RkyMtnHigh

Cocaine, X, meth...what is the allure?

What's funny is thre irony in her statement, religion is just another crutch

for some it is, i agree, perhaps even for sarah.. i don't know since i haven't met her. but to make a blanket statement like that is simply your opinion and billions of people disagree with you. you shoulldn't pontificate as if you're God himself to the denegration of someone else's beliefs. it's rude and hurtful. as a self-professed former addict who works w/ troubled youth, you should know better.

Micheal is jumping on his little soap box again

No Wayne, I'm just trying to get you to stop behaving like a some of the kids you're trying to save. ;)

As i posted in the post you chose to edit down, it is just my opinion, and where do I say anything remotely indicating that Im pontificating as if I'm GOD
you would do well to use smaller words and put more substance in your posts,

and I'd thank you to leave my job of the boards please. regardless of little smiley winky icons.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

What's funny is thre irony in her statement, religion is just another crutch

for some it is, i agree, perhaps even for sarah.. i don't know since i haven't met her. but to make a blanket statement like that is simply your opinion and billions of people disagree with you. you shoulldn't pontificate as if you're God himself to the denegration of someone else's beliefs. it's rude and hurtful. as a self-professed former addict who works w/ troubled youth, you should know better.

Micheal is jumping on his little soap box again

No Squeak, I'm just trying to get you to stop behaving like a some sixth grader ;)

As i posted in the post you chose to edit down, it is just my opinion, and where do I say anything remotely indicating that Im pontificating as if I'm GOD
you would do well to use smaller words and put more substance in your posts,

and I'd thank you to leave my job of the boards please. regardless of little smiley winky icons.

and i'd thank you for not mocking people when it's so entirely unnecessary. it'll help everyone get along.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Sorry, I can't relate to that sentence. On the other hand - I have 13 years complete abstinence from all mind altering substances. ;)

. . . . Except adrenalyn.:D:D:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Since I don't know anything about these popular recreational drugs, I am curious what is the allure to them? I have watched people wreck their lives due to them but never understood the addiction. How does a person feel when doing them? What is it like coming off of them?

The people I know who've become addicted, they have changed so much from the person I knew before they started using and their psyche and physique has changed as well.

As to my guess as to why...is that they are severly depressed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

To understand the allure of drugs,you have to realise the desire to alter the state of yor brain is natural behaviour for humans.The evidence is overwhelming,nearly all of humankind,both past and present have choosen to indulge.Be it cafein,phychedelics,alcohol,opiates,cannabis,tobbaco,ect,ect.For something to be this inbuilt,it must have had some evolutional benefit at some stage.As with most natural behaviour,like sex,the need to worshiping gods,and the urge to do battle, a few take it to the extreme,and a few don't get involved at all.These urges(allures) are not going to go away,so until society deals with them in a objective,rational manner.god help us.

If theirs a hell bellow,
We're all gonna go.

Yeah, I don't think recreational drug use lasts for very long, from what I have seen (and myself included) they end up fooling themselves with the "I can stop at anytime" line. There is no such thing as recreational drug use, when it comes to coke, crack, meth, etc. (the "hard" stuff)

Bobbi

If this Q is too personal, just say so, but what made you realize you wanted to change? and furthermore, what did you do to change? Was it intervention from friends/family? or just you had the inner strength to realize that you didn't want to live like that anymore?

I can answer that one from personal experience. I fully quit (smoking the coke) when I started skydiving. Junkies have the same brain problems (not sure if it's a problem it just needs to be channeled in the right direction) as risk takers. I got the high I got from drugs only naturally. I think I spent more money on skyding than I did on drugs in, say, an equal time period but I was (am) way happier. Cooler people and such. (Except for those pesky skygods) I haven't jumped in a bit but I'm drug free. And I NEVER EVER stole from anyone for my habit. Begged and borrowed and spent my paychecks. Just like skydiving. LOL
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

To understand the allure of drugs,you have to realise the desire to alter the state of yor brain is natural behaviour for humans.The evidence is overwhelming,nearly all of humankind,both past and present have choosen to indulge.Be it cafein,phychedelics,alcohol,opiates,cannabis,tobbaco,ect,ect.For something to be this inbuilt,it must have had some evolutional benefit at some stage.As with most natural behaviour,like sex,the need to worshiping gods,and the urge to do battle, a few take it to the extreme,and a few don't get involved at all.These urges(allures) are not going to go away,so until society deals with them in a objective,rational manner.god help us.

