CarpeDiem3

Guns fired in air, 23 dead

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/In_America_how_many_deaths_are_caused_by_guns_annually

Yeah and whats your point? Use a firearm irresponsibly and this can happen.

Should we pull up the statistics on how many people die behind the wheel each year?

[url]http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_deaths_are_caused_by_car_accidents_a_year

You can peddle your anti-gun views all you want. Simple fact is cars kill more people each year than firearms. While you are at it, go after the fast food industry for causing so many cases of heart disease and heart attacks.

But then again I have a feeling you like your Big Macs and automobiles, so you gotta find something to bitch about don't ya.

But then again I have a feeling you like your Big Macs and automobiles, so you gotta find something to bitch about don't ya.

I rarely eat a Big Mac, I drive responsibly, and I don't shoot guns in the air.

I usually eat fast food while driving somewhere, and that middle section of the Big Mac, slippery from that special sauce, always tries to slide out into my lap. So I usually just get the double cheeseburger. I think more people are killed by guns, than by eating cheeseburgers while driving. But hey, I'll give up cheeseburgers while driving if you give up your guns. Deal?

Besides, Big Mac heart disease will only kill the person who ate it, not 23 innocent people all around them like this gun incident.

Apparently the 2nd amendment is alive and well in Saudi Arabia. :P

I bet a well-placed knife would have done as much damage.

Maybe better building codes, so that the wiring would have been better protected. Probably, no GFI on the circuit.

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

News: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/31/us-saudi-wedding-electrocuted-idUSBRE89U0FJ20121031

This is what happens when irresponsible gun nuts run amok.

The message is clear. Do not attend weddings in Saudi Arabia or anywhere in the Mideast for that matter.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/In_America_how_many_deaths_are_caused_by_guns_annually

Yeah and whats your point? Use a firearm irresponsibly and this can happen.

Should we pull up the statistics on how many people die behind the wheel each year?

[url]http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_deaths_are_caused_by_car_accidents_a_year

You can peddle your anti-gun views all you want. Simple fact is cars kill more people each year than firearms. While you are at it, go after the fast food industry for causing so many cases of heart disease and heart attacks.

Don't forget deaths resulting from iatrogenic causes in US hospitals and clinics, 100,000 people are killed and over 2 million people maimed and disabled every year at the hands of clinicians throughout the USA. Maybe hospitals and clinics should be banned too. After all iatrogenic deaths are the third biggest killer in the USA.

of course precise figures vary...

Lucian Leape, a Harvard University professor who conducted the most comprehensive study of medical errors in the United States, has estimated that one million patients nationwide are injured by errors during hospital treatment each year and that 120,000 die as a result.
-- Harvard University

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

"Celebratory knife throwers bring down electrical cable, 23 killed"

I gotta be honest, I'm having trouble picturing it!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I was called to an outage once where a kid had thrown a small chain at a power line

That line came down and if things has happened just a bit differntly, many could have died

Not too hard to imagine

Although I will admit it is tough to do in practice

Hell, one of the biggest outages I was involved with (non-storm) was caused by a small, helium filled, Mylar balloon
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

News: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/31/us-saudi-wedding-electrocuted-idUSBRE89U0FJ20121031

This is what happens when irresponsible gun nuts run amok.

I especially love the thread title "Guns fired in air, 23 dead". Should read "Guns fired in air, 23 killed by downed power line".

Quick and easy spin to get some shock value, huh?
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

I especially love the thread title "Guns fired in air, 23 dead". Should read "Guns fired in air, 23 killed by downed power line".

Were it not for the guns fired in the air, the power line would not have fallen, and those 23 people would still be alive and basking in the happy glow of a beautiful wedding and marriage. The gunfire was the direct and initiating cause of the event that led to the deaths. Because a few gun nuts wanted to affirm their manhood through their weapons, what should have been that happy glow turned into extreme tragedy and sadness.

Were it not for the guns fired in the air, the power line would not have fallen, and those 23 people would still be alive and basking in the happy glow of a beautiful wedding and marriage. The gunfire was the direct and initiating cause of the event that led to the deaths.

nonsense - ban weddings

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Dont follow along the path these morons are leading you down. The fact of the matter is that this is saudi arabia. The same people who line up in droves to watch their idiot friends try and drift...and then get killed when the car goes out of control and takes out bystanders. They are generally stupid people that live on an oil rich land that has nothing else to offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV7XF1wUivU

I rest my case.

nonsense - can't blame CULTURE and attitudes and training

you must blame the evil object

property is bad

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Unless fired in a parallel fashion to the earth a bullet is hardly if lethal at all. Myth busters proved that, If fired vertically they descend with a non lethal free fall speed. The ones they fired in the desert hardly broke the surface of the dirt when they landed.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

sure, but the odds of shooting in the air causing this sort of outcome is nearly as far fetched. It's no coincidence that when he wrote the headline for this thread, he made it seem that the dead were directly killed by gun fire.

Since this is Arabia, what if they were throwing sabres instead of knives? Those would have a much easier time cutting than small knives or bullets.

Yes but if fired straight up its back to earth speed is only 105 mph iirc). Vs parallel in its arc trajectory it still carries its muzzle velocity out and bleeds it off at certain distances. Ie at 500 yds it dropped 56 inches but is still traving at 1230 mph more than lethal.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Unless fired in a parallel fashion to the earth a bullet is hardly if lethal at all. Myth busters proved that, If fired vertically they descend with a non lethal free fall speed. The ones they fired in the desert hardly broke the surface of the dirt when they landed.

No.

What Mythbusters demonstrated was shooting straight up. Perfectly vertical.
The bullets then descend at terminal, usually sideways. Not really fast enough to do damage.

Unfortunately, celebratory gunfire is rarely vertical. It's just upwards. And the bullets, which are launched in a ballistic arc, are still travelling with lethal velocity when they come back down.

Jclalor is right. It's rare, but people die from it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

That original article states that this is a custom in just parts of Saudi Arabia but in my experience it is popular throughout much of the Middle East. I've observed a number of wedding parties with a lot of gunfire involved.

Shotgun wedding, indeed.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"