JohnRich

Should the U.S. intervene in Libya?

Just a quick note: Allah Akbar means "God is Great"

"God Willing" is Inshallah

I'm sure someone else will correct my poor transliteration.

"God is great"

"Hello"

"Goodbye"

"I really hope this works"

"I really hope I don't die doing this"

"I really hope I do die doing this"

"I'm a Muslim too, so don't kill me for being an infidel"

"Fuck you"

It's a pretty universal and useful saying.

hahahaha

Over here the casual greeting is "Sala'am" ("Peace" [which is oddly in short supply (note also the simillarity to "Shalom" which is Hebraic for the same thing (unsurprising, given the Semitic origins of both Jews and Arabs)]). If one means to be more formal or respectful, it's "Sala'am Allaikhum" ("Peace be unto you"). "Aloha" it ain't, but it's kinda cool.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

While quade was being an ass about it, he does have a valid point. Arab culture is a little different.

He wasn't being an ass about it; he was being completely truthful. My first reaction upon reading Canuck's moronic post was how breathtakingly ignorant of Muslim culture his statement was - but then I saw that Quade beat me to it.

A Muslim saying "Allahu Akhbar" is like a Catholic genuflecting. Failure to recognize that is simply ignorant.

He wasn't being an ass about it; he was being completely truthful. My first reaction upon reading Canuck's moronic post was how breathtakingly ignorant of Muslim culture his statement was - but then I saw that Quade beat me to it. A Muslim saying "Allahu Akhbar" is like a Catholic genuflecting. Failure to recognize that is simply ignorant.

I love how not only do the Liberal moderators allow their fellow Liberals to personally attack people on this website, but it is even more hilarious when the Liberal moderators themselves send their own personal attacks. I was asking "Do we really know who is behind these Libyan rebels" and I am greeting with "you are a moron and are ignorant" personal attacks from not only yourself but also from a specific moderator who is obviously not very moderate.

Back on topic (if you are all finished attacking people who do not share you views on how society must be socially engineered to operate), how much do we know about the people who are behind and supplying these rebels.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

>A Muslim saying "Allahu Akhbar" is like a Catholic genuflecting.

Yep. It's like hearing a murderer say "Goddammit!" when he's taken down, and then using that to claim that he's a Christian religious extremist who is symptomatic of the violence promulgated by the Catholic church.

the Liberal moderators

You mean the one who let slide being called an ass?
Talk to the hand.

I didn't call him an ass, I said he was being an ass about it. Reading is fundamental, Andy9o8 esquire.

Yes, Canuck's post did show a certain lack of knowledge in the area, but that was no reason for Quade to turn around and basically post "your an idiot."

This is the hypocrisy of the left. They claim to be all for the rights of everyone, to be all inclusive, and to be fair and even minded. When the opportunity comes around to educate and have an honest conversation what happens?

Quade's following comment could have been said with a nasally voice while looking down his nose. The implication was he was one of the unwashed masses. The following comments by both parties degenerated from there.

If the left wants to claim to be the adult in the room, they should act like it.

As far as the rest of it, I think your right. It would be useless to help anyone at this point. Kadaffi is rolling out the big guns with the military. Any resistance at this point is going to be fractured pockets that will be hard to organize. If we wanted to get rid of Kadaffi, we missed our chance.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

When the opportunity comes around to educate and have an honest conversation what happens?

Contrary to popular opinion, the internet wasn't created for education, but rather entertainment.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

When the opportunity comes around to educate and have an honest conversation what happens?

Contrary to popular opinion, the internet wasn't created for education, but rather entertainment.

I thought Al Gore invented it for the Children . . . Think of the children.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I thought Al Gore invented it for the Children . . . Think of the children.

As a child, the last thing i remember about the internet was being banned from AOL!

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpdCJKPHzh8

It's amazing how life changes so quickly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezt0fV_g1Ew

*edit*

lol...2000 megabytes!
:D

A national Security breach?:D

*further edit*
It's almost like something from the Onion...:D

The sooner you all realise all religion is violent, the better off you will be...

which one? yours?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

The sooner you all realise all religion is violent, the better off you will be...

which one? yours?

He said ALL! WHY CAN'T YOU READ?

Because he, like you, ignores one just as violent and vitriolic

Most likely the same one you practice
Abraham Lincoln

Buddhist, violent? Bahai? Quakers? Amish? Mennonites? You seem to be painting all with a broad brush.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

So, ... wait. How many wars are we currently engaged in?

Iraq - Operation New Dawn. "50,000 U.S. troops are now designated as "advise and assist brigades" assigned to non-combat operations while retaining the ability to revert to combat operations as necessary. Two combat aviation brigades also remain in Iraq." Does that count?

Afghanistan - the longest running war in US history.

Libya - President Obama is trying to convey that this will be a two or three day engagement. Isn't that what Bush Jr. said about the second Iraqi war?

More American lives taken. Higher taxes for the rest of us.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

So, ... wait. How many wars are we currently engaged in?

Iraq - Operation New Dawn. "50,000 U.S. troops are now designated as "advise and assist brigades" assigned to non-combat operations while retaining the ability to revert to combat operations as necessary. Two combat aviation brigades also remain in Iraq." Does that count?

Afghanistan - the longest running war in US history.

Libya - President Obama is trying to convey that this will be a two or three day engagement. Isn't that what Bush Jr. said about the second Iraqi war?

More American lives taken. Higher taxes for the rest of us.

We're probably looking at some sort of conflict with N. Korea and Iran, also. How thin are we going to spread ourselves?

Chuck

which one? yours?

LOL, so I'm a Muslim or a religious fanatic? Anyone who disagrees with you is 'the other' aren't they... it really confirms a lot about you.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

which one? yours?

LOL, so I'm a Muslim or a religious fanatic? Anyone who disagrees with you is 'the other' aren't they... it really confirms a lot about you.

WOOOSH
Abraham Lincoln

Intervene? That idea is fuckin' nuts.

Therefore, the fact that Obama is considering military options, makes him fuckin' nuts. Right?

That pretty much sums it up nicely.

That he then approved the military options and had them executed proves it.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Buddhist, violent? Bahai? Quakers? Amish? Mennonites? You seem to be painting all with a broad brush.

"ALL" does seem to be a very inclusive word to me. YMMV.

Don't let a Buddhist get close to you when he's got a can of gasoline and a match with him.
You've never seen a pissed off Quaker, have you?
Do you know what the Amish can do very expertly with that buggy whip?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239