DesertAttorney

"Occupy Occupy Wall Street"

http://www.occupyoccupywallstreet.org/

“To be angry at the wealthiest Americans for their success is simply childish jealousy from those who have failed to create the same opportunities themselves,”

YES.

“America is not kindergarten; there are winners and losers. This is a country where if you work hard in the right field you can become extremely wealthy."

HELL YES.

So the Kennedy's children are rich and really poor people's children have the same opportunity to be rich?

If so, why on earth do rich people want their children to have all possible opportunities?

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Link

Even in Zuccotti Park, greed is good.

Occupy Wall Street’s Finance Committee has nearly $500,000 in the bank, and donations continue to pour in -- but its reluctance to share the wealth with other protesters is fraying tempers.

Some drummers -- incensed they got no money to replace or safeguard their drums after a midnight vandal destroyed their instruments Wednesday -- are threatening to splinter off.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Comprised of investment bankers in the wealthiest 1%,

Let me get this straight, the bankers who should be in the poor house for being fucking stupid, but instead were bailed out and still have a job because of my tax dollars, have the nerve to protest the people that bailed them out? Fucking priceless, you can't make this shit up.

I'm not jealous, I'm just questioning your statement that everyone has the same opportunity to be rich.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Link

Even in Zuccotti Park, greed is good.

Occupy Wall Street’s Finance Committee has nearly $500,000 in the bank, and donations continue to pour in -- but its reluctance to share the wealth with other protesters is fraying tempers.

Some drummers -- incensed they got no money to replace or safeguard their drums after a midnight vandal destroyed their instruments Wednesday -- are threatening to splinter off.

How the fuck does banging a fuckin' drum accomplish anything other than making noise?

OTOH, anything that sends these useless hippies home is a good thing...

Comprised of investment bankers in the wealthiest 1%,

Let me get this straight, the bankers who should be in the poor house for being fucking stupid, but instead were bailed out and still have a job because of my tax dollars, have the nerve to protest the people that bailed them out? Fucking priceless, you can't make this shit up.

How cute your naivete is.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

How the fuck does banging a fuckin' drum accomplish anything other than making noise?

apparently the drum circle was quite the money raiser. So much so that the general assembly at OWS levied a tax of 50% on their tips. Even though they have this 500K bankroll. They are becoming a copy of the greedy entities they are protesting.
--
Rob

apparently the drum circle was quite the money raiser. So much so that the general assembly at OWS levied a tax of 50% on their tips. Even though they have this 500K bankroll. They are becoming a copy of the greedy entities they are protesting.

Oh, I don't know. They aren't asking taxpayers to pay them personal $multi-million bonuses like the AIG execs did.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Oh, I don't know. They aren't asking taxpayers to pay them personal $multi-million bonuses like the AIG execs did.

ok, let's talk scale though.

the OWS general assembly is asking for half the drum circle's income which ranges reportedly $150-$300 collected "tax". So what's the proper number for scaling that $multi-million figure with? The GDP of the US taxpayers? http://www.google.com/publicdata/explore?ds=d5bncppjof8f9_&met_y=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:USA&dl=en&hl=en&q=us+gdp $14.119T in 2009 (scaled dollars)

so the AIG bonuses were what... $220M-ish? So they wanted 0.002% of the GDP (check my math, using a shell based calculator) vs 50% of the drum circle's income?

GDP may not be the best number to use for scale. Just pulled it out of a hat. I'm open to a different comparison.
--
Rob

so the AIG bonuses were what.

AIG should have gone out of business, and none of their execs should have been rewarded. The only reason they weren't allowed to do that is because pretty much all insurance issued in America, and lots of other places in the world, works its way back to AIG. Governments, etc., didn't do their counterparty risk assessment.
We are all engines of karma

OK, $550 thousand vs $200+ MILLION. And the AIG execs bankrupted their company and bled the taxpayers. On the greedy scale there's just no comparison. Leeches!

OK, $550 thousand vs $200+ MILLION. And the AIG execs bankrupted their company and bled the taxpayers. On the greedy scale there's just no comparison. Leeches!

AIG....isn't that the company whose top exec took a $1 salary and no bonus in 08/09?

Why, yes...yes it is.

Funny thing about those bonuses you rail about....

For example, Obama’s “pay czar,” Kenneth Feinberg, on Wednesday approved a $4 million raise for AIG CEO Robert Benmosche.

Then, of course, there's Freddy/Fannie...

The federal regulator of bailed-out mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac defended plans Friday to give $210 million in retention bonuses to employees he said had lost years of savings when the companies’ stock collapsed in 2008.

Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm not jealous, I'm just questioning your statement that everyone has the same opportunity to be rich.

Wendy P.

