bigway

Fat America..fattest nation in the world!

Michele, while some on bonfire were dreaming about skydiving without a parachute, I was dreaming about meeting you at a boggie.

When that happens, I will glady give you one of my famous hugs, and we will make a jump together. Deal?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Michele, while some on bonfire were dreaming about skydiving without a parachute, I was dreaming about meeting you at a boggie.

When that happens, I will glady give you one of my famous hugs, and we will make a jump together. Deal?

Ciels-
Michele

It's a deal.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Wow what a flaming thread.

1 - fitness is important. Not sure how normal weight ranges affect that, but too skinny and too fat are problems. The standards are completely screwed up though.

2 - Theme restaurants everywhere (all countries I've been to - quite a few) have portion control issues. Doesn't mean you have to clear your plate. On a per capita basis, I'd say Michael Moore would put any country he is visiting the fattest nation on earth.

3 - Cambridge aside - the Nobel prize is not a gage of IQ, but more of a EuroCorrect PC trash kind of popularity contest. But people can think what they want if they need that kind of shallow self affirmation. But you have to wonder what they are compensating for....

4 - The only time obesity will be on par with smoking is when fat people stand around and puke on everybody in a 50 foot radius every few seconds and think it's perfectly alright and get outraged when asked to cut it out.

5 - AADs are just fine

6 - RSLs are goofy

7 - The player coach rule needs to be fixed

8 - I have a plan

9 - Sheep eat plants

10 - In a total, you should cut away just in case during emergency procedures

11 - the 45 degree rule is fun (to watch people take seriously)

fun thread, hardly any courteous posts in the bunch

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Great post.

But I gotta disagree with you on the Nobel prize. It's one group's estimation of what has contributed significantly, and they've highlighted a lot of important stuff.

The fact that it's not all American doesn't make it less important. We're awfully ethnocentric here in the US.

Also RSLs -- they're not goofy. They're stupid insurance, and cutting away in a total should be optional, but whatever you practice in your emergency procedures (you do practice, don't you?) is what you should do.

That is all :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The fact that it's not all American doesn't make it less important. We're awfully ethnocentric here in the US..

one clarification - Though I did imply Euro/social/commo-centric attitudes in recent Nobel history, I didn't say anything about that equaling 'all American'. I'd say that there are many cultures and countries outside of Europe in addition to the US that are also important.

You Americans, always thinking you are alone in the world..... sheeeeesh

{{Not only do I practice EPs, I frequently check all my handles and straps several times during the ride to altitude including even my helmet buckle on climb out. And anyone else I can eyeball without actually touching their gear - unless they ask or agree if I offer}}

that is not all, but will do for now

I think vanilla is a highly underrated flavor

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

4 - The only time obesity will be on par with smoking is when fat people stand around and puke on everybody in a 50 foot radius every few seconds and think it's perfectly alright and get outraged when asked to cut it out.

Now that's some funny shit.

This thread just keeps getting funnier and funnier:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

~My caloric intake daily is +/- 1200, often lower

So what's that in Kilojoules - for those of us who live in the world?

t

Kilijoules....isn't that what 'Doc' measured his creation in the movie "Back to the Future"? ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

No clue...sorry.

But your comment begs the question why you believe I don't live in the world too?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

No. You don't live in the world. You live in the US. The rest of the world doesn't run rough shod over other nations.

The country where the "World series" has 2 countries playing, both on the same continent.

The country where visitors from other countries are refered to as "aliens."

The country where you eat too much - even if it is in calories. You're eating 4000 - 5000kj a day. I think that's a lot. It's more than I eat, anyway, and I'm (conversion done for you..) 165lb 5'10.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Are you serious, Tonto? Maybe you did not do your converting properly but most average sized men would starve on 1200 calories a day.

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/calsburned.htm

Also, anytime someone uses a unit of measure are they supposed to post all equivalents for the entire world? I don't expect it of others and it's not that hard to google it and find out.

