JohnRich

Incandescent Light Bulbs Banned

Isn't General Electric the 'big winner' in this deal?

Phillips makes a lot of light bulbs too. I'm wondering if these manufacturing companies have already been forced to invest in millions of dollars of new manufacturing equipment for the forced change-over, which now might not actually happen? Have hardware stores invested millions in inventory of new bulbs that the public will now not buy? Both of which will drive up the consumer prices, causing consumers to collectively spend millions more for bulbs.

This is good example of how government edicts cost everyone a lot of money.

Phillips makes a lot of light bulbs too. I'm wondering if these manufacturing companies have already been forced to invest in millions of dollars of new manufacturing equipment for the forced change-over, which now might not actually happen? Have hardware stores invested millions in inventory of new bulbs that the public will now not buy? Both of which will drive up the consumer prices, causing consumers to collectively spend millions more for bulbs.

Sounds to me like someone capitalizing off the 'climate crisis' thing.

Chuck

It is for the children.B|

>Isn't General Electric the 'big winner' in this deal?

as i understand it big business was the ones who pushed for the bill. places like Walmart were the ones who lobbied FOR cfl's. reason was pretty simple. what do you think your margin is on a 30cent lightbulb vs. a $6 one.(not exact prices)? its not like they can NOT carry light bulbs. so if you have to pay to stock them why wouldnt you want the gov't to basically mandate a huge profit for you.

this was the only time i didnt side with Walmart on something.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

I still think there's a big market for the CFL's. I like to leave my front door and garage lights on all night long and they use less electricity than incandescents. OTOH, I like incandescents for reading and general interior lighting.

So I think both have a place in the market. I'm glad I still have a choice.

as i understand it big business was the ones who pushed for the bill. places like Walmart were the ones who lobbied FOR cfl's. reason was pretty simple. what do you think your margin is on a 30cent lightbulb vs. a $6 one.(not exact prices)? its not like they can NOT carry light bulbs. so if you have to pay to stock them why wouldnt you want the gov't to basically mandate a huge profit for you.

this was the only time i didnt side with Walmart on something.

I've read where GE has really climbed onto the 'climate' bandwagon. I don't mind a 'change' but when the govt. steps-in and is basically forcing people to buy something, I don't like it. Especially when one corporation stands to profit, I smell a rat. It smells of under the table dealings between the government and big business. If, both types of bulbs are left so people can make a choice, great! I like being able to make a choice.

Chuck

The utilities wanted it - avoid the need to build more power plants. So much so that they subsidized the selling price of the bulbs in many instances.

Those prices are very far from not exact - remember the not really $6 bulb last much longer than then 30cent one. They have their places.

The way I see it, it's simple. GE and others stood to make a bundle off the sale of those squigly, high dollar light bulbs. If, it's the only thing out there, people are forced to buy it. I'm just glad the ban didn't go through. I don't need the government telling me what I must buy and giving big business a boost in profits at the same time.

Chuck

>>LED bulbs hit 100 watts as federal ban looms

>Now I can't see a bloody thing, tun on a light and you have to wait for ten minutes for
> the bloody thing to 'warm up'

LED's don't need warmup times. You are thinking of standard-ballast CFL lights.

The way I see it, it's simple. GE and others stood to make a bundle off the sale of those squigly, high dollar light bulbs.

Nah. It was just the Weirdo Coalition.
Those rounded incandescents were prone to breakage.
Those squiggly ones are less prone and they are easier to insert...just screw it right up in there and they are good to go.

Fookin goobermint.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I still think there's a big market for the CFL's.

I have now stopped buying CFL's now that I really like the light coming from some of the newer LED's -- the Philips Ambient LED bulb actually outputs a nicer light than most CFL's (warm incandescent white), and is efficiently dimmable. They don't wear if you turn them on/off rapidly, either.

Granted, they are insanely expensive, but I think in 10 years from now, LED will be cheap and practically replace CFL, because the light quality (from the *better* models of LED bulbs) is finally starting to become better quality than CFL, with more advantages -- including dimmability for some of the better models, and this one LED model shines both upwards and downwards (something not all LED does).

Make sure you watch the lumens ratings though, there's a LOT of crap LED bulbs on the market. And make sure CRI is at least 80 minimum -- otherwise it looks crap. That's the current problem -- good model LED bulbs lost in the mix of crap model LED bulbs.

I think GE LED bulbs are inferior than the Philips AmbientLED bulb, most of them are not dimmable -- I hate that. There should be mandated dimmability for all LED bulbs, since it now costs only a few pennies extra to add the extra electronics to an expensive LED bulb.

A "version 2" of the Philips bulb is at http://www.lightingprize.org -- now THAT should be the new benchmark for an incandescent replacement, if it can be manufactured cheaply. A CRI of 93%, fully dimmable, only 9.7 watt with more light than a 60W incandescent, 910 lumens, 2700K color temp, and can these bulbs survived tests where all CFL's broke down (clicky with photos) ... this bulb is coming out in 2012 to replace the already-very-good current Philips LED "60-watt replacement" one on the market.

We'll still need incandescent for various purposes, so there were exceptions for oven lights, etc.

CREE makes good LED downlights (CR6). They are expensive (~$53) but last forever (50,000 hours) and use 10.5 Watts for an honest 65 Watt equivalent. At San Francisco energy rates, that is about a 1 year payback on lights that are on most of the day. Color temperature is nearly identical to incandescent at 2700, and they dim to 5%. Retrofit into a standard 6" can in about 2 mins.

http://www.polar-ray.com/Cree-CR6-Series_c_118.html

$40 at Home Depot, slightly less in quantity. I bought one to try in the wife's kitchen, and it has surprisingly wide beam width -- quite usable with the can light spacing she had for incandescents.

I'll still limit their use to lights that are on a lot; otherwise they will never pay for themselves vs. incandescents, much less vs. FL or CFL.

One nice thing about the LEDs is that they stay the same color when you dim them, since it is a bandgap thing rather than a temperature thing, unlike the incandescent lights which go very yellow.

http://www.homedepot.com/EcoSmart/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ4b8/R-202240932/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

The New bulb was a scam..and those of you that fell for this scam , need to start looking at things a little closer.;)

We are!
And we're using better light to do it!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239