Merkur

Creation or Evolution - what do you think

There was just a report on the news, that 55% of the U.S. citizens believe in creation as the source of life, while 45% believe in evolution. I wonder what you think?
Please keep in mind that I'm more interested in the figures than in people starting fights about their opinion.
vSCR No.94
Don't dream your life - live your dream!

Actually the numbers are quite a bit different than that.

http://www.pollingreport.com/science.htm#Origin%20of%20Human%20Life

45% - God created humans in present form (in otherwords as detailed in Genesis)
38% - Guided by God (lot's of waffle room for "Creation Scientists")
13% - God had no part
4% - undecided.

Of course, believing in something doesn't make it so.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You left out the inclusive middle ground where God created evolution.

That's the theory that I pretty much subscribe to... Pissed of my Fundie Baptist neighbor something fierce...He spent hours trying to convert me before I told him where he could shove his dogma.

It's the perfect middle ground for Christians - impossible to challenge.

i believe in a "higher power" one who performed all of the miricles just as they are written in the King James Version.

and to reiterate what I just posted a little while ago

if so - where does the "greater power" come from?

is that a product of some other evolution ?

Replaceing an unknown X by an undefined, unknown Y
doesn't do squat at explining anything.

Cheers, T
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Thanks Quade - I must admit, that I am just listening to the news with one ear, while I was reading articles here.:$
Nevertheless I am still interested in the outcome here.

To all the rest of you - as I can't change the possible answers to the poll - go with what is there.:P
vSCR No.94

I see more of a mix between the two. I think evolution has had a big effect on life as we know it today, but I think it didn't start at random.

Front page of one of the local Sunday papers the other day said that schools would begin teaching 'Intelligent Design', or whatever that mix of creation and evolution is.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

You left out the inclusive middle ground where God created evolution.

That's the theory that I pretty much subscribe to... Pissed of my Fundie Baptist neighbor something fierce...He spent hours trying to convert me before I told him where he could shove his dogma.

This reminds me of some Bill Hicks (of blessed memory) standup comedy I heard on itunes one time. He told the story of how some religious dudes accosted him after he lambasted Christianity in his comedy routine. They said, "We're angry about some of the things you said in your act." So he said, "Well forgive me." :P (He lightens it up by saying he ended up hanging from a tree by his underwear.)

He has a MAJOR point.

If you get a religious zealot so worked up that they get irate at you, point out to them that it is the heart of their faith to FORGIVE you, as god ordered that they should.

That should set their thermostats to "melt-down." :D

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Such damn conflicting evidence for a mere mortal to choose from!

On one hand, we have all these fossils (not meaning the older ones among you) which show that things change over time.... thus supporting evolution.

On the other hand, so many things that would have pretty impressive to happen through development and not design!

I think if it is design though... someone is having a good laugh.... like everytime I bite my lip damn thing swells so I bite it some more! who would have planned that! :P:D

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

There was another Poll on that subject just recently: Clicky

I didn't vote on this one as it directly addresses US citizens. Would've voted for Evolution tho.

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

I don't give a shit about polls. They are only people's opinions.

Correct, the poll is only peoples opinions, evolution has just a tad more merit though.

As crwtom said, creation explains nothing.

And its dumb.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yes, of course. Hence the name: movement. It moves a certain distance, then it stops. A revolution gets its name by always coming back around in your face. You tried to kill me you son of a bitch...so welcome to the revolution.

Oh, wait. Sorry, you said "evolution," not "revolution." :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

>Front page of one of the local Sunday papers the other day said
>that schools would begin teaching 'Intelligent Design' . . . .

That's an interesting compromise, because it essentially only seeks to discredit the parts of evolution that the intelligent design authors don't understand. A student learning about creationism, then intelligent design is like a child being taught about human reproduction - they start off with a myth (i.e. a stork brings babies or something) move on to a partial truth (i.e. "a man and a woman get married and a baby starts growing") and then the 'real truth' (i.e. sexual intercourse and pregnancy.) A student taught intelligent design is akin to the child being taught the partial truth; it at least introduces him to the science and lets him start discrediting the myth part on his own.

I've got nothing against teaching creationism to non-technical people in private schools; there is no harm to society if a Medieval English Lit professor thinks that women came from a man's rib, or that every land-animal species was one crammed into a little boat. But there is clearly a danger to society if a doctor believes bacteria cannot evolve resistance to antibiotics, so it's irresponsible to say "present whatever you want."

So there is some risk to allowing the teaching of myth as science. On the other hand, there is no danger at all to teaching religion; the best solution is to teach evolution in a science class and creationism in a religion class. That way there doesn't have to be the odd blend of myth and science known as ID.

@Falko:
Thanks. Must have slipped my attention! (Regarding PM - good job and keep on going:P)

@billvon: That's the way they teach in in Germany.

@all:
I am interested in the figures - like I said earlier and as thankful as I am for PM - I already have made the choice of what I think is the truth. So please stop trying to convince me of one or the other - Thanks!:P
Go vote!!!
vSCR No.94

That's an interesting compromise, because it essentially only seeks to discredit the parts of evolution that the intelligent design authors don't understand.

Like maybe the missing link(s)?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

>Like maybe the missing link(s)?
-------------------------------------------
Could This Fossil Be Missing Link?
WASHINGTON, Nov. 19, 2004
(AP) A nearly 13 million-year-old ape discovered in Spain is the last probable common ancestor to all living humans and great apes, a research team says in Friday's issue of Science magazine.

A husband-and-wife team of fossil sleuths unearthed an animal with a body like an ape, fingers like a chimp and the upright posture of humans. The ancient ape bridges the gap between earlier, primitive animals and later, modern creatures.

This newest ape species, Pierolapithecus catalaunicus, is so significant that it adds a new page to ancient human history.
------------------------------------