mindtrick

Do u beleave in God

I would prefer to avoid using the ambiguous term 'God' for most of its common definitions or interpretations, since that covers a lot of ground. One could be referring to anything from some vague notion of an unspecified presence ('God is love!') to an anthropomorphic prime mover of the universe.

The idea that said universe is the brainchild of a cognizant entity of infinitely greater scope and complexity than the known universe - one that knows when we're sleeping, knows when we're awake, knows when we've been bad or good - and is revealed only to isolated desert dwellers, may be dismissed out of hand. Trying to postulate some definition that will supplant the model born of consummate ignorance is a fool's errand.

Indeed, the atavistic hard-wiring for superstition may well be the downfall of our species. The reluctance to call bullshit in the face of popular delusions has resulted in disaster throughout history, and there is no reason to think we're out of the woods.

What the hell, "Live for a while, die and be forgotten. So it goes" K. Vonnegut

BSBD,

Winsor

I grappled with those same issues for quite a while. It will be a shame if you get stuck there in your journey.
The realization that God, and reality for that matter, are unaffected by my arbitrary value judgments of what I think they should be, was liberating. We were made to know God.

Andy9o8

Labeling a superstition "knowledge of God" does not make it any less a superstition. Beleave it or not.

I 'beeleeve' that the more colorful people talk about their beleifs, the more ridiculous their beleaf structure must be.

(i.e., if you have to dress it up, then the truth of it must be irrational - for that individual. For religion, the most convincing believer is the one that is quietly confident in it and who can speak plainly about it when he has to.)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In the words of the philosopher Cher, "Do u beleave in life after love?"
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

"He was a wise man who invented God" - Plato

Of course, you can argue the point. Since God / gods are part of every cutlure I've ever heard of, there is an argument that we were created by a divine being and instilled with an innate knowledge of and desire for him / her.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

davjohns

"He was a wise man who invented God" - Plato

Of course, you can argue the point. Since God / gods are part of every cutlure I've ever heard of, there is an argument that we were created by a divine being and instilled with an innate knowledge of and desire for him / her.

It does not wash.

When I first had a ferret as a pet decades ago, I was amazed at some of the stuff he did. I then wound up with four of them, and found out that much of what I thought was unique they ALL did (some things were, in fact, unique to the individual).

An evolutionary basis for the tendency to accept the divine has been suggested by Dawkins, and it makes sense as an atavistic throwback survival mechanism.

It is actually much simpler to accept perceived reality as extant without causal basis or motive than to postulate an invisible, omnipotent, infinitely powerful, complex and capricious prime mover - also extant without causal basis or motive. That, unfortunately, flies in the face of the wiring of most of us.

Unfortunately, in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is not a king, he's a pariah.

BSBD,

Winsor

It does not wash.

When I first had a ferret as a pet decades ago, I was amazed at some of the stuff he did. I then wound up with four of them, and found out that much of what I thought was unique they ALL did (some things were, in fact, unique to the individual).

An evolutionary basis for the tendency to accept the divine has been suggested by Dawkins, and it makes sense as an atavistic throwback survival mechanism.

It is actually much simpler to accept perceived reality as extant without causal basis or motive than to postulate an invisible, omnipotent, infinitely powerful, complex and capricious prime mover - also extant without causal basis or motive. That, unfortunately, flies in the face of the wiring of most of us.

Unfortunately, in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is not a king, he's a pariah.

BSBD,

Winsor

By your same criteria, He would have evolved out of our consciousness long ago. Only that which is true persists.

You obviously know to much about the subject to have not once searched for Him.

maadmax

It does not wash.

BSBD,

Winsor

By your same criteria, He would have evolved out of our consciousness long ago. Only that which is true persists.

You obviously know to much about the subject to have not once searched for Him.

A+ for cluelessness

normiss

I'll give bonus points to go with that.
Take some away for improper grammar.

"He" has evolved out of intelligent consciousness.
LONG time ago.

Wait, wait, wait.... are you saying you are intelligent? :P:D:D
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

There is. The other argument is that the tendency towards religious belief is an atavistic trait that arises from a combination of our ancient instincts and relatively newfound intelligence.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Nope, that's not how it works, for several reasons.

Evolution selects for utility, not for truth. Cast your mind back 5,000 years and ask yourself how well the only non-believer in a tribe of believers would be likely to fare. Well, or not well?

Next, if the tendency towards belief is a byproduct of other useful traits, belief alone is not being selected for. Pattern recognition, curiosity and the ability to think complex thoughts are all useful in their own right, they're not going to be selected against just because belief isn't useful.

Then, even if belief isn't useful but isn't detrimental either then it won't be selected against. Like our tailbone, or the vestigial legs of a sea mammal it could continue on, neither helping nor hindering.

Finally, humans are brand new. We are an evolutionary eye blink. We've only just learned how to think, don't be surprised if we haven't ironed out all of the kinks yet.

Nope, that's not how it works, for several reasons.

Evolution selects for utility, not for truth. Cast your mind back 5,000 years and ask yourself how well the only non-believer in a tribe of believers would be likely to fare. Well, or not well?

Next, if the tendency towards belief is a byproduct of other useful traits, belief alone is not being selected for. Pattern recognition, curiosity and the ability to think complex thoughts are all useful in their own right, they're not going to be selected against just because belief isn't useful.

Then, even if belief isn't useful but isn't detrimental either then it won't be selected against. Like our tailbone, or the vestigial legs of a sea mammal it could continue on, neither helping nor hindering.

Finally, humans are brand new. We are an evolutionary eye blink. We've only just learned how to think, don't be surprised if we haven't ironed out all of the kinks yet.

The way I see it, Truth is the ultimate utility. Belief is only the door, it is nothing without the correct information. Evolutionary speaking, God-consciousness appears to convey greater survivability. As a species , the majority of us are still consumed with that issue.

The way I see it, Truth is the ultimate utility.

Why?

Evolutionary speaking, God-consciousness appears to convey greater survivability.

Maybe so, maybe not. I kinda just covered that.

The way I see it, Truth is the ultimate utility

Why?

It is the dimension of reality that atheists fail to recognize, that people of faith hold most dear. I love science and study it intently, but spiritual Truth gives an insight into reality that science is incapable of addressing.

Evolutionary speaking, God-consciousness appears to convey greater survivability.

Maybe so, maybe not. I kinda just covered that.

no surprise, we will just have to disagree on this point

maadmax

***The way I see it, Truth is the ultimate utility

Why?

It is the dimension of reality that atheists fail to recognize, that people of faith hold most dear. I love science and study it intently, but spiritual Truth gives an insight into reality that science is incapable of addressing.

Please do not confuse faith with reality. They are not the same thing, hence all the different religions around the world ALL of whom are convinced they, and only they, are correct.
Never try to eat more than you can lift