Rookie120

And McCains VP is Palin

He was traveled, but let's face, US politics are so fucked that that doesn't matter. Clinton won because Perot split the Repub vote. Obama will win because the right have fucked things up so bad, just as when Carter won. Sad but true, but people run from candidates/parties more than to candidates.

Perot did little but entertain us. He took votes fairly equally from both parties - largely the idiot wing, as well as those who wanted to vote for none of the above. But let's face it, the guy was a nutcase.

Clinton won because the economy was in the dump and it was obvious that Bush was out of touch (amazed by grocery store scanners). He was the guy you wanted to fight the world, but not to fix things internally, or god forbid, balance the budget. So the voters flipped over, and funny enough, got someone to do the domestic stuff, but was uninterested in the foreign matters.

Now we're nearly done with a guy that didn't seem to do either end well.

So, you are not aware of the damage it does to your credibility and dignity to throw around childish names like "ho-bag" and "McSame" when you attempt to discuss something like this among adults?

Hey whats wrong with geting in just a little equal time woth all the right wing fucknuggets that have been doing the same crap for the last 6 years I have been on here... RIGHT VINNIE???

:S

So I guess the fact that she is a fundie.. far to the right creationist vehemently anti choice is good in your book?????:S:S

I guess some peoples milage is a far diversion of what the founders were after in thowse who they wanted running the country.

:S

So I guess the fact that she is a fundie.. far to the right creationist vehemently anti choice is good in your book?????:S:S

I guess some peoples milage is a far diversion of what the founders were after in thowse who they wanted running the country.

/satire on
But, but . . . she's quasi-doable and likes guns. GUNS! (phallic allusions abound)

Certainly that counts for something? Right? RIGHT?!?

Clearly she is what the founders were talking about, except, uh, that whole voting thing. Never mind.
/satire off

Actually, I can't imagine that the founders ever conceived of either a woman holding the office of VP or the weapons currently available. Times do change. The US Constitution changed to allow this woman to be in this place at this time. Strange how we hold on to some things and not others.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

That's my problem with her, quade. The fundamentalism leads me to wonder about how she deals with objective data and facts.

Despite the fact (not opinion - this is fact) that she is highly doable, I gotta admit that she'll take down anyone who is derelict in duties. But this is also cause for concern for me:

She's a reformer. What is she hiding? What is SHE doing? I'm finding a general rule that those who make public stances against something are themselves engaged in actively doing that thing.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

What is she hiding? What is SHE doing? I'm finding a general rule that those who make public stances against something are themselves engaged in actively doing that thing.

Well, in the next few days we're going to be hearing more and more about Trig. Certain parts of her story concerning her fifth child are, shall we say, rather interesting. Should be fun to see how that turns out.

Here's a news account of the birth from April 18 (the day after birth). Note the time line. http://www.ktuu.com/global/story.asp?s=8194634

Of particular interest is this bit;

The governor's water broke during the energy conference but she stayed and gave a 30-minute speech before boarding an Alaska Airlines plane home to deliver the baby.

So, 5th kid, supposedly the water breaks and still decides to give a speech in Texas, THEN flys all the way back to Alaska to give birth? All while not "showing" any outward signs of even being pregnant?

Something here is a little weird judgement-wise even if it is her child.

So, why does all this matter? Why is this "different" and not a private issue between her and her family?

Well, there is the whole thing about her promoting abstinence only. If it didn't work with her kid, how the hell are we supposed to believe it will work with "ours"?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Before becoming Gov in Dec 2006 she served as a council member and mayer of a city whos population was a little bit more than 5,000. Don't you see slight problem. Even presidential scholars are stunned at his choice.

In your view the only experience that counts is Washington experience, just look at a few of the people in the Bush Admin: Rove, Rummy, Cheney. Combined they probably have over 30 years of experience, yet look at the cluster f%$k they created. The point is does Obama have enough experience necessary to have the judgment to be president. Take the time to look up his record. For such a young man and short work history he has had some remarkable accomplishments.

Take the time to look up his record. For such a young man and short work history he has had some remarkable accomplishments.

So has my granddaughter, but I don’t think that qualifies her for the job either.:P So why does that make him a good leader? Has he ever protected his country? Has he ever served as a commander in chief of anything other than some congressional staff and aids? Has he ever negotiated contracts with foreign countries or with the largest global corporations? I will take the governor experience over the senate experience.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

/satire on
But, but . . . she's quasi-doable and likes guns. GUNS!

