stevebabin

For the atheists...

I grew up with Agnostic parents. Despite this I went to a Catholic school while living in Japan, my parents actually signed me up to be in the "Christian" religion class. Every day we said the lord's prayer, although to me it was more just routine.

I found religion class to be more like a history class, I never found any of it spiritual or enlightening, I thought it was all a bit silly even as a little kid. My parents thought perhaps putting me in that class would give me something to believe in for whatever reason.

I turned into a hardcore Atheist in middleschool through college. Then after college I started to back off from the Atheist stance and become more of an Apathetic Agnostic, I found it hypocritical to be 100% for/against something that honestly no matter how scientific we believe ourselves to be can/cannot be proven.

Since then I can't be bothered to argue for/against either side as I find it to be pointless. Belief in a god or lack thereof and arguing about it is no longer a part of my interest, I have no ill will against those of faith as long as they don't use it to condone force against others, or proselytize their stance, that goes for atheists as well.

My only beef is with organized religion that is used as a cover for force against people. Weather it be Islam for extremists or crazy doomsday cults. I despise what organized religions does/did to the progress of science and its suppression for the betterment of humanity with the exception of people like Louis Pastor.

In summation, arguing about the existence of god is a waste of fucking time. Organized religion however is archaic and fickle when you take a look at religions that have come and gone over the course of our existence.

/wall of text
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

I see it like this. Deitys have the same amount of evidence of their existence as unicorns, boogie man, leprechauns, or any other fantasy creature. It's really hard for me to say there might possibly be a deity of any kind. But it is possible, sort of, just like it's possible that unicorns exist.

I think we're pretty much on the same page on this. The difference mostly seems to be a semantic one. Before I stumbled over the term apatheism, I couldn't decide whether I was an agnostic or an atheist. Apatheism comes closest to how I view things, but the term "weak atheism" also applies to me.

I see it like this. Deitys have the same amount of evidence of their existence as unicorns, boogie man, leprechauns, or any other fantasy creature. It's really hard for me to say there might possibly be a deity of any kind. But it is possible, sort of, just like it's possible that unicorns exist.

You realise unicorns exist? They are just fat and grey and we call them RhinosB|

Following on from what other people have said - I would also class myself more as an agnostic.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I found it hypocritical to be 100% for/against something that honestly no matter how scientific we believe ourselves to be can/cannot be proven.

Since then I can't be bothered to argue for/against either side as I find it to be pointless. Belief in a god or lack thereof and arguing about it is no longer a part of my interest, I have no ill will against those of faith as long as they don't use it to condone force against others, or proselytize their stance, that goes for atheists as well.

My only beef is with organized religion that is used as a cover for force against people. Weather it be Islam for extremists or crazy doomsday cults. I despise what organized religions does/did to the progress of science and its suppression for the betterment of humanity with the exception of people like Louis Pastor.

In summation, arguing about the existence of god is a waste of fucking time. Organized religion however is archaic and fickle when you take a look at religions that have come and gone over the course of our existence.

absolutely perfect

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'm sick of the word "atheist." Really, what is the point of labelling myself one way or another in relation to the god idea? I don't label myself according to other things that I don't believe in.

Anyhow, in answer to your question: I just never believed in a god (as defined by most religions) and have never heard a convincing argument for the existence of one.

I'm sick of the word "atheist." Really, what is the point of labelling myself one way or another in relation to the god idea? I don't label myself according to other things that I don't believe in.

Anyhow, in answer to your question: I just never believed in a god (as defined by most religions) and have never heard a convincing argument for the existence of one.

I am also an Afairyist, an Asantaist, and an Aleprechaunist.

What i dont get is why a god would favour a minority (his followers) or even our species when he created everyone and everything, i find that a very anthroposcentric idea. I keep meaning to ask my theology lecturer his opinion on that.

Back to the actual topic, i like the Buddhist answer, i think more of an emphasis should be on living well and being ethical rather than praising a deity. Siddartha Gottama was asked where everything came from, he replied that if a man mortally wounds you with an arrow, that looking for the man who shot you wont help you, but seeking help for your wound will, equating this to his question of the beggining of the universe.

