RkyMtnHigh

Cocaine, X, meth...what is the allure?

bob.dino, care to elaborate as to why it isn't related to depression?

I'm sure some people take drugs as an escape from depression or due to addictive personalities, but the overwhelming majority of those I know/knew that take drugs do so purely for recreational purposes, in much the same manner as others might use alcohol.

Go out in London on a Saturday night. The amount of coke, ecstasy, and speed consumed is massive, to the point where you begin to forget that drugs are technically illegal. Not all those people are depressed. Most of them are perfectly normal folk just like you and I. Honest.

I'm not saying that noone uses drugs to escape issues that are troubling them. Just that a blanket statement that "it's related to depression" is like saying "anyone who shares a bottle of wine with friends is a depressed alcoholic". It's simply not true.

I think many of the addicts are people who started out like that, & then got hooked, probably because they didn't have much else going on in their lives.

Some, maybe, BUT I've seen some who were very driven and successful people and are now hooked on drugs. Sometimes its not the typical street drugs, they're using prescription drugs. Sometimes they are using street drugs. Crack is the big one there, lots of people smoking crack. There have been people that were highly successful individuals ruin their lives in the matter of months due to the crack rock.

There are some drugs in which there really is no experiementing with. Crack, herion and similar. There is and isn't, no occasional partying with the drug and then going on with life.

Seeing someone who is cracked out and has blown their mind due to it or smoking wet is an amazing site. An amazingly sad site.[:/]
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yeah, I don't think recreational drug use lasts for very long, from what I have seen (and myself included) they end up fooling themselves with the "I can stop at anytime" line. There is no such thing as recreational drug use, when it comes to coke, crack, meth, etc. (the "hard" stuff)

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Yeah, I don't think recreational drug use lasts for very long, from what I have seen (and myself included) they end up fooling themselves with the "I can stop at anytime" line. There is no such thing as recreational drug use, when it comes to coke, crack, meth, etc. (the "hard" stuff)

Bobbi

If this Q is too personal, just say so, but what made you realize you wanted to change? and furthermore, what did you do to change? Was it intervention from friends/family? or just you had the inner strength to realize that you didn't want to live like that anymore?

I have no experience with crack or meth, but I can assure you that you are categorically wrong in saying that there's no such thing as recreational cocaine use. I know a lot of people who took cocaine recreationally in London over a period of several years and are all still perfectly fine, functioning members of society.

Note that cocaine, ecstasy, and speed are not particularly physically addictive drugs.

Will they hit "bottom" and want help? or is there anything I can do to help them see what they are doing to theirself? or is it a wait and see thing?

In general, they have to hit bottom and figure it out for themselves that it's time to clean up or die. Once they do that, other people can help. But unless somebody you know is already at this point and in treatment, there isn't anything you can do about it. And in the meantime they'll rob you blind for their next hit.

Smokey Robinson was talking about his own crack habit, which he's cleaned up. He said people don't start getting high because they're depressed, they get high because their friends are getting high. All of these drugs powerfully effect the pleasure centers of the brain - like alcohol, which is also a drug. Some people can handle it better than others, some people fall in over their heads and think they're "happy" that way. People who are smug about never having had a problem with it are just damn lucky.

You can ALWAYS pray for somebody, sometimes it even works.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Will they hit "bottom" and want help? or is there anything I can do to help them see what they are doing to theirself? or is it a wait and see thing?

In general, they have to hit bottom and figure it out for themselves that it's time to clean up or die. Once they do that, other people can help. But unless somebody you know is already at this point and in treatment, there isn't anything you can do about it. And in the meantime they'll rob you blind for their next hit.

Smokey Robinson was talking about his own crack habit, which he's cleaned up. He said people don't start getting high because they're depressed, they get high because their friends are getting high. All of these drugs powerfully effect the pleasure centers of the brain - like alcohol, which is also a drug. Some people can handle it better than others, some people fall in over their heads and think they're "happy" that way. People who are smug about never having had a problem with it are just damn lucky.

You can ALWAYS pray for somebody, sometimes it even works.

Your spiritual conviction is apparent. I have seen divine intervention change lives. That is what I hope for in these two cases since they are too far gone to be rational.

I know a lot of people who took cocaine recreationally in London over a period of several years and are all still perfectly fine, functioning members of society.

Note that cocaine, ecstasy, and speed are not particularly physically addictive drugs.

I don't know those people and I won't question your judgement but there is a term called functional addict.

from what I understand those drugs are veiwed differently in the U.S. than in most place. That may be part of the difference in description
My photos

My Videos

Katee "rockBotton" is not a difineable state. befire I got clean I went through about a dozen places I thought were "rock bottoms". When i eventually got to detox and rehab, I was actually in a much better finanical and physical state than I had been for about 12 months.
Eveyones rock obottom is different.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

We should make tobacco illegal. The price would rise to $40 a pack. 2-pack-a-day smokers would be robbing liquor stores to feed their habit.

