riddler

Cleveland school shooting

As this will eventually turn into a gun discussions, I'm posting here:

[Updated at 4:04 p.m. ET] Chardon Police Chief Timothy McKenna said in a press conference today that two of the victims in Monday's shootings were in critical condition, one was in serious condition and one was in stable condition.

[Updated at 2:58 p.m. ET] Danny Komertz, a student at Chardon High School said that he saw shooter T.J. lane point a gun directly at a group of students before shooting them.

"I looked straight ahead and I saw a gun pointing at a group of four guys sitting at a table and he was able two feet away from them," Komertz said. "He just fired two quick shots at them. I saw one student fall. I saw the other hiding, trying to get cover underneath the table."

Komertz said that he felt that by his demeanor, the shooter was targeting that group.

"It was clearly to me that he was aiming right at them," Komertz told CNN. "He wasn't shooting around the cafeteria at all. He was directly aiming at the four of them."

Komertz said he then ran out the door with his friends. While he was trying to escape he said he heard another two shots fired from behind him.

"I just can't believe it. I don't think it's real," said student Danny Komertz, who witnessed the shooting. "And I just, it kills me that I saw someone hiding, and now that someone is now dead."

[Updated at 2:13 p.m. ET] A fatally wounded student was identified by the hospital that treated him as Daniel Parmertor.

"We are shocked by this senseless tragedy," Parmertor's family said in a statement released by MetroHealth Medical Center. "Danny was a bright young boy who had a bright future ahead of him. The family is torn by this loss. We ask that you respect our privacy during this difficult time."

[Updated 1:19 p.m. ET] A student who hid in a classroom at Chardon High School said that T.J. Lane, the suspect in Monday's shooting, "was a nice guy" who he never suspected would shoot anyone.

“He just came from a really broken down home and he was living with his grandparents," Evan Erasmus, a senior at the school told CNN. "He was more of a quiet type of kid. He was really nice, though, if you did talk to him.”

Erasmus said that Lane and some of the victims "used to be friends" but more in middle school and early high school.

“He was one of the nicest kids there…," Erasmus said. "It was really shocking that it was him.”

Erasmus told CNN that he believed T.J. Lane was either a sophomore or junior at the school.

He said that Lane was sitting about a table away from some of the victims.

Erasmus said he heard the victims "were all sitting there and then he just stood up and that’s when it all started."

Meanwhile, he and the other students in a nearby classroom, "turned the lights off and we headed into a corner" after the shooting.

[Updated 12:52 p.m. ET] Witnesses and one of the shooting victims have identified the gunman as T.J. Lane, according to The Plain Dealer of Cleveland.

[Updated 12:04 p.m. ET] Police say one student has died from the shootings at Chardon High School this morning. Five students were shot in total, officials said.

[Updated 11:58 a.m. ET] A parent of children who attend Chardon High School says the gunman in today's shooting had specific targets and was not shooting randomly, according to a report from CNN affiliate WJW-TV.

[Updated 11:43 a.m. ET] The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives says it has been given one handgun from the Ohio high school shooting scene to do an emergency trace.

The Geauga County sheriff's office is executing searches in the case with the assistance of ATF agents, a law enforcement official said.

[Updated 11:13 a.m. ET] Geauga County Sheriff Daniel McClelland says a K-9 unit tracked the shooting suspect, who was apprehended "some distance from the school," according to a report on CNN affiliate WJW-TV.

[Updated 10:54 a.m. ET] The suspect in the shooting of five students at Chardon High School turned himself in to bystanders in Chardon Township, a law enforcement official told CNN affiliate WKYC-TV.

[Updated 10:43 a.m. ET] A student at Chardon High School, Evan Erasmus, told CNN affiliate WEWS-TV that the suspect in Monday's shootings may have posted a threatening message Sunday night on the social networking service Twitter.

"I think he said that he was going to bring a gun to school and I think that everyone just blew it off like he was joking," Erasmus said.

[Updated 10:34 a.m. ET] Law enforcement officials say they received reports that a teacher chased the shooter at Chardon High School out of the building.

[Updated 10:31 a.m. ET] There are five victims of the shooting at a Chardon High School in surburban Cleveland, law enforcement officials said.

[Updated 10:05 a.m. ET] Those wounded at Chardon High School in Ohio are students at another school in nearby Auburn, said Evan Erasmus, a student at Chardon. They had been waiting in the Chardon cafeteria for a bus to Auburn when they were shot, Erasmus said.

[Updated 9:53 a.m. ET] Four students were wounded when a gunman opened fire in the cafeteria of a suburban Cleveland high school just as the school day was beginning Monday, law enforcement officials said.

The suspected Chardon High School shooter - believed to be a student, according to a school official - was in custody, FBI Special Agent Scott Wilson told reporters.

