JohnRich

Incandescent Light Bulbs Banned

News:
LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms

Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.

Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.

The new bulbs will also be expensive — about $50 each...
Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/ap_on_hi_te/us_led_lighting;_ylt=AsE3Gkdtse.WMyLRBM_sWOCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNqNzVocWJlBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNTE2L3VzX2xlZF9saWdodGluZwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzgEcG9zAzUEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNs

Start stockpiling your light bulbs now! Lock them up and cling to them along with your guns and your bible.

Same shit happened here. 100 Watt bulbs are no longer in stock and so are 80 Watt bulbs. It's just as stupid as the gov't requiring the petrol business to sell a certain percentage of "biofuel" (10% ethanol added). They should concentrate on reducing the huge deficit etc...
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Face it... LEDs are the light of the future, or so it would seem. My "biggest" concern was whether or not they emit the right wavelengths of light for a small, hydroponic indoor garden. They do, so I'm good. :)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I don't mind paying $50 for a 100-watt light bulb ... In 50 years I'll make my money back!

Duuuuh!

The only real saving you will see....fire.
No joke you would be amazed at how many fires are caused by the heat off of 100watt light bulbs.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

The only real saving you will see....fire.
No joke you would be amazed at how many fires are caused by the heat off of 100watt light bulbs.

Well... you won't grow anything (except your elect bill) by trying to garden with incandescent light bulbs, which is why high pressure sodium and metal halide or flourescents are used instead. As anyone who has tried their thumbs at indoor gardening can tell you, heat IS a factor to contend with. Typically, a fan for circulation and and ventilation system of some sort is needed to keep the heat to a minimum.... but that increases the elec bill as well. So without breaking out a calculator and crunching the numbers, I'd imagine that using led lights without the vent system would make noticable difference when writing the checks every month.
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

Keep consuming your eco KoolAid while you worship your new "Global Warming" religious beliefs. If fires are being caused, it is the result of faulty wiring, not light bulbs. But incandescent light bulbs do cause heat and for those of us who live in northern climates, this is a good thing. They are not our sole source of heat for our homes, but they do help and when the eco fruit cakes succeed in banning all incandescent light bulbs this will only drive up more energy consumption on other sources of fuel to keep us warm. Come spend a winter where it gets really cold and you will understand why eco wackos are just that. Wackos.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Come spend a winter where it gets really cold and you will understand why eco wackos are just that. Wackos.

note the population of Canada versus the US. And note the population in the US of the warmer states versus the colder ones.

Use heaters for heat, not inefficient lights or computers.

Nothing wrong for educating people on making their homes energy efficient and nothing wrong with allowing people to make the choice of what kind of light bulb they want to use. But banning incandescent light bulbs is just plain dumb. Heat may be a trivial thing to you, but it is a matter of life and death to others.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Start stockpiling your light bulbs now! Lock them up and cling to them along with your guns and your bible.

It's time to retire the Easy-Bake Oven.

Also, you forgot the option for "The $1.75 compact fluorescents work just fine."

They are not our sole source of heat for our homes, but they do help and when the eco fruit cakes succeed in banning all incandescent light bulbs this will only drive up more energy consumption on other sources of fuel to keep us warm.

Have you done any kind of calculation on this? When I am home, I generally only have a couple of lights on. Maybe one or two. With LED I would still have those lights on, but have a savings in electricity used.

My furnace is a lot more efficient at providing heating than incandescent bulbs. Hence, I have this feeling that the savings in electricity would more than offset the extra gas needed for heating.

Hence, I think there would be a positive delta (maybe better termed a negative delta, since less is used?) in energy usage (and for my cheque book).

Do you have any actual calculations though to show differently?

It's time to retire the Easy-Bake Oven.

And generations of women will grow up, not knowing how to make brownies for thier men... :(

Also, you forgot the option for "The $1.75 compact fluorescents work just fine."

Quote:
"Compact fluorescents are the most obvious replacement, but they have drawbacks. They contain a small amount of toxic mercury vapor, which is released if they break or are improperly thrown away. They last longer than traditional bulbs but not as long as LEDs. Brighter models are bulky and may not fit in existing fixtures."
First they come for your incandescents, and if no one revolts, then they'll come back for your fluorescents. Before you know it, you'll be sitting in dim gloom like a cave man.

I'm thinking of reviving whale oil lamps!

There are plenty of cheaper options besides a $50 LED bulb, but I gotta admit, I like having my dimmers. Those will be a thing of the past.

You can put dimmers on LED bulbs - I've got an LED camp lantern that does that.

A drawback I've had with my LED lantern is that each one acts like a tiny little flashlight, casting a narrow beam of light. In order to read in my tent by my LED lantern light, I have to tilt and rotate the lantern just right, so that one of those narrow beams falls on the page of my book. The general glow is much too dim to read by.

And to get 360º lighting, they take 20 LEDS, and put them around a column, four stacks of five LEDS each, each column spaced 90º apart. So you end up with bands of light, and bands of dark. And the light bands are directional pointing outward, not up or down. Cooking breakfast in the dark, you have to set the lantern up high on something, and put a rock under one edge, to cast light downward onto your camp stove and table.

I don't want that kind of lighting in my home...

But they are terrific on battery life - a set of four D-cells has already gone several years for me. Whereas some of those flourescent lanterns will eat those up in 24 hours of usage.

Yeah, I'm not sure what I was really thinking. I have several dimmable led flashlights and headlamps for outdoors.

I guess I was mainly thinking comp flour, don't dim. I do know the dimming features on LED's is a little more limited. They can basically only get so dim before they black out, where as an incandescant is not limited to how you dim it.

There is something nicer about the light and incandescant bulb puts out, but other than the dimming circuits in my house, I already have everything changed over to compact flourescents, so changing a few dimming circuits to LED won't be that big of a deal to me, and I'll probaby do it eventually either way.

... and gold!! ;)

A wise man once told me "Investing your money in silver and gold is foolish. Instead, invest lead and brass. If you have a decent stockpile of lead and brass, you can get all of the silver and gold you want.":P
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

News:

LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms

Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.

Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.

The new bulbs will also be expensive — about $50 each...
Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/ap_on_hi_te/us_led_lighting;_ylt=AsE3Gkdtse.WMyLRBM_sWOCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNqNzVocWJlBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNTE2L3VzX2xlZF9saWdodGluZwRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzgEcG9zAzUEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl9oZWFkbGluZV9saXN0BHNsawNs

Its a nightmare John, its already happened in Europe. Now I can't see a bloody thing, tun on a light and you have to wait for ten minutes for the bloody thing to 'warm up'>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Yes it pisses me off! Do they save energy? YES of course they do because after the first week no one bloody well bothers turning the light on because ITS POINTLESS!!!:S:S:S>:(>:(>:(AAARRRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!>:(

P.S The biggest problem with your poll is that I can only vote keep out of my light sockets once.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

>But incandescent light bulbs do cause heat and for those of us who live in
>northern climates, this is a good thing.

They are the most inefficient source of heat there is. If you have your own hydro plant and have some extra energy you need to dump they're a good option though (which is why they are actually used on microhydro diverter loads.)

>banning all incandescent light bulbs this will only drive up more energy
>consumption on other sources of fuel to keep us warm.

It would decrease it, actually.

Incandescents also have their drawbacks. The cause heat, they can create fires, they're expensive to run (as opposed to buy), and they don't last all that long as compared with the alternatives. That means the possibility of injury replacing ceiling bulbs.

We've gotten used to those downsides, so we don't think about them. But we've gotten used to unleaded gas, too. And you can still buy it as a specialty item -- maybe that's what incandescent bulbs should be.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)