SWEET!

What more do I need than that?! B|

Actually, I can't imagine that the founders ever conceived of either a woman holding the office of VP or the weapons currently available. Times do change. The US Constitution changed to allow this woman to be in this place at this time. Strange how we hold on to some things and not others.

What's strange, to me, is that you are still trotting out that tired old "the founders did not conceive of the semi-automatic killing machines we have today," as though it is a reason to re-think the 2nd Amendment; but you won't go near to pointing out that the founders could not have foreseen reaching millions of listeners with a 50Kw radio antenna or millions of readers from a laptop computer. If you want to apply the "they could not have foreseen the new technology" argument, you must apply it to all of our rights, not just the ones you don't like.

So you're essentially saying that the founders would not have allowed us semi-automatic handguns, OR modern computers, high-speed printing, or radio stations... :S
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Well, in the next few days we're going to be hearing more and more about Trig. Certain parts of her story concerning her fifth child are, shall we say, rather interesting. Should be fun to see how that turns out.

Here's a news account of the birth from April 18 (the day after birth). Note the time line. http://www.ktuu.com/global/story.asp?s=8194634

Of particular interest is this bit;

The governor's water broke during the energy conference but she stayed and gave a 30-minute speech before boarding an Alaska Airlines plane home to deliver the baby.

So, 5th kid, supposedly the water breaks and still decides to give a speech in Texas, THEN flys all the way back to Alaska to give birth? All while not "showing" any outward signs of even being pregnant?

Something here is a little weird judgement-wise even if it is her child.

So, why does all this matter? Why is this "different" and not a private issue between her and her family?

Well, there is the whole thing about her promoting abstinence only. If it didn't work with her kid, how the hell are we supposed to believe it will work with "ours"?

It's a bigger issue than that. Trig is being held up as the example of how Palin "walks the walk" regarding pro-life. How she decided to give birth to a baby knowing it had Down's. However, if it really was the daughter's child the question arises, "who really made the decision to bring him to term?" Did Palin make the choice for her daughter?

Do you and Jeanne even know Tom? Let's just say I do. I number him among my friends. (The 5th of Patron he brought to my wedding scored bonus points) And of all the things I would jump to about him...conservative ain't it. He's atheist and quite moderate politically at most. So my statement stands. I wouldn't call his extremely rare moderating of SC a "balance" of the libs who run this place by any stretch. We could be posting on KOS.

It goes back to put down the KY and Cheetos, step away from the computer and try meeting people outside this forum. Ya might learn something.

That all you got? Next.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

That's my problem with her, quade. The fundamentalism leads me to wonder about how she deals with objective data and facts.

Despite the fact (not opinion - this is fact) that she is highly doable, I gotta admit that she'll take down anyone who is derelict in duties. But this is also cause for concern for me:

She's a reformer. What is she hiding? What is SHE doing? I'm finding a general rule that those who make public stances against something are themselves engaged in actively doing that thing.

Seriously, do some looking into Alaska...bridge to nowhere gone. She has curtailed crazy spending up there, which believe it or not was quite the pork environment up there. Ethics reform. Not a bad showing for only two years as Governor.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Seriously, do some looking into Alaska...bridge to nowhere gone. She has curtailed crazy spending up there, which believe it or not was quite the pork environment up there. Ethics reform. Not a bad showing for only two years as Governor.

The bridge to nowhere argument may not be as strong as you think.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080901/pl_nm/usa_politics_palin1_dc

During her first speech after being named as McCain's surprise pick as a running mate, Palin said she had told Congress "'thanks but no thanks' on that bridge to nowhere."

In the city Ketchikan, the planned site of the so-called "Bridge to Nowhere," political leaders of both parties said the claim was false and a betrayal of their community, because she had supported the bridge and the earmark for it secured by Alaska's Congressional delegation during her run for governor.

The bridge, a span from the city to Gravina Island, home to only a few dozen people, secured a $223 million earmark in 2005. The pricey designation raised a furor and critics, including McCain, used the bridge as an example of wasteful federal spending on politicians' pet projects.

When she was running for governor in 2006, Palin said she was insulted by the term "bridge to nowhere," according to Ketchikan Mayor Bob Weinstein, a Democrat, and Mike Elerding, a Republican who was Palin's campaign coordinator in the southeast Alaska city.