Wilson declined to say how badly the injured students had been hurt.

"We just hope that they're OK," he said.

School administrators locked down schools in the city of Chardon, Ohio, about 30 miles east of Cleveland. and assured parents that all remaining students were safe.

Still, parents eager to retrieve their children hurried to school buildings, forming long lines as school officials checked identifications before releasing students. At one point, black-clad SWAT team members walked by parents waiting outside the middle school, enhancing what was a surreal scene for many.

"This stuff doesn't happen here at Chardon. Everybody's a little upset," said one parent who was preparing to pick up his daughter, a 10th-grader who had been evacuated to Maple Elementary School.

Despite initial reports that two people were involved, it appeared only one person was responsible for the shooting, Superintendent Joseph Bergant said.

"My understanding is there was one gunman," he said. Bergant said he believed the suspect is a student.

The shooting occurred around 7:40 a.m. just as school was getting started for the day, school board member Larry Reiter said. It happened inside the cafeteria, which is near the entrance to the school, he said.

It was unclear how the suspect was taken into custody.

School officials locked the high school down following the shooting.

One parent told CNN affilaite WKYC that her daughter had texted from a closet to tell her that there had been a shooting at the school, but that she was okay.

Chardon is a small city of about 5,100 people 30 miles east of Cleveland. About 1,150 students attend the high school, which is next to Chardon Middle School and across the street from Maple Elementary School.

[Updated 9:48 a.m. ET] A youth suspected in the shooting at an Ohio high school fled the building but was caught nearby, according to a Plain Dealer report on Cleveland.com.

Three boys and a girl were injured in the shooting which happened in the Chardon High School cafeteria before classes started, the Plain Dealer report said.

"Parent Jeannette Roth, who had heard from her son Joshua, a junior, said he told her the shooting happened while students were eating breakfast in the cafeteria and waiting for first period. Suddenly a boy 'stood up and started shooting, and then it was chaos,'" the Plain Dealer report read.

[Updated 9:27 a.m. ET] Four students were wounded in the school shooting Monday morning at the high school in Chardon, Ohio, officials said. The extent of their injuries was unknown.

[Updated 9:21 a.m. ET] At least three students were injured when an armed individual entered the cafeteria of a high school near Cleveland and opened fire just as the school day was beginning Monday, police and the school superintendent said.

School officials said they did not know how badly the injured students had been wounded, but some had been taken by helicopter to the hospital.

Police took a suspect into custody, locked the high school down and assured parents that all remaining students were safe.

Despite initial reports that two people were involved, it appeared only one person was responsible for the shooting, Superintendent Joseph Bergant said.

"My understanding is there was one gunman," he said. Bergant said he believed the suspect is a student.

School officials said the rest of the high school's students were being evacuated to a nearby elementary school.

Parents gathered outside the school administration building, hoping for information about the incident and how to retrieve their children.

"My daughter is at the school and she's texting me saying they're in a closet right now and they're OK," a parent speaking to CNN affiliate WKYC said.

Chardon is a small city of about 5,100 people 30 miles east of Cleveland. About 1,150 students attend the high school, which is next to Chardon Middle School and across the street from Maple Elementary School.

[Updated 9:06 a.m. ET] The superintendent of Chardon schools said Monday he believes there was only one gunman involved in the shooting at Chardon High School.

[Updated 9:01 a.m. ET] A person who fired shots at a high school near Cleveland on Monday morning is in custody, a school official said.

[Updated 8:55 a.m. ET] At least three students were wounded when two people entered the cafeteria of a high school near Cleveland, Ohio, and opened fire just as the school day was beginning, police and a school board member said.

The shooting happened at Chardon High School in Chardon, Ohio, Lt. John Hiscox of the Geauga County Sheriff's Office said.

Three or four students were hit by the gunfire, said Larry Reiter of the Chardon Schools Board of Education. He did not know their conditions, but said helicopters had been called to take the injured to a hospital.

[Updated 8:43 a.m. ET] Two shooters entered Chardon High School and and shot three or four students in the cafeteria, school board member Larry Reiter told CNN. He did not know their condition.

[Posted 8:38 a.m. ET] A shooting has occurred at Chardon High School near Cleveland, Ohio, Lt. John Hiscox of the Geauga County Sheriff's Office said Monday.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Just another nutter with a gun. The 99.999999%ers like DaVinci don't seem to think it's a problem, just so long as they're not inconvenienced.

appears to be a minor, so there's a bit more going on here. He didn't buy a gun by any legal channel. Did he buy one illicitly? Did an 18 yo friend give it to him illegally, like the girlfriend at Columbine? Did he steal it from his parents? Did they leave it in a shoebox in the floor of the closet?