The ones claiming that are usually those who are born on third base.... and will ALWAYS believe it was they themselves who hit those home runs

The ones claiming that are usually those who are born on third base.... and will ALWAYS believe it was they themselves who hit those home runs

I wasn't born anywhere close to 3rd base. First person in my family to go to college, and struggled to pay for college tuition. I've done nothing but work my ass off from the get-go. Am I as successful as others with whom I've crossed paths? No, I'm not. And I have only myself to blame for that. There are things that I've learned, very important things, that my kids will definitely know about. That's part of raising a family. Those families that have earned that knowledge, more power to them.
We are all engines of karma

>To be angry at the wealthiest Americans for their success is simply childish jealousy
>from those who have failed to create the same opportunities themselves

And to be angry at those who demonstrate to promote their political viewpoint is to be pitifully insecure in your own viewpoints.

>America is not kindergarten; there are winners and losers. This is a country where if
>you work hard in the right field you can become extremely wealthy . . .

Yes, you can. You can also do no work in any field and wind up extremely wealthy. Not everyone who works hard in the right field can make it; not everyone who makes it worked hard.

AIG....isn't that the company whose top exec took a $1 salary and no bonus in 08/09?

Why, yes...yes it is.

For example, Obama’s “pay czar,” Kenneth Feinberg, on Wednesday approved a $4 million raise for AIG CEO Robert Benmosche.

The federal regulator of bailed-out mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac defended plans Friday to give $210 million in retention bonuses to employees he said had lost years of savings when the companies’ stock collapsed in 2008.

So you agree that corporate execs are greedier than the protesters. Cool.

And to be angry at those who demonstrate to promote their political viewpoint is to be pitifully insecure in your own viewpoints.

I don't get the connection...

angry at those who demonstrate = pitifully insecure in your own viewpoints

????
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Why, yes...yes it is.

So you agree that corporate goverment department execs are greedier than the protesters. Cool.

Fixed it for you.

And the gov dept heads are using these usful idiots to help them:)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I don't get the connection...

angry at those who demonstrate = pitifully insecure in your own viewpoints

Anger at a political (i.e., subjective) position/demonstration is a childish response. That's pretty basic. the appropriate response is always to try to understand their position and then determine your own.

though it seems no one cares to try to understand the other viewpoint at all - too many simpletons think "understand = agree" which is completely a false/weakminded position

However, aren't people that are driven to 'demonstrate' typically expressing some form of anger as well?

So we have childish responses to childish demonstrations - it's quite a puzzle

but I think it's true - look at the reaction to the Wall Street protesters - look at the reaction to the Tea Party demonstrations.

plenty of childishness to go around

I wonder what 'mild amusement' to these people indicate? probably something bad too.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

So the Kennedy's children are rich and really poor people's children have the same opportunity to be rich?

If so, why on earth do rich people want their children to have all possible opportunities?

Wendy P.

Each of us is born under different circumstances with different gifts, talents, etc. I was born with some ambition and with parents who were poor but encouraged me to get educated. I happened to hear some prospective jurors talking in court yesterday, and one mentioned she is not in school “because I can’t get a grant.” And that has stopped her.

I couldn’t get a grant. So it meant I had to get a scholarship and all it cost me was a few years of Uncle Sam owning me and working two jobs. When there’s motivation it gets done but it bothered me that because she won’t have it given to her then she’s not going to do it. Sure, this is not a situation that occurs with trust fund kids, but it is what it is.

I happened to go to law school with some trust fund kids. Some were successful, others were not. But like it or not, we were in the same place at the same time. All of us of different and diverse backgrounds came from different places, took different routes and were in he same place. And those trust fund kids passed the Bar exam and I tip my hat to them because nobody is handed a license to do what I do. I worked my ass off and so did they.

My goal? I’d like to make my kids trust fund children. I have this urgent desire to give my kids all the benefits I had growing up and to also give them those things I wish I had but did not have. I want my kids to have those advantages and to set them up for it.

I’m not rich. I want my children to have all possible opportunities because I am a selfish man. I want to give my kids what I can give them and for them to work their asses off for those things that I cannot give them that they want.

What’s the difference between my selfishness and the selfishness of, say, the “Occupiers?” I ADMIT that I’m selfish. The Occupiers are also selfish – they want for themselves what other people have. But they are dishonest about it. They do not view themselves as selfish because they believe that they have some higher justification – some moral reason that causes them to contort their selfishness into selflessness.

Think about it – what to the Occupiers want? They want what others have and they want a policy that takes it from them to give to others. Most notably themselves. Here’s what I think about it: instead of telling the investment bankers to give back the money, try being an investment banker and THEN give away YOUR money. It’s notable that you have the likes of Kanye West and Jay-Z and Russell Simmons out there to show their support – gazillionaires who aren’t likely to part with any of their earned fortunes.

We all want more. We all want more for us. The Occupiers are greedy, but simply want it given to them. And instead of protesting Congress – who GAVE Wall Street the bailouts – they protest the banks who RECEIVED they bailouts.

My wife is hotter than your wife.