"People are learning that she pandered to us by saying, I'm for this' ... and then when she found it was politically advantageous for her nationally, abruptly she starts using the very term that she said was insulting," Weinstein said.

Palin's spokeswoman in Alaska was not immediately available to comment.

I can't help but think of the attack on Kerry about how he was for it before he was against it.

I can say that based on things I have seen him post on DIZZIE Dot Com.... do not make him a liberal... as it is certainly used by those of you who describe yourselves as conservative.

When the scale of what is liberal and what is conservative.. has been so skewed to the far right by those who define themselves as conservative... far too many people end up looking "liberal" to those of you who want to be seen as conservative.

>"I think he can be ready, but right now I don’t believe he is."

Yep, said over a year ago, back when Obama had less experience in government (but still much more than Palin.) Good thing McCain chose a VP with even less than that!

Gov. Palin has five more years in elected office than Sen. Obama.

I guess that criterion makes Senator Byrd of West Virginia the best qualified of all.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You are, perhaps, familiar with the story of President William Henry Harrison?

No?

Actually I am...But you didn't bother to answer the question I asked.

Given that less than a year ago Biden said that Obama was not ready to be President...What has changed in that year that now he is qualified?

The VP is a back up that needs to be ready on January 20 just like the President himself.

If we were comparing VP's only...You would be correct to say that Biden is much more experienced. I would agree and in fact like Biden.

But we are comparing the people running for President FIRST. And who has more experience between those two?

If it was Biden/Obama Vs Palin/McCain your argument would make sense.

I seem to remember large amounts of bitchin about Cheany's 5 deferments. Anybody care to guess how many Biden had?

Oh, and I do know it is different because Biden is a Dem:S
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I seem to remember large amounts of bitchin about Cheany's 5 deferments. Anybody care to guess how many Biden had?

Oh, and I do know it is different because Biden is a Dem

You guys STILL dont get it....

When you are a raving warmonger.. yet avoid any form of service for you OR your family or any of your buddies at the country club....

DOES not equal....those who have not served... and DO NOT SUPPORT any of your favorite little wars of convienience

The difference is in DO YOU SUPPORT WAR or DO YOU NOT.... if you do.. I think you would want to go and MAN UP and serve your country in the wars it gets involved in.. for fun and profit.

I know that is a tough concept for those of you who are diehard chickenhawks.. but it is what it is.

Actually, I can't imagine that the founders ever conceived of either a woman holding the office of VP or the weapons currently available.

I bet the founders never thought the internet would exist either. But the 1st still is applicable. Why would technology only apply to SOME amendments and not others?

Just like for some people some amendments are fine to ignore them. Gun bans in cities for example. But could you ever imagine a City banning free speech?

Strange how we hold on to some things and not others.

Strange how we honor somethings but ignore others.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

>"I think he can be ready, but right now I don’t believe he is."

Yep, said over a year ago, back when Obama had less experience in government (but still much more than Palin.) Good thing McCain chose a VP with even less than that!

Gov. Palin has five more years in elected office than Sen. Obama.

I guess that criterion makes Senator Byrd of West Virginia the best qualified of all.

Or, maybe I was correcting Bill in that Sen. Obama has less experience in government than Gov. Palin. :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You guys STILL dont get it....

When you are a raving warmonger.. yet avoid any form of service for you OR your family or any of your buddies at the country club....

DOES not equal....those who have not served... and DO NOT SUPPORT any of your favorite little wars of convienience

The difference is in DO YOU SUPPORT WAR or DO YOU NOT.... if you do.. I think you would want to go and MAN UP and serve your country in the wars it gets involved in.. for fun and profit.

I know that is a tough concept for those of you who are diehard chickenhawks.. but it is what it is.

Just because you may not agree with every bit of politics doesn't relieve you of duty. To me, it would show much more balls if someone said "i dont completely agree but my country needs me to fight so i will."

People hate McCain and people hate Obama. Military members will continue to serve under either administration. Nobody "supports war." Those who have been will be the first to tell you how aweful it is.

My point is that when the Commaner in Chief gives an order, you fuckin MAN UP and go. Not everyone feels the need to serve and if you don't, then fine. Just because men and women do choose to enlist doesn't mean they're all drooling at the chance to go to war.

All of that was way off topic but the connection between Cheney - warmonger - biden - do or do not support - war of convenience - seemed like 5 arguments loosley tied together.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.