skydiver30960

Your experiences in the military

As I grow older, I find myself more and more surrounded (or maybe just more aware) by people who are or were in the military.

Some hated it, some loved it. But despite their opinion of their time in "the service", I can see that it was a very formative experience in their lives. Love it or hate it, it definitely helped make them who they are today.

I often think I missed something by not joining the military. While I don't think I'm actually disqualified from military service by my age (I would need an age waiver though), I'm also reaching a point in my career where I really don't think the military (i.e. any branch) could really offer me something that would make joining worthwhile. My wife was also a military child, and would NOT be interested in the lifestyle.

Anyhow, in conversations I've had with folks, the love it/hate it differentiation seems to fall rather reproducibly onto the enlisted/officer differentiation. Just wondered if I'd see a similar breakdown here.

Elvisio "probably not much tuesday morning PW'ing going on in boot camp" Rodriguez

Didn't answer your poll since my answer was not there.

I was enlisted; I hated it when I was in, I liked that I served.

11B Airborne Infantry.

One of the reasons that I joined was I was bored with the job I had at the time and all my friends that had served seemed to have had some good experiences along with some bad ones. But life is about experiences and I was looking for something new.

I would have enjoyed it more if I had gone in at 18, or if I had picked a different MOS.

Still, glad I did it, and I am glad I am done with it. I had many bad experiences, and some really great ones. Heck, I got to jump C130's, CH47's, Huey's, UH60's, C141's, C5's...ect. I got to shoot a whole variety of small arms, and used rocket launchers and a whole bunch of other things that go BOOM!

But... Like I said, I am glad to be out. If I had to do it over, I would go in at 18, pick a different MOS, or gone in as an Officer.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

oof, really hard to answer.

I was an acquisitions officer (desk job, no deployment, more like working at Lockheed or Boeing)

I loved the Air Force. The life, the travel, the perks, etc. I HATED my job. So I chose loved, but it wasn't that easy.

In the end, I got out because the moment i found myself actively making up reasons to avoid work, I knew something had to change. I couldn't do the corporate drudge, "spend my life in a cubicle" thing.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

It was the MOST wonderful experience of my life. It damn near killed me three times, I made life-long friends, I belong to the largest fraternity in the world, no matter where I go, there's someone in the room of which we have a common frame of reference and something to talk about. I learned things I never would have learned, saw all four corners of the planet and was exposed to numerous cultures, experienced some of the most challenging things one can imagine, met some of the most amazing people one could ask to meet, etc. Even the bad times, upon reflection - became good times. Third generation military and am glad for the opportunity and the experience.

I can't imagine what I wouldn't have become if I hadn't served.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Had an old sarge tell me once that he wouldn't do it again for a million dollars. On the other hand he said he wouldn't trade all his experiences for a million either. Kind of the way I feel about the time I spent in the Air Force as an enlisted.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

I did 10 years of 12 (bought myself out ) in the RAF - I used to work for a living (Enlisted) and loved the job, mates etc.... (used to get to Skydive for FREE) and it set me up for some good work outside.

It's not for everyone but suited me

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I loved what I did.. I got to do a lot of things that other people said I couldn't do and I love proving them wrong. Because of that I got to do some REALLLLY cool stuff and go to VERY interesting places. I would not give up those experiences for ANYTHING.. I did them and they are part of me forever.

I was enlisted but as an instructor most of my students were officers. That was fun.
I did not care for the good ole boy politics of my own chain of command. That was not fun.

I knew when it was time to leave... and start the next phase of my life.

Army. Love/hate all the way. Wouldn't trade the experience for anything, except the leg part maybe...but during that defining event, I never had a doubt that my brothers would take care of me.

I met a lot of people and was a part of history, serving with the 506th Infantry (Currahee, Stands Alone aka Band of Brothers) of the storied 101st Airborne Division.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Very little I liked about my time of being press ganged into the Air Force because the only other choices I had at the time were being drafted into the Army and being sent off to Vietnam as infantry cannon fodder, going to prison or skulking off to Canada, all unacceptable to me.:S

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I had to choose enlisted/liked it. The first half of my career was working on aircraft for a bunch of spoiled officers that all thought they were Tom Cruise. Second half was for me.

The Military taught me how to Scuba dive and skydive, things I couldn't afford to do after I figured out that my ex wife was psycho and we separated. I've been having fun ever since.B|

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

I only served 3 years Active Duty, Army as an 11B in the 101st. Loved to go to the field. Didn't like Garrison life as the Army was way too controlling. I followed it up with the rest of my service in the Tn Army National Guard and Tn Air National Guard. At least I'll have something to show for it when I hit 60 years of age!

Still active duty, enlisted, and I know for a fact I will be glad I served when I retire. I don't know if I like it or hate it. There's some up and downs and for the most part I have done some rather, um. . interesting(?) things outside my NEC. Definitely not a boring ride though.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Hi 309,
At the time I could give you a million reasons why NOT!! Today, I'm glad I spent my 3 yrs, 11 mos and 19 daze in the US Navy.(05DEC66-23NOV70) Being a Gator Navy Ships Company Parachute Rigger was OK, now I often think i should have gotten on the Helo crew but at the time the politics of the situation were grim so I didn't. Just ran the Flight Equip shop and spent most of the Defense Dept Budget on "COFFEE!!!"
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

5 yrs USAF C130 Crew Chief. Lots of travel, Lots of great experiences, no not all great experiences are "good". Lots of work after 2001 (enlisted 98-03). What I tell people all the time is that I do not regret going in, but I do not regret getting out either. I would do it again and encourgage people who might think it would help to go as well.

One thing to consider is that with the US military, you volunteer to serve. If you keep that in perspective, its easier to keep it all in perspective.
"We didn't start the fire"

Just retired this month after 27yrs, 4 active 23 Guard/Reserve USAF.
It sucked juggling two careers, each suffered somewhat from the other. When I turn 60 I'll have two pensions (unless the govt. goes broke), I'm already drawing one. Take my word for it, y'all got your tax dollars worth out of me (police and military).
With that said I would'nt trade it for anything (some in my family may differ slightly). I got to do some real cool stuff, traveled ALOT, and met many life long friends. It was a fun ride, but it was definately time for me to get off and go fishing with my 6 year old..........

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"