Amazon

Que the Twilight Zone theme yet again!!!!

Michele Bachmann promises $2 gas

Candidates make a lot of promises on the campaign trail, but super-cheap gas isn't normally one of them. It's pretty much impossible for one lawmaker to accomplish that.

But Michele Bachmann is going to try.

"The day that the president became president, gasoline was $1.79 a gallon. Look at what it is today," she said in South Carolina. "Under President Bachmann, you will see gasoline come down below $2 a gallon again. That will happen."

The average national price for a gallon of gas Thursday was $3.59.

Bachman didn't say how she would accomplish this. No president can control oil prices, which gasoline pricing is tied to. She wants to start drilling in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge as soon as possible, but Autoblog notes a May 2008 report from the Energy Information Administration that said opening the refuge may not change gas prices at all.

Opening ANWR, according to the report, is expected to reduce oil as follows: "A reduction in low-sulfur, light crude oil prices of $0.41 per barrel (2006 dollars) in 2026 for the low oil resource case, $0.75 per barrel in 2025 for the mean oil resource case, and $1.44 per barrel in 2027 for the high oil resource case, relative to the reference case."

Time Magazine calls Bachmann's promise a fantasy, saying perhaps the only way it could happen is if Bachmann's economic policies were so disastrous that she threw the world back into a deep recession. "So maybe it's not so impossible after all -- as long as you're willing to endure a little collateral damage," Bryan Walsh writes.

The Economist cites Bachmann's opposition to raising the debt ceiling, noting that a failure to raise it would have immediately chopped government spending and wrecked the economy further. "Personally, I have total confidence that Ms. Bachmann can bring back cheap petroleum, one way or another," the Magazine's Washington correspondent wrote.

Michele Bachmann promises $2 gas
Candidates make a lot of promises on the campaign trail, but super-cheap gas isn't normally one of them. It's pretty much impossible for one lawmaker to accomplish that.

But Michele Bachmann is going to try.

"The day that the president became president, gasoline was $1.79 a gallon. Look at what it is today," she said in South Carolina. "Under President Bachmann, you will see gasoline come down below $2 a gallon again. That will happen."

The average national price for a gallon of gas Thursday was $3.59.

Bachman didn't say how she would accomplish this. No president can control oil prices, which gasoline pricing is tied to.

America spends more on our military than the entire rest of the world put together. Maybe we'll get a return on that investment when we kick their asses and take their oil.

Bachmann didn't say how she would accomplish this.

I have a hint: it's the same as candidate Richard Nixon's "secret plan" to end the Vietnam War, which he promised during the 1968 campaign. (Which is to say: no fucking plan at all.)

Yeah, right! She can promise all she wants but 'Big Oil' controls the prices at the pumps. They'll use any cheap excuse they can come-up with to keep prices high. Every time gasoline prices go up, upper echelon oil employees get huge bonuses and they like it that way.

Chuck

Yeah, right! She can promise all she wants

What's funny is that there are only-God-knows how many bozos out here that will fall for that same old "promise them anything to get elected" BS.

That right there is enough of a red flag to tell me I'm voting for somebody else.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

There are so many smart women ... why do the Republicans keep pushing retards like Palin and Bachmann?

Who do you think would be better?

(by the way, I am not defending her or her statement but I do believe prices could be reduced if the restrictions here were lightned up)

So again, who would be a smarter republican woman to put up as a canidate?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Funny how Nancy Pelosi thought the president had much more control over gas prices...

"Mr. President, do not fill the strategic petroleum reserve with oil at record highs. Instead, take out the oil that we brought at a lower price to bring down the price of oil, to reduce the price at the pump," says Speaker Pelosi.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Yeah, right! She can promise all she wants

What's funny is that there are only-God-knows how many bozos out here that will fall for that same old "promise them anything to get elected" BS.

That right there is enough of a red flag to tell me I'm voting for somebody else.

You got that right! These politicians are such good bull-shit artists, they make it tough. Promising lower gas prices at the pumps, is really pushing the boundaries of bull-shit.

Chuck

There are so many smart women ... why do the Republicans keep pushing retards like Palin and Bachmann?

I would like to point out that the person who started this thread to criticize this so-called retarded woman, doesn't know how to spell "queue" correctly...

Take the example of Republican Christine Todd Whitman. Sharp as a whip, long career in government, successful 2-term Governor of New Jersey. Then she became Bush's Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, where she was repeatedly marginalized for trying to do her job conscientiously (which meant actually trying to protect the environment, (uh- see name of agency...) instead of toeing the right-wing anti-environmentalist line); and eventually she resigned in disgust.

In 2005, she released a book entitled, It's My Party, Too: Taking Back the Republican Party... And Bringing the Country Together Again - the title of which pretty much speaks for itself. She also has founded a political action committee called It's My Party Too - again which is fairly self-explanatory.

So instead of a smart, capable and conscientious Republican woman like Whitman being embraced and nurtured by at the national level, she's shunted aside, and is left with playing the "outsider looking in" to her own party. Instead, the poster-child female champions put up on the Republican party are people like Bachmann and Palin and (for God's sake) Christine O'Donnell.

And my friend Lawrocket calls us to task for calling Republicans "stupid". Well, this is why, Jerry.

President Obama could approve the Keystone pipeline and this would then allow the US to import more oil from a stable trading partner (Canada) and not rely so much on oil from politically unstable countries in the Middle East and South America. But does Obama do this? No he does not. Why?

Bachmann is like all the other politicians. Someone who will say anything for votes and she is only following the lead of the existing Pinocchio who presently occupies the White House.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

>So, are people who would fall for that shit actually allowed to vote?

Sure. We've seen similar posts on here and in the popular media. "Drill domestically, it will bring us cheap gas!" That meme has been around for decades; she's just capitalizing on it.

I would like to point out that the person who started this thread to criticize this so-called retarded woman, doesn't know how to spell "queue" correctly...

Nor to distinguish between a queue, which is a line, and a cue, which is a stage direction.

Thus, the order would be along the lines of " cue theme."

Take the example of Republican Christine Todd Whitman. Sharp as a whip, long career in government, successful 2-term Governor of New Jersey. Then she became Bush's Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, where she was repeatedly marginalized for trying to do her job conscientiously (which meant actually trying to protect the environment, (uh- see name of agency...) instead of toeing the right-wing anti-environmentalist line); and eventually she resigned in disgust.

In 2005, she released a book entitled, It's My Party, Too: Taking Back the Republican Party... And Bringing the Country Together Again - the title of which pretty much speaks for itself. She also has founded a political action committee called It's My Party Too - again which is fairly self-explanatory.

So instead of a smart, capable and conscientious Republican woman like Whitman being embraced and nurtured by at the national level, she's shunted aside, and is left with playing the "outsider looking in" to her own party. Instead, the poster-child female champions put up on the Republican party are people like Bachmann and Palin and (for God's sake) Christine O'Donnell.

And my friend Lawrocket calls us to task for calling Republicans "stupid". Well, this is why, Jerry.

I showed up at the airport in New Jersey where my airplane was based, and the the owner was sitting at his desk with a shocked look on his face. He said "did you see the car that just left? That was the Governor!"

It turns out that, after he spent years butting heads with bureaucrats in Trenton in the attempt to upgrade the airport, the Governor took matters into her own hands. She showed up in a Gov't pool sedan, without entourage or press presence, asked what was needed, and took notes for two hours.

The airport now has working runway lights, a rotating beacon and a freshly paved runway.

Christie Whitman is one of the good guys, and I would vote for her in a heartbeat.

Blue skies,

Winsor