Excellent!! It's nice to read a response that isn't guided by a narrow moralistic view, a one size fits all diagnostic/therapeutic viewpoint or one driven by the responder's own addiction (to substances, behaviors, or deities).
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

I'm just trying to learn and understand why someone might do a line here or there and why someone would do Cocaine, X, meth regularly as their lifestyle?

I partied for years as a teen with a large group of friends. Pretty natural if you ask me- of all those friends experimenting when I did, a handful did become addicts, 2 overdosed.

We smoked dope, drank, experimented with acid till we got bored, mda (body stone with some speed) which became our favorite drug. No one wanted to do more all night- (satisfied) no one got addicted to the recreational drug.

As I have type 1 sugar diabetes and always had syringes for insulin in my possession, I started "fixing" cocaine and heroin. When I fixed cocaine I loved the initial rush- and learned very quickly no matter how much more I did, it was impossible to get the high like the "initial rush" again- so this helped my ability to decline...I wanted to enjoy the high, listen to music, dance,...but everyone else became overwhelmed with #1 concern to get right back in line to fill their nostrils or fix some more...no one appeared to enjoy the drug after their initial exposure...the rest of the parties after coke showed up always turned quickly into duds... everyone turning into feins- anti-social. I consider myself very fortunate as when trying heroin it felt awesome, but made me puke and initial rush was so different than cocaine- I didn't want to try it again.

Long story short:

I did everything to become a drug addict- the only reason I can come up with why I didn't become addicted was because I was a sugar diabetic from 10 yrs. of age and had learned life long lesson about keeping "control." Also thankful I got some education by watching a program that explained with detailed graphics how the "pleasure center" of the brain becomes destroyed with cocaine use/or X

To this day (40 yrs. of diabetes) I can happily say that injecting insulin daily and eating a healthy diet, exercising, keeping "control" of blood sugars allowed me to have real concern over my body and my health- an inner sense of priority and respect.
B|:PB|

I have always tried to learn and understand why some of us become "drug addicts"--- my experience with those close to me has taught me:
in regard to meth and crack.........

no matter how well they have:
-been raised
-respect for their mind and body
-been respected for their accomplishments in life
-deveoped great life skills and education
-been loving, caring and wonderful people
-have healthy lives and relationships
-are well off financially..

the possibility of becoming addicted is the same for all regardless

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

honest question, devoid of any 'tude, baggage or agenda:

do you believe people of faith are, in some way, addicts?

i realize this is a "one size fits all" question, put this way purposely for brevity and to allow you to extrapolate as you wish...

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Excellent!! It's nice to read a response that isn't guided by a narrow moralistic view, a one size fits all diagnostic/therapeutic viewpoint or one driven by the responder's own addiction (to substances, behaviors, or deities).

So people's values are not important. Neither is personal experience or medical/psychiatric viewpoints....hmmm. Whose viewpoint is narrow???? lol.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Yeah, I don't think recreational drug use lasts for very long, from what I have seen (and myself included) they end up fooling themselves with the "I can stop at anytime" line. There is no such thing as recreational drug use, when it comes to coke, crack, meth, etc. (the "hard" stuff)

Bobbi

If this Q is too personal, just say so, but what made you realize you wanted to change? and furthermore, what did you do to change? Was it intervention from friends/family? or just you had the inner strength to realize that you didn't want to live like that anymore?

I'll answer this directly. This hits close.

About a year and a half ago I had a good job, and was making way more money than I knew what to do with. I was also selling coke on the side, which provided me with a lot of free coke. Almost every night I'd be hammered off my ass, usually from alcohol, but I'd add whatever I could to the mix. I can barely believe I'm not dead and I haven't been arrested.

I was one of the very functional abusers. I still made it to work on time and got more than my my fair share of work done.

The thing that's bad about being a functional addict is nobody knows what's really going on, and many people (esp other users) are quite impressed. It easily facilitates the lifestyle.

Why I quit drugs?

I was aware enough to know that I was going in a downward spiral. I was stoned one day and decided to fuck it, quit everything, go to Europe for a couple months and figure stuff out.

