mindtrick

Do u beleave in God

Sorry for not responding I have been away for a long long weekend. i would like to respond to thhe allegation that i presume was directed at me, "is a straw men when you bring up the atrocities of state christianity as an argument against a personal choice for christianity"

First off I think i should make myself clear that the effects of Christianity have no bearing on the truth of Chrstian claims; that the god of the OT created the universe and his son came, got killed and rose from the dead, all to forgive our sins. I have explored the legitiamcy of those claims and found no evidence for them. Historical evidence presented for the story seemed inadequate and when scrutinised the topic was changed to the effects of Chrsitianity on Steve.
My response was not predominately to discuss Steve's expereince but to discuss the effects of Chrstianity overall. i think I clearly demonstrated no clear postivie effect for Christian belief or negative effect for lack of it.
Why is this a straw man? Is it because you divorce yourself from the negative effects of Christianity that Im sure you agree occur? Im sure you do, but my point is that if a large group of people all have a certain belief then those beliefs will have effects, intended and sometimes unintended. As possibly the greatest intellectual opponent of socialsm, FA Hayek once said "The Road to Hell is paved with good intentions". Wrong opinions held by large groups of people can have disatorus consequenbces. For example, if everyone believes in the power of prayer over the power of medicine then perhaps people dont get good medical treeatment and infectious diseases can lead to the decimation of whol populations as they did during the dark ages and threaten to do so again.The fact you would be motviated to build your orphanages to cope with sucha landlside of calmity would hardly make much difference. Ideas matter.

hairyjuan

the effects of christianity, make it extremely clear the christianity is FUNDAMENTALY EVIL.

Not a Christian but i think its the human part that makes it evil. You have the human part then evil is possible even in great simple ideas like let's feed the poor.

Its kind of dumb to blam a religion when it is people who suck.

Also this thread is way to long to read all of it, but someone said religion is about 5000 years old as far as we know its about 50,000 years old. That's the oldest bodies we find with food put In with the dead. So they believed some part of you went on.

To the OP. Yes I believe in a God however I think one should always be aware of arrogant mentality. What God is what he wants or any of that I am not sure of. But I do think there is a plan and someone/somthing has made us.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

maadmax

To the OP.

Holy thread resurrection Batman. The OP's long gone.

Yes, but God hasn't gone anywhere.

+1

He does occasionally take a vacation though.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

oldwomanc6

To the OP.

Holy thread resurrection Batman. The OP's long gone.

Yes, but God hasn't gone anywhere.

Another +1
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

"Do u beleave in God"

I believe in spell check.

I believe there are things in the universe that have yet to be explained. We traditionally assign those things to one god or another. I am comfortable with the idea of God. I am not comfortable with anyone forcing their idea of what God wants and declaring it 'law' on me.

Religion is like many other things. It can lead to great inspiration and propel the individual or group to the very best humanity has to offer. It can also go the other way.

It has inspired our very best music, architecture, art, innovation, and kindness. It has also inspired many wars, murder, abuse, oppression, and people knocking on my door at hours I don't appreciate.

I believe in God. I do not believe God conforms to any of the molds men attempt to place on Him/Her.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

"Do u beleave in God"

I believe in spell check.

I believe there are things in the universe that have yet to be explained. We traditionally assign those things to one god or another. I am comfortable with the idea of God. I am not comfortable with anyone forcing their idea of what God wants and declaring it 'law' on me.

Religion is like many other things. It can lead to great inspiration and propel the individual or group to the very best humanity has to offer. It can also go the other way.

It has inspired our very best music, architecture, art, innovation, and kindness. It has also inspired many wars, murder, abuse, oppression, and people knocking on my door at hours I don't appreciate.

I believe in God. I do not believe God conforms to any of the molds men attempt to place on Him/Her.

I would prefer to avoid using the ambiguous term 'God' for most of its common definitions or interpretations, since that covers a lot of ground. One could be referring to anything from some vague notion of an unspecified presence ('God is love!') to an anthropomorphic prime mover of the universe.

The idea that said universe is the brainchild of a cognizant entity of infinitely greater scope and complexity than the known universe - one that knows when we're sleeping, knows when we're awake, knows when we've been bad or good - and is revealed only to isolated desert dwellers, may be dismissed out of hand. Trying to postulate some definition that will supplant the model born of consummate ignorance is a fool's errand.

Indeed, the atavistic hard-wiring for superstition may well be the downfall of our species. The reluctance to call bullshit in the face of popular delusions has resulted in disaster throughout history, and there is no reason to think we're out of the woods.

What the hell, "Live for a while, die and be forgotten. So it goes" K. Vonnegut

BSBD,

Winsor