On a different level - can a minor be declared a nutter?

Just another nutter with a gun. The 99.999999%ers like DaVinci don't seem to think it's a problem, just so long as they're not inconvenienced.

appears to be a minor, so there's a bit more going on here. He didn't buy a gun by any legal channel. Did he buy one illicitly? Did an 18 yo friend give it to him illegally, like the girlfriend at Columbine? Did he steal it from his parents? Did they leave it in a shoebox in the floor of the closet?

On a different level - can a minor be declared a nutter?

Can a minor shoot a gun in space?

And I'll bet you a dollar against a small jar of hog piss that the kid was on Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

If he's a minor - he must have got the gun from an underground source:o

*Underground*?

Perhaps he found it under the bed of his dad, as daddy is always prepared ....?

:S

As someone from a country with a questionable record on weapons I'll discount the crazy icon a bit.

Funny that you advocate the control of firearms. I guess only the police should have them. That worked out well in Munich in '72 didn't it?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

*Underground*?

As someone from a country with a questionable record on weapons I'll discount the crazy icon a bit.

Funny that you advocate the control of firearms. I guess only the police should have them. That worked out well in Munich in '72 didn't it?

That is a serious deflection of the point CHristel was trying to make. It is not a far reach to hypothesize the gun could be from a relative's cache.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

*Underground*?

Wow, you really had to dig deep - 1972. :P

40 years later, our statistics just show what's been the best for us: Strict gun controls.

BTW: My kids never ever had any chance to put thier fingers on my collection. Strict gun control at home. Works too.

B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

*Underground*?

Wow, you really had to dig deep - 1972. :P

40 years later, our statistics just show what's been the best for us: Strict gun controls.

BTW: My kids never ever had any chance to put thier fingers on my collection. Strict gun control at home. Works too.

B|

And the exact opposite works in thousands of households where parents actually TEACH their kids about guns.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

When will the doctors get prosecuted for medicating the fuck out of these kids?

The same time when doctors get punished because they have patients who die.

Psychotropics, unfortunately, are misused. It's too bad that there are so many family physicians out there who don't know what psychotropics are about. It's too bad that Medicare doesn't pay for two mental health visits in a day (meaning that if a kid's therapist thinks that a kid may need some immediate help from medication that the kid will have to go to a family doctor for it. It'd like going to a family doctor for a spinal tap, or a cardiologist for a thyroid problem). Why Medicare? Because insurance companies base what they do off of what Medicare does.

What are the chances that the kid was treated with SSRIs? Probably about the same as that the kid had a scrip written by a nurse practitioner. Or a family doctor. Because it's what I see ALL THE TIME.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Are you claiming that there have been no mass shootings in Germany in the last 40 years?

And since no facts are out yet on where he acquired the gun, it's a bit early to start blaming it on the parents.

Are you claiming that there have been no mass shootings in Germany in the last 40 years?

Jeez, JR. That's something YOU already did several times. But even you tried hard, we never ever reached the(*your*) level of (mass/school) shootings over the past 40 yrs.

Thanks to your gun control laws.

B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

But even you tried hard, we never ever reached the(*your*) level of (mass/school) shootings over the past 40 yrs

Kinda strange that the last forty years is when the gun control laws started taking effect. And as more control is put on the laws, we end up with more and more of these incidents.

Hence I have concluded that gun control laws are misanthropic. Notice how many of these occur at schools? First, they are kids. Understandable. But second, schools are where one find sitting ducks. If a person wants to go on a spree homicide, it is rare that they go where the guns are.

Even in the Army, weapons are strictly controlled. Hence a mass murder at Ft. Hood can occur because there are no defense resources available.

So tell me, why is it that you want to ensure people are defenseless against those who wish to do harm and kill them? As gun controls increase, the mass murders increase. That is not arguable. There is a correlation here.

Maybe that works in Germany, where there's a rich history of headlong belief in government policy. If Germany could go for a century without starting world wars and without committing genocide, then perhaps there could be some moral superiority. Same with the US.

We're in twelve years into this century and Germany has behaved itself nicely. It just boggles my mind how any German citizen can trust their government at all. "Nein. You won't need your guns. We're the government, and we won't hurt anybody."

Seriously - how the hell could a German ever trust his or her government again?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

It's too bad that Medicare doesn't pay for two mental health visits in a day (meaning that if a kid's therapist thinks that a kid may need some immediate help from medication that the kid will have to go to a family doctor for it. It'd like going to a family doctor for a spinal tap, or a cardiologist for a thyroid problem). Why Medicare? Because insurance companies base what they do off of what Medicare does.

What rules are those? We have people go to both a psychiatrist appointment and a therapy appointment every single day in my building.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"