RkyMtnHigh

Cocaine, X, meth...what is the allure?

Since I don't know anything about these popular recreational drugs, I am curious what is the allure to them? I have watched people wreck their lives due to them but never understood the addiction. How does a person feel when doing them? What is it like coming off of them?

The people I know who've become addicted, they have changed so much from the person I knew before they started using and their psyche and physique has changed as well.

As to my guess as to why...is that they are severly depressed. Correct me if I'm wrong.

well, I don't havepersonal experience with TAKING the drugs but I do feel that those who take em ,take em becuase it gives them an excuse to be the asshole losers that they truly are.

they are just striving to be the best they can be as far as failures go.;)
My photos

My Videos

well there were many people who dabbled in these drugs recreationally on a few occasions & then went on with their lives without getting hooked on them.

I think many of the addicts are people who started out like that, & then got hooked, probably because they didn't have much else going on in their lives.
I think that's the difference between people who experiment with drugs & people who fuck up their lives with them: what else, if anything, is going on in this person's life?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

yea, Its not the dabblers that I was refering to either.

I know a bunch of those fuking loser wastes of life who don't do anythign but lie cheat and steal to get their next fix.

I wish they would:

A) learn to get over it (preferred method)

B) finish up with thier lives already. they're wasting my time.(harsh, I know but I dealt with them long enough)
My photos

My Videos

well there were many people who dabbled in these drugs recreationally on a few occasions & then went on with their lives without getting hooked on them.

I think many of the addicts are people who started out like that, & then got hooked, probably because they didn't have much else going on in their lives.
I think that's the difference between people who experiment with drugs & people who fuck up their lives with them: what else, if anything, is going on in this person's life?

Right. Not much else is going on in their life for them to have goals or a sense of purpose. Sad really.

I've seen them all in my job. And they typically start out as one of two types:

1) The first type is unable to cope with daily life, so they numb themselves to problems and fears instead of facing them head on. They may be alcoholics, too, or more into harder drugs. They numb themselves to their own pain, which prevents a solution.

It's easier to escape into a feel-good wold than to deal with problems. Life got you down? Try this and you'll feel good. Skydiving actually did that for me. Maybe I haven't skydived in so long because I haven't felt like I needed it.

Of course, the cycle continues, and they have more and more to fret about as life gets worse and worse, so they do more and more...

2) The second type that start are those that wanna get fucked up and party, and the party keeps on going.

Now, I was Number 2. I never tried drugs because I knew one thing - I'd like them too much. You can never miss what you haven't tried, and I always knew when enough fun was enough fun.

Imagine something that makes you feel amazingly good. It stands to reason that you would want to feel amazingly good again. And again. And again.

As life starts spiraling, you feel worse and worse. It eventually gets to the point where the only thing that can make you feel good is the meth, coke, etc. They have now become Number 1.

Eating? Sleeping? Working? Bathing? All become secondary as life is spent looking for another good feeling. I've dealt with the problems that causes families for the last couple of years and it's disgusting and sad.

I've seen those people and I KNOW with near certainty that it would have been me. I know I wouldn't have the discipline to stop it, so I better get the discipline to never try it.

edited to add: skydiving did bad things to my credit, even hurt a couple of relationships. It was all I thougth about for a time. I didn't deal with those things that bothered me because, hey, I wouldn't worry about those in a couple of days when the adrenaline is pumping.

I imagine that, only making you feel ten times better. An ex girlfriend told me that she tried cocaine once, and never, ever again. It was TOO good.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Speaking from being a former addict. Its a form of escape. It is feeling so crappy on the inside that you are willing to try almost anything to feel better even if that "anything" can ruin your life. Your life is hell anyway, so really whats the risk? In the beginning the high is well just that "high" and it only takes a little to achieve that feeling and then the cycle begins, just a little more and then a little more to get to that "high" and so on. Next thing you know you would rather cook with your gas grill and have the gas turned off in the house cause,well what the hell, you have a gas grill to cook with and you can use the money to buy an eight ball. I could go deeper but I am already in a dark place so I won't. Oh and it helps if you have an addictive personality.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

yea, Its not the dabblers that I was refering to either.

I know a bunch of those fuking loser wastes of life who don't do anythign but lie cheat and steal to get their next fix.

I wish they would:

A) learn to get over it (preferred method)

B) finish up with thier lives already. they're wasting my time.(harsh, I know but I dealt with them long enough)

lets just hope thaty none of your near and dear ever have to suffer through addiction, because ovbiously you're not going to be any good to them.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

sorry I wont cry baby abotu this situation.

I respect what Boobi and lawrocket have done.

and to answer your question, NO. I will not put up with any of my near and dear who do not want to help themselves. did that, got burned. fuck them.

simple enough
My photos

My Videos

15 years sober from anything "hard". I do smoke and drink occasionally.

Bobbi

Bobbi, you continue to amaze (impress) me. Mega kudos to you. It takes alot of inner strength to overcome that. Thanks so very much for sharing your story.

Aaaah shit, it not meant to be impressive. Its only part of a very ugly story. I hurt alot of people and did alot of shitty things to myself too. These are the things that can make me lie awake at night and ponder the "what ifs".

Thank you though, I appreciate it. But I am very sure that we all have a cross or two that we bear on a consistent basis that many of our fellow dz.commers have no clue about.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

15 years sober from anything "hard". I do smoke and drink occasionally.

Bobbi

Now THAT'S funny! ;);)

"I'm sober, but I smoke and drink occasionally"

Sorry, I can't relate to that sentence. On the other hand - I have 13 years complete abstinence from all mind altering substances. ;)

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

My understanding is that many of these drugs cause a release of seretonin in the brain, which causes a good feeling. At some point the seretonin becomes deleted, and simply requires more of the drug to kickstart the process. Thus, the downhill slide.

I suspect you'll not get a response from a recreational user here, b/c most of them are not willing to 'out' themselvs as users.
I watched my brother nearly completely wreck his life on meth and whatever else he was doing. I was at all odds with him and completely turned my back on him. That neither helped or hurt. He was in the wrong place at that time. He's since got his life in order. Im happy for that.

My experiments back in the day were for the wrong reasons: peer pressure, social acceptance, escape.
My personality requires a tight reign on my drinking, etc. I focus on mainting my real life: wife, home, career, bills, health, family, etc. All other play must take a back seat. That includes skydiving as I believe the adrenaline rush is just as big a rush as those things I did in the past.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Now THAT'S funny!

"I'm sober, but I smoke and drink occasionally"

Sorry, I can't relate to that sentence. On the other hand - I have 13 years complete abstinence from all mind altering substances.

I can't remember the last time I did drugs....mainly because of the last time I did drugs! :ph34r:

Or a Hunter S. use to say....I don't condone the use, but it hasn't hurt ME any!:$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~