I am soooo sorry that my parents had the total lack of forethought to reproduce in the US thus making me a citizen. I guess I should go running off the nearest bridge since I have the nerve to continue living here despite the fact that I don't run rough shod over anything (and am against that completely), have never organized the world series, and do not refer to the term 'alien' outside of the context of that time I was abducted. :S

No, 1200 calories is not much at all. The average person needs 2000 calories. Especially given that she says she's active in martial arts, etc.

I also eat 1200 cal a day, and have so far lost 85lbs as a result, working on that last blasted stubborn 15.

So, I humbly apologize for my nationality and my BMI of 24.8 as of this morning.

Damn, I'm in a sarcastic mood today. Please excuse the raincloud over my head!

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I am soooo sorry that my parents had the total lack of forethought to reproduce in the US thus making me a citizen. I guess I should go running off the nearest bridge since I have the nerve to continue living here despite the fact that I don't run rough shod over anything (and am against that completely), have never organized the world series, and do not refer to the term 'alien' outside of the context of that time I was abducted.

same here:S I am now extremely angry at MY ancestors who are Welsh and French for even coming to this Godforsaken land. OH the horrors of being colonial.

I am now extremely angry at MY ancestors who are Welsh and French

I'd be bitter too about the Welsh thang. Thank god for your French side, though:|;)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Let's all remember the map of Thailand in "Anna and the King of Siam." I'm sure it's not only the US that's capable of being ethnocentric.

Yup, we still use calories here; such is life. But if you're eating that few kj or calories, that's less than most of the guidelines for people of your body weight and activity level.

From an Australian website on nutrition, I got that the average basal metabolic rate for men is about 7100 kj per day; for women, it's about 5900. Of course, that number will fluctuate with activity level, but still, 4800 would be on the low side.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Hey Bigway,

You haven't mentioned Canadian kids- growing up obese.
A new study shows that Canada's obesity epidemic is getting bigger. The research found that more than one quarter of kids aged three to five years old in Newfoundland and Labrador are overweight or obese. Even the youngest children who were three and a half, were also found to be significantly overweight or obese -- 26 per cent of them as well.

Of the children surveyed in the study, 18 per cent were overweight, while eight per cent were obese. The study is published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.

"We are seeing children as young as eight years of age being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, which at one time was called 'Adult onset.' Now it's in eight year olds -- certainly not adult onset anymore. And they have other kinds of problems that are indicative of later heart disease. They have high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels. It's a very serious problem."

It's cheaper to buy two litres of pop than it is to buy two litres of milk--potato chips are cheaper than fresh fruits and vegetables. "Supersize Me" should be shown in all schools as part of education system. Even though rates of being overweight or obese tend to be higher in the Atlantic provinces, experts say the results should be a wake-up call for the rest of the country.

In fact, studies show that rates of overweight and obese children have doubled in every province in Canada since 1981.

I recently walked into a boy's -grade 6 gym class and observed the problems more than 1/2 were having simply touching their toes. Actually most were laughing as a few farted while bending over.
......................[:/][:/][:/]

SMiles;)

Let's all remember the map of Thailand in "Anna and the King of Siam."

And let's remember the typical US map for many US Democrats graduating from public schooling.....

New York, LA, RetirementLand and FlyoverLand being the only 4 states of the union.

The country where visitors from other countries are refered to as "aliens.....

Have you ever had somebody say, "Welcome alien skydiver". I don't picture that. I once had a nice lady in Redhill say, "This pub is closed. All foreigners please leave." I left without taking offense and came back later.

Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

~My caloric intake daily is +/- 1200, often lower

You do know that the calorie is a metric unit, right?

1 cal = heat energy to raise 1g of water from 14.5 to 15.5 C.

1J = 1 watt of power for 1 second.

Because calories were measured by burning food, I suspect that is why we continue to use it. I wonder how one would measure directly in joules.

Also to clarify - when we refer to calories it nearly always means kilocalories. 1kcal = 4.19kJ

From an Australian website on nutrition, I got that the average basal metabolic rate for men is about 7100 kj per day

Hmmm:| How many kj in a pint of beer?>:(;)
(quick-Google-Unit Converter kj/pint of booze:ph34r:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Even if you stop eating for months: As long as you pour beer in your stomache, you get fat

Coooooooooooool>:(>:(>:(