I went to Europe, did a lot more drugs there, but for the most part, had my last big blowout. When I came back, I really slowed down, but over time, realized that with my friends I would constantly be offered or forced things I knew I really didn't want, but was too drunk to say no.

Coke was really the only problem, because it's too fucking good. You might be able to shut it up for a night, only to have it come up a few weeks later as a thought, "Man it would be nice to get another line again." Once you've taken that line, it starts pulling me back.

Last December, I decided I was going to stop paying for it. Plain and simple. I told my friend who was doing it constantly to stay the fuck away from me when he had it and not offer me it ever again or I'd deck him in the face. My main intent was to remove my ability to get it anytime, then if it showed up one night, whatever, no big deal.

It worked. Two lines in nine months that just showed up on random occasions. No other desire for it.

Since then, I also decided to leave my town just to get away from the consistent drunkenness and constant peer pressure. Got a job in Chicago and we'll see where this goes (moved here six days ago), but I have no doubt that my earlier life of reckless behavior is over, save for vacation.

Overall, I was lucky in that I have too much of an addictive personality that I have absolutely no attention span and couldn't get addicted to just one drug. I was also lucky in that I was capable enough to keep the rest of my life on track, so I graduated from college during this time and get a good job, and lastly, and by far most importantly, I was lucky enough to have family that supported me and helped get me back on my feet after I maxed out all of my credit in Europe, and friends who knew to step off when I said I'm done.

I know I'm very lucky in all of this, and it's why I'll tell everybody who is considering trying, don't fucking bother with coke or meth. They're way too good, and especially for people who are otherwise very productive, because for a while, they'll be even more productive. It's when it's almost too late that the negative effects start to be noticed.
This ad space for sale.

i realize this is a "one size fits all" question, put this way purposely for brevity and to allow you to extrapolate as you wish...

I know this isn't to me, but as I make fun of religious people constantly, I'll answer my opinion.

I'm not one to decide whether a person of faith is an addict. I understand what faith is. I have faith too. It's just that I focus my faith on my inner strength, and, in times of stress, I make sure I follow the guidelines that I have laid down for myself (through a variety of sources, all depending on the subject matter.)

For example, if I'm landing a parachute and realize I'm landing downwind in too fast winds and start getting stressed, I follow the guidelines of "relax, breath, count, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, -- flare!" -- yes it has happened.

I see the true purpose of the Bible, the Koran, the Gita, the Tao, and the other texts as the same. They provide a set of guidelines to follow when we don't otherwise know what to do, to give us a way to lead a good and proper life.

However, no one text can cover all facets of life, especially not thousands of years after first written, and when one attempts to do so, without regard for things that have since been proven scientifically, yes, I believe that person to be an addict in his or her own way.
This ad space for sale.

So people's values are not important. Neither is personal experience or medical/psychiatric viewpoints....hmmm. Whose viewpoint is narrow???? lol.

linz

Jeez, girl. By all means disagree with me, but when you change what I wrote and disagree with your own interpretation ...a bit strange, eh what?
-----------------------

You are very fortunate to have not lost anything during that part of your life journey...be grateful for that. You moved, so I suppose that means you changed your circle of friends? Did you have any health problems while using?

I am grateful. Undoubtedly.

I haven't lost my friends. I'm just taking a sabbatical and looking for some new experiences and make some new friends. Also, the more time away the easier it becomes to say no.

Besides the multi-day hangovers and puking for twelve-hours straight, no medical problems. Something else I have no idea how I have pulled off.
This ad space for sale.

I know this isn't to me, but as I make fun of religious people constantly, I'll answer my opinion.

I'm not one to decide whether a person of faith is an addict. I understand what faith is. I have faith too. It's just that I focus my faith on my inner strength, and, in times of stress, I make sure I follow the guidelines that I have laid down for myself (through a variety of sources, all depending on the subject matter.)

For example, if I'm landing a parachute and realize I'm landing downwind in too fast winds and start getting stressed, I follow the guidelines of "relax, breath, count, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, -- flare!" -- yes it has happened.

I see the true purpose of the Bible, the Koran, the Gita, the Tao, and the other texts as the same. They provide a set of guidelines to follow when we don't otherwise know what to do, to give us a way to lead a good and proper life.