I would rather live my life well and when it comes to the time when i kick the bucket, its too late for anyone to say "i told you so" either way. I think there is an assumption in the link between religion and morality that just doesnt add up for me.

I dont really care either way if god exists but i guess in an argument im going to be backing the atheist, simply because i just look at religion and see holes.

I dont have issues with anyone who believes in religion as thats their choice, i do however second the votes that people who force their faith down other peoples throats are just plain out of line.

Apologies if this is quite disjointed.

P.S this thread is way to fluffy for the SC :P

How did you arrive at the conclusion that there is no god? Was it a sudden thing or was it a slow process? How was it recieved by those closest to you?
Thanks in advance for sharing...

I was a virgin until I was 26. I think that was my first clue about there being no all-loving God

In all honesty, it's all the suffering that God lets happen. I have heard every biblical explanation for suffering and none of them work for me. As many of you know I work with very sick and dying children, It's bad enough God does this to these children but then just for shits and giggles, he really fucks with them. We have 2 kids that have had both of their parents die in the last two years. Now they have nothing, no one to visit, on one to buy them birthday or Christmas presents.

And now my favorite time of year is coming when all the well meaning Christians come in and sing Christian songs with the kids that espouse the miracles that Jesus will do if you just pray enough,
Let me tell ya, we get some hard praying kids for a while after that, We all know what the results are.

. At and early age I decided that I did exsist. Therefore there was a God..

Well, Fortson, others might disagree with that conclusion. While your existence is not in dispute, you could be the spawn of Satan.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

As I read through the candid and honest replies I see a very clear pattern emerging.

Could you elaborate a bit about that pattern?

The pattern or common thread as follows:

1. The replies indicate that no one became a Christian through a self determined choice. The church or religion was forced on them by an authority figure.
2. The decision to reject the church, God and or Christ was a rational decision made in the environment of safety and security.
3. The decision was made upon reaching a zenith of self-consciousness and self confidence.

In Luke 4, Jesus declared His ministry as follows:

18. “THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR.
HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES,
AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,
TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED,
19. TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.”

He came to preach the truth to the poor is spirit; to set free those held in bondage to behavior stemming from defects of character; to open the eyes of those who are spiritually blind; to give freedom and hope to those who are under the control and subjugation of tyrannical power.

Simply put, the respondents rejected God and Christ because they did not need Him.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

I rejected god because I couldn't square the idea of a good and all-powerful deity with a world in which little kids get cancer, and where earthquakes, floods, and other natural disasters kill thousands of innocent people, and leave countless others injured, homeless, and suffering. There is simply way too much misery and pain in this world, misery and pain that has nothing to do with human choices or actions, for me to believe in god.

I rejected god because I couldn't square the idea of a good and all-powerful deity with a world in which little kids get cancer, and where earthquakes, floods, and other natural disasters kill thousands of innocent people, and leave countless others injured, homeless, and suffering. There is simply way too much misery and pain in this world, misery and pain that has nothing to do with human choices or actions, for me to believe in god.

Why is pain and suffering such a deal breaker for the existence of God? We live in a universe defined by physical processes that science is just now beginning to understand. The natural process is life and death amidst a changing environment. Even though we are in the world, God gives us a mindset that is not of the world.

Slow, gradual process. I was raised in a mostly non-religious household. We'd go to church from time to time but it was mostly a social thing - major holidays, or because a family friend or extended family member wanted us to go. I mostly felt awkward and uncomfortable because the church setting was unfamiliar to me and as a pretty shy & awkward kid, I was always worried about inadvertently doing something wrong that would call attention to myself. So I was mostly quiet and polite and tried to stay invisible.

I grew to be pretty cynical about organized religion, but hadn't rejected the concept of a god. In my 20s I actually decided to give church a try - kind of thinking "I shouldn't reject out of hand something I haven't given a fair shake," and a friend and I went to a couple different Presbyterian churches fairly regularly (couple times a month, anyway) for a year or so. Throughout that whole time, I thought that it was a nice experience; a chance to sit quietly and reflect in a pretty setting, hear a (sometimes) good speaker talk about a particular moral issue, and listen to some nice music. Other than that, though, I didn't get anything out of it. I didn't suddenly believe. I didn't feel the presence of god. I mostly thought "these seem like nice people but I don't get what they're getting out of this."