Riiiiiight, since tobacco is on the same level as crack, the black tar and meth.[:/]

Smoking is pretty expensive as it is and I've never seen anyone selling off everything they own to buy more Camel Lights. I've also never seen someone smoke a Kool Menthal then have a heated arguement and stab someone because of the altered mental state they had from that Kool.

Strangely enough, I've seen both due to crack.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

*** . I've also never seen someone smoke a Kool Menthal then have a heated arguement and stab someone because of the altered mental state they had from that Kool.

I've seen people near kill each other when they have not had cigs for a while
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I realized that I wanted more out of life. I had partied for about 7 years straight. I got to an age where I had thoughts of, "there has GOT to be more then this to life". I was living with a guy and he was worse then me when it came to drug abuse (I was using about 3 grams a day PLUS whatever pills I could get my hands on). I had pleaded with him to get "clean" with me and start a new life with the possibility of kids. It would never happen, so one night I decided I was going to do it by myself. I left work and didn't go home. I stayed with a friend until my friend convinced me to let my BF know where I was. I called him let him know where I was, told him I would be by in a day or so to pick up my "stuff" and continued to stay clean. I picked up my stuff from our apartment, quit my job, found a new apartment 50 miles away, left no forwarding address with my "friends" and never used again. To this day I can not walk thru a Home Depot or Lowes Garden department without smelling whatever chemical they sell there that used to be an additive that they (drug dealers) used in coke to "cut" it. Talk about flash backs! LOL! Makes me ill immediately. I have a friend that does X (recreationaly) He has tried me to "try it, its great" I can't I will never go back to that "life style".

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Agreed, but rockbottom in a sense is ROCKBOTTOM.
that is the point where you can go no lower.

so those points where you thought were rockbottom weren't until you actually hit it.

totally agreed that what you saw.felt was rockbottom is probably different than the next person.
My photos

My Videos

but the overwhelming majority of those I know/knew that take drugs do so purely for recreational purposes, in much the same manner as others might use alcohol.

And this goes to my first category - let's get fucked up and party.

The issue becomes why is it that people want to get fucked up and party? Back in the 60's, people wanted to knwo what the drugs did. There was "experimenting." By now, it is pretty well known that the only reason to do the drugs is the get fucked up.

So, why is having a good time not good enough? The amount of coke, ecstasy and speed consumed is massive. Why? Is it that they cannot have fun without it? Do they NEED it to have a good time?

I don't think it's always related to depression. I just think it's often the thought of, "Fuck it. Why not?"

I suppose it is a matter of values. Some of us find what we think are better things to do. Some think it's the best thing to do. I just personally think that of you've got nothing better to do than get high, then that's a shame.

My thoughts. My values. That is all. I don't hold it against people, but I really don't envy them, either.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

The issue becomes why is it that people want to jump out of a plane? Back in the 30's, people wanted to know how to make the parachutes work. There was "experimenting." By now, it is pretty well known that the only reason to jump out of a plane is for the rush.

So, why is having a good time not good enough? The amount of jumping is massive. Why? Is it that they cannot have fun without it? Do they NEED it to have a good time?

I don't think it's always related to depression. I just think it's often the thought of, "Fuck it. Why not?"

I suppose it is a matter of values. Some of us find what we think are better things to do. Some think it's the best thing to do. I just personally think that of you've got nothing better to do than get high, then that's a shame.

My thoughts. My values. That is all. I don't hold it against people, but I really don't envy them, either.

Yes, I'm a plagarist :P.

It's a lifestyle choice, in much the same way that deciding to settle down and with a wife, a mortage, two cars, and kids is a choice.

so those points where you thought were rockbottom weren't until you actually hit it.

that's what the word "THOUGHT" implies, all you did was restate what I said
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

We should make tobacco illegal. The price would rise to $40 a pack. 2-pack-a-day smokers would be robbing liquor stores to feed their habit.

Riiiiiight, since tobacco is on the same level as crack, the black tar and meth.[:/]

Smoking is pretty expensive as it is and I've never seen anyone selling off everything they own to buy more Camel Lights. I've also never seen someone smoke a Kool Menthal then have a heated arguement and stab someone because of the altered mental state they had from that Kool.

You missed the point. I'm not in favor of legalizing crack.

Tobacco and crack are both very addictive, but people don't rob liquor stores because tobacco is affordable. Part of the crime comes from the expense. It is expensive because it is illegal.

There are drug addiction problems in Columbia, but it is $5 a gram, not hundreds. Some people here spend more than $5 on cigarettes. If coke was $5 here and cigarettes were $200, there would be liquor stores robbed by smokers. My cousin has hated cigs for 25 years.

TRUE
My photos

My Videos

Keeping it in the "I". Yes you do need to hit rockbottom for people to help you to get on a path of recovery but before this point it is a waste of time. But people( friends and family) can bring the bottom up by cutting the addict off physically, emotionally and financially. This can speed up the "PROCESS" up and maybe save there life. Too bad this information isn't used so everyone suffers.
Also you better start praying your ass off.
Track high, Pull LOW!!!