lewmonst

NO on Prop 8 (California)

Matthew 24: 12 "Because of the increase in wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

I merely believe what Jesus said in His word. Don't you?

Did jesus say that or did matthew? And no, I don't have any idea who really said it, i'm not attriibuting it to either. I also don't believe that an increase in "wickedness" 2000 years ago can be related to an increase in "evil" 2000 years later...or that an unidentified prophet speaking on behalf of another unidentified prophet 2 millenia ago should dictate to me what behavior is moral or correct right now, right here.

If you believe so dearly that your god and his son spoke so clearly and freely 2000 years ago then good for you.... but do you have any theories about why your god decided to stop publishing 2000 years ago and hasn't offered a bit of advise since?

What part of the bible eplains that? Is there a passage that says something like, well... there it is, that's all I have to say about that.... and you'll be on your own for a few thousand years now... don't fuck up?

Do you see my question?
Owned by Remi #?

My car was egged four times for my "No on Prop 8: Equality for All" sign in my rear windshield. I had a bumper sticker, but it was ripped off my car twice, so I gave up and put the sign inside my car instead. Around here, I saw a lot more problems coming from the pro-prop 8 side, ripping down anti-signs and such, but that may be because I was more attuned to it, since some of it was directed at me, and also because this is Orange County and there were a lot more pro than anti folks here.

not surprising you saw more conflict from the group you were in conflict with :S - in fact I bet you got hardly any flak from the side that you were supporting :S (and I don't know if a 'no' vote is a pro or anti gay position - I won't go read the proposal) -

I was also talking about what I observed... people ripping down signs, spray painting over signs, plastering stickers for their side over signs from the other side... you don't have to be on one side or the other to observe that. However, the area I live in is very conservative, and took a primarily pro-prop 8 position, and had I lived elsewhere, I may have seen more stuff coming from the other side. I was in the minority in my county.

I do not see how people can say that the world over-all is becoming more evil than it was in the past.

Matthew 24: 12 "Because of the increase in wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

I merely believe what Jesus said in His word. Don't you?

That doesn't mean that overall wickedness is necessarily greater as time goes on.

In the context of the chapter, Jesus seems to be discussing the wickedness at a point in time in which Christians would be rounded up & persecuted. Which of course is exactly what happened.

And earlier in the chapter Jesus mentions that the temple would be destroyed, which also happened.

In any case, it is clear from any study of history that wickedness is nothing new. And again, in many ways in the past there were forms & magnitudes of wickedness that would not be tolerated today. ( I of course admit there is still a great deal of it today.)

And the topic of the thread is about same sex marriage. Now whether you think that's wrong or not, in terms of magnitude of wickedness, it is miniscule compared to the wide-scale eternal warfare, slavery and genocide (such as, putting every man, woman and child to the sword when conquering a city) of earlier centuries.

I would say we have a long way to go morally. But I do not see that modern times are on the whole worse morally, than past times.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

>Matthew 24: 12 "Because of the increase in wickedness, the love of
>most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

>I merely believe what Jesus said in His word. Don't you?

I do as well, and I think that people who stand against love, commitment and marriage in all its forms are doing their part to increase wickedness. Fortunately we are fighting that wickedness. We won a big victory for marriage back in 1967, and we are making progress today. We will eventually succeed.

So even if these 30some year olds have evil morality issues, they have a much better idea what they want out of a relationship than the kids who got drunk, fucked, and got pregnant, and then married to appease their god try to do the right thing by the child.

Fixed that for you.

How is an inevitable divorce when the kid is 6 doing right by the child?

People who get married because they were sloppy with birth control are not going to improve the divorce rate - they are one of the biggest hits against it. And youngsters have no idea what they want yet.

My car was egged four times for my "No on Prop 8: Equality for All" sign in my rear windshield.

People on both sides are throwing eggs? Maybe there's just a bunch of people throwing eggs at cars in California. It may not have much to do with Prop 8. At least people aren't shooting each other over it, I guess.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

My car was egged four times for my "No on Prop 8: Equality for All" sign in my rear windshield.

People on both sides are throwing eggs? Maybe there's just a bunch of people throwing eggs at cars in California. It may not have much to do with Prop 8. At least people aren't shooting each other over it, I guess.

Non voters with eggs?

They're still shooting each other, it's just not a dead news season, like it was back when it was the national story.

>we think we can redefine what is good and what is bad, when moral
>absolutes DO exist. Mad Just because you think it's okay, doesn't make
>it okay.

Nope - but because WE think it's OK, it's OK. We used to think it was immoral to allow women and blacks to vote. Now it's OK, and it should be. It used to be illegal to allow blacks to marry whites. Now it's OK, and it should be.

Our history is (fortunately) a long saga of people gradually gaining more and more rights, even if those rights are disgusting to some people.

>. What once used to shock people has become the norm, what once
>was called evil is now called good.Frown It's sad, really.

Do you really think it is sad that blacks are now allowed to marry whites?

we use to consider blacks as 3/4 human and now we've elected one president

I basically avoid most of my family..... and THANK GOD.. I live 3000 miles from most of them..they dont come to visit... that seemed to be a theme when I was growing up.. always going to visit some part of the family...imposing on them.. and expecting them to impose on you at some part of the year.:ph34r::ph34r: