anything beyond the IPod stuck in their ear. I also suppose that in a crowd, everyone might hesitate for an instant, expecting someone else to take action.

Speaking only for myself, and recognizing that I was not there so this is purely hypothetical, I am fairly confident that if I was standing 10 paces from a guy who is standing with his head and shoulders above the platform, waving his arms and screaming for help, I would take those 10 steps, grab his hand, and pull for all I am worth. I hope I'm never in a real-world situation like that to find out.

Don

Doesn’t a psychopath usually do some affirmative wrong?
Let us be careful about using the term “psychopath” to describe a person who chooses not to act.

I meant "psychopath" in the sense of people who are indifferent to the needs of others, being able to see only their own desires. My understanding is that there are a lot of people who qualify as psychopaths in a clinical sense, but who don't run afoul of the law as they perceive that not to be in their best interest. Perhaps my understanding of the term is incorrect?

We may be seeing a societal norm that provides for indifference to the fates of others. But don’t we have a long history as humans of sitting idly by while some harm comes to others because we, as people, don’t want to risk ourselves?

I think that we have succeeded as humans in large part because we do collaborate, and sometimes take calculated risks to benefit others. The payoff is that they might also come to our aid when we need it. It's interesting that we have evolved the ability to feel empathy for one another; judging from behavior there aren't too many species where that happens.

My comment about a "civilization of psychopaths" referred to a society that would result if everyone adopted the attitude of "I take care of me, and fuck everybody else".

There are two types of people in this world: those that run away from a fire and those that run toward it. The former far outweigh the latter.

There's also those who back off to a safe distance and then watch. The urge to rubberneck is a pretty strong trait. But, your point is taken.

Don

Speaking only for myself, and recognizing that I was not there so this is purely hypothetical, I am fairly confident that if I was standing 10 paces from a guy who is standing with his head and shoulders above the platform, waving his arms and screaming for help, I would take those 10 steps, grab his hand, and pull for all I am worth.

Most people think that. Until the moment of truth occurs. The human mind is an odd thing.

Speaking only for myself, and recognizing that I was not there so this is purely hypothetical, I am fairly confident that if I was standing 10 paces from a guy who is standing with his head and shoulders above the platform, waving his arms and screaming for help, I would take those 10 steps, grab his hand, and pull for all I am worth.

Most people think that. Until the moment of truth occurs. The human mind is an odd thing.

Yes. Some react better than they would have thought, many more react worse.

It's the same as combat (real, life-or-death situations). It's known in some circles as "Seeing the Elephant." It's a reference to hunting an animal that will charge at you and stomp you into mush if you miss your target or don't make the follow up shot in time.

And it's said that once you've been there, you will be much, much better at it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I don't know exactly what went on on that subway platform. But some people want to degrade people that were there and know what went down for not helping the man. Answer me this that man was pushed onto the tracks. Whats to say if somebody did try to help him out that the same person that pushed him in would not push in whoever tried to help. Could be a good reason why somebody would not try. Again like I said I don't know details just a thought.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

What if someone went to help and in the panic he pulled them down with him?

Now what?

That very reason is why the first thing they tell you in lifesaving class, is, don't get close to the drowning victim, toss a ring or other object. But then they teach you how to deal with someone who is trying to pull you to the bottom of the pool.

Probably not useful here, but then, who actually has training in rescuing someone from a subway track? I wonder if subway employees even have a clue (meaning training for) what they should do?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Here is an article that shows were the photographer was on the platform as he took the pictures. Seems to me that he was close enough to help. However, maybe he figured the guy would be able to climb onto platform and this was just going to be a close call incident.

http://www.imediaethics.org/News/3647/Measuring_subway_platform_discredits_ny_post_abbasi_subway_photo_tale.php

Here is an article that shows were the photographer was on the platform as he took the pictures. Seems to me that he was close enough to help. However, maybe he figured the guy would be able to climb onto platform and this was just going to be a close call incident.

http://www.imediaethics.org/News/3647/Measuring_subway_platform_discredits_ny_post_abbasi_subway_photo_tale.php

a much more detailed analysis of my gut feel on the story that was sold by the photographer and the paper.

Any of his defenders changing sides now?

confirms my opinion of the photographer.

id like to reiterate that i can understand someone not helping for many number of reasons. shock being a good one. if he stood there in terror, that would be forgivable. thae fact that he had the composure to photograph a dying man for profit, says alot about him. no decent person could do that.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

a much more detailed analysis of my gut feel on the story that was sold by the photographer and the paper.

Any of his defenders changing sides now?

Not changing sides. I didn't buy for a second the "flashing for the operator" thing (let's blind the train operator - great idea!).

I AM defending him against any allegation he should have done something. Sorry. A common thread among people is that they always think somebody else's should have acted differently. Or, if in that situation, that he/she would act differently.

But it almost invariably turns out that, yes, everybody act the same way and it's not how people think they would act/react.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmzuPTnBhKE

Check out 1:35 in. Some asshole camera operator just focusing in on that woman's face. Helplessly paddling, in shock, hypothermic and blinded by jet fuel. Others gathered around - dozens. And nobody did anything except watch her struggle with the helicopter.

Nobody's going in there, eh? Not even the professionals. http://kurioso.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/poto_101.jpg - another photo by an asshole who wouldn't help.

Until one guy took decisive action and then others could be seen going out to get her in the water.

We all would like to think we'd be heroes. But statistical evidence is that there is only a very small percentage of us who would.

There are way more photographers than heroes.

Note to others - plan to create an outcry about these photographers/videographers? Are they not decent people?