So I stopped going to church, with the rare exception of weddings & funerals, or an occasional service with my parents when I visit them, or touring churches as architectural/historical sites when I'm traveling.

I guess I trucked along as your basic agnostic after that, till I started to really think about it and challenge myself to understand why I might still doubt. I read a lot and asked myself some key questions. And somewhere along the line, I was able to admit to myself that I truly didn't believe in god.

Now, as I said in the other thread, I'm about as apathetic an atheist as there is. I don't try to convince anyone to see it my way, and I'm all about mutual tolerance; please don't try to convince me to believe what you believe, because I'm not going to try to convince you to believe what I (don't) believe. I will attend religious services like weddings and funerals with respect because it's not about me and my (non) belief, it's about the person or people being celebrated. I dig the heck out of gospel music and some other music with religious themes. I appreciate a lot of the art and architecture that's been created in the name of religion. Doesn't mean I'm not still varying between skeptical, cynical, and angry about some of the crap that is perpetuated by organized religion and believers, but I can appreciate the good stuff it's brought, too.

I resent any implication that because I don't believe in a god, that I am also amoral. Far from it; I've got a strong moral compass that guides me day-to-day in evaluating right and wrong. It's got no origins in religious teaching, nor is it managed through religious teaching.

As for "how it was received" ... as I mentioned I'm pretty passive so it's not like I went to my family and said "Mom, Dad, I've got something to tell you - I'm an atheist." Not that I think my parents would care one way or another, the topic just hasn't come up. I've got extended family that's pretty deeply religious, but I'm not super-close to them, so it's easiest to just keep the topic of religion out of the few conversations we do have.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I think Kallend became an Atheist after many years of cheering on the Cubs.

Yup. That will do it. I agree. Cubs fan for years here.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

. . .but in seriousness.

I believe there are some people that cannot truly test their belief that there is a better place to go and a higher diety to answer after death as an athiest till they are faced with their own mortality on a regular basis. And i'm not talking about the simple act of hurling one's own self out of a plane. There is a phrase that is thrown out there. . ."there's no athiests in a foxhole". I've met many athiests who have been in that proverbial "foxhole" while I played "U. S. Army" in Iraq. They weren't S2 or HHC's. They were 2/502 and and 3ID 11B's and 25A's that played outside the wire on a regular basis. I played also. I didn't convert to Christ. I had my nightsweats the evening before the mission up Route Tampa/Irish as usual, and I faced my mortality regulary. This wasn't stubborness. I know that I would never know that I was dead. I would know nothing. The end. My worry was about my wife and daughter, not some silly day of reconing that is to become.

I never really believed. Just felt wrong for some reason. It was when I was older when I was able to research other literature, visit actual places in the Bible and talk to the locals of said area that had a different, if secular reasoning behind what was written in the books, that I realised the difference between the magical qualities of those who never been outside the Bible Belt with their belief and the locals who have lived many generations in on and around the magical areas described. Here, I learned that it was all crap.

And you know what? If someone else believes, I would never in my life try to take that away from them. I wouldn't argue against God existing. It's unethical to do this in my opinion. It doesn't take anything away from me. Hell, If my daughter takes up with religion, I would even support her. In the end, it doesn't hurt me.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I wouldn't go to any MLB game even if they gave me free tickets, free parking and free beer. Ditto for NBA.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I wouldn't go to any MLB game even if they gave me free tickets, free parking and free beer. Ditto for NBA.

NFL?

Leprechauns do exist. :P
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

The problem of evil isn't really an argument against the existence of god(s) it's an argument against the existence of a couple of specific gods. Nowhere in the job description it states that a god has to be good or even interested in humanity.

Nowhere in the job description it states that a god has to be good or even interested in humanity.

Assuming a god not described by the Old or New Testament. However, if you're talking about THAT god, it most definitely DOES come with the job description.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver