ColdDuck

Do you jump with an R.S.L ?

Ok..I'll bite first:S..
Hello my name is jason, and I chose not to jump with a RSL system. I chose this because I make it a point to go over my Emer proceedures evertime I'm at the DZ. Plus on the way to ALT it is my tradition to pratice my proceedures at least 3 times before leaving the A/C!!! Also I am pulling at 3000 ft therefore I would like to give myself a sec or two to get as stable as possible before deploying my reserve with a hard deck being set for no lower than 2000 ft. This is what I do. It may not be good for all but it works for me. However note that I havnt had a cuttaway yet!
next....
jason
A-38658

Since I'm still on student status I don't have much choice but to jump with RSL. Personally I think that the advantages of an RSL outweigh the disadvantages by far, just like for AAD's (and car seat-belts....) OK, bring it on!
I think that I would like to have a double RSL on my own rig, so that a breaking riser does not leave me with an entangled mess, as happened to a friend of mine.
Ramon

We've had this thread about 20 times before, and i'll tell you what will happen. A lot of newer people want one, seemingly a lot of more experienced jumpers disagree with them.
I personally have one because i jump student gear, however, i don't think i will have one on my first rig i buy.

I had one and I took it off.
I have a Cypress so don't see the point in both. Plus if I have a horrible spinny mal I'd want to get clear of it and get stable first before I get out my reserve - without having to piss around unclipping the bastard first.
Emma

My mirage does not have one. On my cutaway I pulled both handles and did fine. If you practice your procedures then you know where the handles are and should be capable of pulling both fairly quickly. Even with an RSL I would pull both so I don't see the point. Personally I think the RSL has a strong chance of giving me an entangled mess over my head. I also have a cypres.

Look back through the gear & rigging and also the Saftey forums. This has been done on there quite a few times - there are some very informed views expressed on both pros and cons.
FWIW, an RSL and Cypress do NOT perform the same function.
B.

"FWIW, an RSL and Cypress do NOT perform the same function."

EXACTLY Ben!
Has anyone seen the canopy collision in the Quincy 99 video?? Well, there's a segment of that video where a videographer is flying along under canopy, minding his own business... then WHAM! He gets hit by another jumper under canopy & it leaves a hole big enough to jump a motorcycle through in his canopy... he was at about 800 ft. He yells "Mother fucker," cuts-away & pulls his reserve. His reserve opened just in time for him to land. Guess my point is, shit lot-a-good a cypress would have done that guy had he freaked out & not went for the silver, an RSL however would have easily saved him.
Hellian is right, this is a topic that's been beat to death on these forums and on average it usually turns out that newbies really want them & more experienced jumpers see them as more of a danger. It seems to me that it's some what of a security blanket that most people tend to grow out of, but yet there are still others that never do... which is all just fine, either way it boils down to personal choice & opinion, what makes YOU feel more comfortable... not who's right or wrong!
....and if you are an experienced jumper that still happens to have an RSL, you're probably some 98 jump wonder, skygod wanna be from the UK, with skills comparable to those of spare tire thrown from 13,000 ft. Bwahaha! ;)
"If words were wisdom, I'd be talkin' even more.."

I still sit on the fence when it comes to the issue of jumping with an RSL. I have one on my rig, but take it off for big ways and on windy days.
My big reason for jumping with one is because if I have a mal that slows me down enough for my cypress not to fire, if I end up low, I want my reserve out right away, every second counts right?.?.? But then there are the cases if your main is caught etc and you need time between the main cutaway and the reserve, it pays to NOT have an RSL. But all that said, I guess I prefer the more material above my head the better! :)Tee

With that said, know that you will never beat your RSL when trying to pull your reserve. Though in some situations that could be bad, but if you have to cutaway under 1k, I think that could be very very handy.
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Okay here is my story on the RSL's.
On my 53 jump on my own gear I had a line over mal ( this is why my G/F packs for me now )
Okay I thought ( okay I thought Holy shit, but i thought I would be nice) discard toggles, look locate handles, peel punch, Look look and BAM! my reserve pilot chute went through the lines of the main and the whole reserve opened up with the main trailing.
** This is where I pissed my pants **
I was in another flat spin, I grab the oppisite rear riser to the spin and it finally put me under the canopy at 1000 feet. The main then slides down the lines of the reserve. I pop my reserve brakes at about 600 feet and land.
As the above story tells, Im not a fan of them!
Freemind, freesky, freebeer, freefly, freesex

Lets have a show hands for those who use an R.S.L and those of you who don't.
And if you don't mind tell us why you do/do not use one

Uh, oh.. Here we go again.. We seem to re-hash this every couple of months.. Oh well, here goes..
I do not use an RSL.. I feel that it is more of a danger than a help for me.. I have one set of emergency procedures - I never have to think about whether or not I need to disconnect my RSL in certain situations(such as 2 out, canopy collision/wrap, etc.).. I want to be in control of when my reserve is deployed.. If I have to chop, I want to be able to choose whether I pull the reserve ripcord immediately or wait a few seconds to get stable..
A really good secondary reason I don't use an RSL is because I jump with a camera on my head.....but I quit using the RSL long before I started jumping the camera..
Mike

Lets have a show hands for those who use an R.S.L and those of you who don't.

Nope. To try & keep it simple, it's because I am much more likely to remember to pull my silver handle than remember all the exceptional situations when I'll need to unhook it.
I just gotta remember one thing: if I pull red, pull silver. And an RSL wouldn't beat me by much if I had to pull 'em fast (I grip a handle in each hand).
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

"It -should- be pointed out that it is usually not recommended to jump camera with an RSL attached."

I didn't actually know that Quade, but it makes sense for obvious reasons. I don't actually jump with one myself, & probably never will, for as many reasons as probably everyone else... but that was the only example that I could think of that some others may have seen as well.
Blue ones!
"If words were wisdom, I'd be talkin' even more.."

After I had bad line twists around jump #35 that caused my Sabre to put me on my back spinning I decided to remove the RSL on the next reserve re-pack. I didn't have to use my reserve on that jump.
When I did have my cutaway on jump 76, it was a spinning mal. I chopped at 1600 then pulled silver. I was under my reserve at 1200.
I just ordered a new elliptical canopy to replace my Sabre so I think I will keep the RSL off my rig.
Kris

Merrick, I don't know how you were talking about but:

....skills comparable to those of spare tire thrown from 13,000 ft. Bwahaha!

Hey! I resemble that remark! (we all have our forte and mine isn't RW!):D :D hahahahaha
Sis

I'm not crazy because I take the right pills everyday.

I think because they can get their lines and crap tangled up with their camera gear, esp. ringsights...and after they cutaway they need to get more stable (if possible, i.e., if altitude allows) before they deploy their reserve. If they are unstable their deploying reserve could become entangled with their helmet. etc... (is this correct, anyone?)
Sis

I'm not crazy because I take the right pills everyday.