br0k3n

US bans Vegemite!!!!

Have you ever tasted it???

Yes, I had it on my toast this morning......:)
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

what the fuck is vegemite?

we don't need australian stuff here. they're all a unch of criminals.

you have not had Tim Tams yet have you:D:D:D

And WTF how can you bann a food made from yeast:S:S:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Tried the stuff years ago when I was in Australia. Not real bad. I guess one could get use to it.

Vegemite is the registered brand name for a dark brown, salty food paste made from yeast extract, mainly used as a spread on sandwiches and toast, though occasionally used in cooking. It is popular in Australia and New Zealand and is known as one of Australia's national foods—it can be found in many Australian diaspora communities such as London. Food technologist Dr. Cyril P. Callister invented Vegemite in 1923 when his employer, the Australian Fred Walker Company, had him develop a spread from brewer's yeast after war had disrupted the supply of imported yeast spreads.

The brand is now owned by Kraft Foods, an American multinational that is part of the Altria Group of companies and Australian produced Vegemite is available in the United Kingdom.

Vegemite is banned in the USA, because it contains folate, a vitamin that in the USA is only allowed in breads and cereals. The USA government has (as of 2006) stepped up the ban, going so far to even search Australians for Vegemite when they enter the country

History
Vegemite's name was picked at random out of a hat by Fred Walker's daughter, Sheilah. Faced with growing competition from the similar British Marmite, the product was known from 1928 to 1935 as "Parwill", allowing a convoluted advertising slogan that said "Marmite but Parwill"—that is, "Ma (mother) might not like the taste but I'm sure Pa (father) will." This attempt to expand market share was unsuccessful and the name was changed back to Vegemite. Today Vegemite far outsells Marmite and other similar spreads in Australia.

Vegemite is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacture, and various vegetable and spice additives. The taste is difficult to describe but is extremely salty and slightly bitter, and as might be expected, malty, similar to the taste of beef bouillon. The texture is rather smooth, resembling margarine. While highly popular in Australia and New Zealand, it has never been successfully marketed elsewhere. It is notorious for the dislike it generates amongst some foreigners. Vegemite is not liked by all Australians - some find it far too salty to be palatable - but it remains an iconic symbol of Australia. It is available at some supermarkets and specialty food shops in a number of other countries.

Typical preparation
Vegemite should be spread very thinly with butter to help to soften the strong taste, or with sliced or melted cheese. A variation on vegemite toast is 'tiger toast' - where after spreading with vegemite, strips of cheese are melted onto the toast, creating a striking visual effect. It is also a key ingredient in the popular "Cheesymite Scroll" or "Cheddarmite Scroll" produced by bakeries in Australia, a savoury spiral pastry which includes cheese spread and Vegemite. A teaspoon of Vegemite can also be used in place of stock in some recipes.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

i don't know man... this vegemit estuff sounds funny. they should just ban everything except nutella. it would make the world a mch better place.

i think it's probably the vegemite that made australians want to become criminals...
This ad space for sale.

i don't know man... this vegemit estuff sounds funny. they should just ban everything except nutella. it would make the world a mch better place.

i think it's probably the vegemite that made australians want to become criminals...

originally they were criminals before they were Australians.

**edited because now that I'm off the diet pills I care about spelling again. :P

originally they were criminals before they were Australians.

**edited because now that I'm off the diet pills I care about spelling again. :P

there was only a VERY small populaton of POMs sent to OZ, Once the brits discovery how cool OZ is they stopped sending the Crims

I'm still flabergasted that Yanks BANNED vegemite because it has a friggin VITAMIN in it:S:S:S:S
A vitamin that's actually GOOD for developing embryos
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Marmite and Vegemite are considered WMDs.:|

Now why did you have to say that? Now Dubya will be sending troops into Oz, and Rumsfeld will be promising that the 'roos will be welcoming us as liberators.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Check out the Folic acid page on wiki:

Conversely, in the early 2000s, the US FDA prevented the import of Vegemite from Australia, citing, as the reason, that the folic acid levels are too high. In 2005 it was impossible for Australian expatriates to buy Vegemite in jars of larger than 113 grams (4 oz.).

Although folic acid does reduce the risk of birth defects, it is only one part of the picture and should not be considered a cure. Even women taking daily folic acid supplements have been known to have children with neural tube defects.

The risk of toxicity from folic acid is low.[14] The Institute of Medicine has established a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for folate of 1,000 µg for adult men and women, and a UL of 800 µg for pregnant and lactating (breast-feeding) women less than 18 years of age. Supplemental folic acid should not exceed the UL to prevent folic acid from masking symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency.

Feel free to send US the roos and wallabys.:)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

From the article:

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads...

Well what the hell else would you add Vegimite to??? :S

Didn't yo know we shoot up vegemite;)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

From the article:

The bizarre crackdown was prompted because Vegemite contains folate, which in the US can be added only to breads...

Well what the hell else would you add Vegimite to??? :S

Didn't yo know we shoot up vegemite;)

see?

i only knew vegemite was used by criminals. but this os prrof it's also used by drug addicts.

we don't need our children to be corrupted by these people.
This ad space for sale.

Great... it's good to see that the FDA is protecting me from putting B vitamins on my toast... Guess I'll have to start eating those Jimmy Dean's chocolate chip pancakes & sausage on a stick thingies for breakfast instead, since those are FDA-approved... It's nice to know that they're looking out for my health so that I don't have to worry about it myself.

Vegemite is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract, a by-product of beer manufacture,

Yeast without beer? What the hell good is that? I've got other terms for that, like "athlete's foot," "thrush," and "the infamous female itch."

"Good day! I'd like to apply for a patent. I've managed to package diaper rash."
"You can't patent a yeasty disease."
"Ah! Old chum, I plan to sell it to people as a food product!"
"Oh, dear. Will people eat that?"
"I call it 'Vegemite.' I'm sure they will."

And it worked.

Vegemite is a freaking gyp, if you ask me.>:(

My wife is hotter than your wife.