CarpeDiem3

Guns fired in air, 23 dead

I can remember a New Year's Eve celebration where one of the neighbors got a shot off with his shotgun. How do we know? the wadding landed in our yard.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If a bullet is fired parallel to the earth, the round will hit the groung in the same amount of time as if it was dropped from the same height as it was fired from.

That's true, but irrelevant. It's the velocity that matters. A bullet fired parallel to the earth will be moving several thousand feet per second, while a bullet simply dropped from the same height will be moving only several feet per second.

What Mythbusters demonstrated was shooting straight up. Perfectly vertical.
The bullets then descend at terminal, usually sideways. Not really fast enough to do damage.

Unfortunately, celebratory gunfire is rarely vertical. It's just upwards. And the bullets, which are launched in a ballistic arc, are still travelling with lethal velocity when they come back down.

Not necessarily. Depends on the degree of arc, and other factors.

A bullet fired at, say, an 80 degree angle will still lose all it's ballistic velocity in its climb through the air, just like one fired at 90 degrees straight up. Both will only freefall back to earth, with non-lethal force. It depends upon how high the bullet will climb based upon the power of the cartridge, and how far its velocity will carry it. A .30-06 might still be lethal fired at a 45 degree angle, but a .22 rimfire is not likely to be. It's not just a "straight up" phenomenon.

Yes and a bullett fired parallel to the ground will have a very hard time going through a roof and killing someone 2 miles away.

I don't think any bullet when fired from two miles away, short of maybe a .50 caliber, retains enough velocity to penetrate a normal roof.

Still a bad idea though, and gun nuts should refrain from doing it.

I bet a well-placed knife would have done as much damage.

"Celebratory knife throwers bring down electrical cable, 23 killed"

I gotta be honest, I'm having trouble picturing it!

sure, but the odds of shooting in the air causing this sort of outcome is nearly as far fetched. It's no coincidence that when he wrote the headline for this thread, he made it seem that the dead were directly killed by gun fire.

I wasn't making a serious point.

Since this is Arabia, what if they were throwing sabres instead of knives?

That would be awesome. And by awesome, I mean a senseless tragedy.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

CarpeDiem3

GO AWAY! Go crawl into a hole and disappear. Or move to what ever POS country that you want.

Don't like guns in our country? LEAVE. I'll help you pack.

Our forefathers and military men and women in this wonderful country fought so you have the freedom to be a dumba$$. You also have the freedom to go away.

Vote with your feet and do us all a favor and disappear.
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Airline Transport Pilot, Multi-Engine Land, DHC-8
Commercial Multi-Engine Sea, Single Engine Land
Private Glider

I think that more people (including forefathers) fought for freedom of speech than for the right to bear arms.

That said, both are in the Constitution. But while it's legal to say you don't want guns, it's not legal to shoot someone for saying what you don't like :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I especially love the thread title "Guns fired in air, 23 dead". Should read "Guns fired in air, 23 killed by downed power line".

Were it not for the guns fired in the air, the power line would not have fallen, and those 23 people would still be alive and basking in the happy glow of a beautiful wedding and marriage. The gunfire was the direct and initiating cause of the event that led to the deaths.

that's right. a few irresponsible gun nuts fired guns in the air at a wedding (which has been outlawed there). Celebratory gunfire at weddings clearly isn't safe. Get your ass on a plane and peddle your cause over there. When was the last time someone in the US was killed by celebratory gunfire?

Because a few gun nuts wanted to affirm their manhood through their weapons, what should have been that happy glow turned into extreme tragedy and sadness.

wait... do you work in the white house? This sounds like "never let a tragedy go to waste".
--
Rob

When was the last time someone in the US was killed by celebratory gunfire?

Probably on July 4th or New Years Eve. That's when American gun nuts like to shoot their bullets into the air. I'm hanging out under a bridge where it's safe. At weddings they just get drunk and obnoxious.

you're making assumptions without backing them up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire lists 6 people killed by celebratory gunfire in the US (including PR) since December 1859.

Celebratory gunfire is such a problem for you, go where more people are killed and start a cause. Looks like Pakistan or Saudi Arabia are your best bets.

OR, stay here, and start a campaign to educate people about safe firearms use.
--
Rob

Probably on July 4th or New Years Eve. That's when American gun nuts like to shoot their bullets into the air. I'm hanging out under a bridge where it's safe. At weddings they just get drunk and obnoxious.

Is this DD? you're only allowed one account here

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I think that more people (including forefathers) fought for freedom of speech than for the right to bear arms.

That said, both are in the Constitution. But while it's legal to say you don't want guns, it's not legal to shoot someone for saying what you don't like :ph34r:

Wendy P.

Where is that passage in the constitution that states one amendment is more important than the others again?

Solve the whole problem by banning idiots. Simple as that.
:S

Reminds me of New Year's Eve in Saigon with tracers, pop-ups and assorted weaponry being discharged and spraying into the sky. What a wonderful light show!

Well, we were sitting in the softball field bleachers enjoying our "refreshment of choice" watching the show up until some butthead blurted out, "That's a lot of lead going up and it has to come down somewhere".

Dead silence for about 3 minutes and then a rapid mass exodus to the bunkers.
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Wendy P.

Where is that passage in the constitution that states one amendment is more important than the others again?

Well, congratulations for missing her point and putting words in her mouth. Classic blog-speak. Good for you.