However, no one text can cover all facets of life, especially not thousands of years after first written, and when one attempts to do so, without regard for things that have since been proven scientifically, yes, I believe that person to be an addict in his or her own way.

Thanks for your answer :)

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Some people who wrap their lives around their god/religion have, indeed, substituted god for their substance of choice. Whatever the origin of the addictive personality, it's a smoother path for them to be hooked on ...something, than see the possibility of the scary uncertainty to be in control of their lives.

Some are addicts (not "in some way") but addicts in the full sense of the word.

Others of faith? Early indoctrination? Societal reward? Community pressures? Personal decisions based on their own values? I have no idea, for these are not the people of faith I was referring to.
-----------------------

Some people who wrap their lives around their god/religion have, indeed, substituted god for their substance of choice. Whatever the origin of the addictive personality, it's a smoother path for them to be hooked on ...something, than see the possibility of the scary uncertainty to be in control of their lives.

Others of faith? Early indoctrination? Societal reward? Community pressures? Personal decisions based on their own values? I have no idea, for these are not the people of faith I was referring to.

Guess what... ready for a shocker? I agree with you!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Be still, my fluttering heart! :)
-----------------------

linz

Jeez, girl. By all means disagree with me, but when you change what I wrote and disagree with your own interpretation ...a bit strange, eh what?

What? Baffling... :S:S
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Be still, my fluttering heart! :)

shhh... don't tell anyone, especially jesus! :D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Since I don't know anything about these popular recreational drugs, I am curious what is the allure to them? I have watched people wreck their lives due to them but never understood the addiction. How does a person feel when doing them? What is it like coming off of them?

The people I know who've become addicted, they have changed so much from the person I knew before they started using and their psyche and physique has changed as well.

As to my guess as to why...is that they are severly depressed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don’t know about depression. They’re normally taken for fun. There’s a drive to push your limits. It’s an escape of reality. Meth & coke are stimulants that are quickly burned through. They cause paranoia, appetite suppression and they usually fuck up lives if you let it control you.

Ecstasy is mind expanding if used correctly. It is a different type of drug entirely, and is absolutely un-comparable to the above. For some people, exploring every aspect of consciousness is a way to further appreciate life.

Every drug has side effects and consequences…Eventually you decide when it’s no longer worth the effort or the money. In any case, to quit, is a personal decision made by the user, once they realize how much pain they’ve caused to everyone in their life.

My understanding is that people of faith are "captive of a concept"... and they have the ability to stay captive within their concept, ability to block out all of their reasoning skill and keep themselves boxed inside their precious concept. Personal choice is involved.

Addicts do not have personal choice.

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

My understanding is that people of faith are "captive of a concept"... and they have the ability to stay captive within their concept, ability to block out all of their reasoning skill and keep themselves boxed inside their precious concept. Personal choice is involved.

SMiles;)

Whilst I agree with most of that I would hsten to add that having Faith in itself does not mean you are "captive", faith has many many measures.

And as to Addicts not having personal choice, this too is also not true, I chose to stop using after I survived 12 years of active addiction, certain things had to fall in place before that choice was the preferred one. but they are still personal choices.
for 12 years I chose to use drugs,
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

SMiles;)

Whilst I agree with most of that I would hsten to add that having Faith in itself does not mean you are "captive", faith has many many measures.

And as to Addicts not having personal choice, this too is also not true, I chose to stop using after I survived 12 years of active addiction, certain things had to fall in place before that choice was the preferred one. but they are still personal choices.

Congrats on getting clean -and STAYING clean- for so long now!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

faith??........to delve into the more profound dilemmas of human existence?? (Sin, Guilt & Redemption??)

What was your choice of drugs? Crack or Meth???
My definition of addict is one wired to crack or meth.
What personal choice do these people have once they have damaged their brain giving themselves permanent mental illness??

Congrats on getting clean -and STAYING clean- for so long now!

Thanx, I am very content- skydiving keeps me healthy= #1
and smokin a huge "fatty" = #2 -saved my eyes, helps relieve arthritic pain better than any other medication I've tried & a great motivator to keep me smiling...
:PB|:P

-how do you define "clean??"
I have been addicted to smokes & coffee for over half my life....

SMiles;)