freaksister

Good DZ's!

Well, I understand the frustration over dz's...some of them are just whacked!
I however, decided to post a thread on GOOD DZ's and what makes them that way!
I may not have many jumps, but I've been to a lot of dz's...
I have liked most of the dz's I have been to, but these are my favorites:
1 - Skydive Dallas - big dz but you still feel welcome, 2 nice turbines (Twin Otter and Caravan), big landing area, but we need a swoop pond, and stop this ridiculous tightening of restrictions in regard to weather holds! Otherwise, great dz.
2 - Front Range Skydivers - Colo. Springs, CO. - very freefly friendly dz, and the AF guys don't even ruin it. :) great great people, big landing area, etc. Caravan and one C-182.
3- Skydive Monroe, GA - what can I say? all the best boys are there. Just watch out for the women! eeeck! Only complaint is you can't sleep in the hangar. Nice King Air, and CASA 2x a year.
4- Eagle Flight Skydiving - Granbury, TX - where I did my training - facilities are lacking but the people are great.
2 C-182s very safety oriented...
I guess what influences my decision are the people and attitude. I want to feel welcome wherever I go...and have people offering to help me on jumps, etc. Sure, planes are important, but they aren't everything! I also treat safety as a big concern. I don't want people sticking their noses up my butt, but I like to see safe aircraft, good JM's, and intelligent manifesting (not pansy manifesting! Just intelligent!) among other safety issues!
Sis
I lust for the ultimate rush...

Atta girl FreakSis! You're right, we should not only address the bad dz's in an attempt to eliminate them, but also praise the good ones for keeping such a high standard! My vote is for : (drum roll please)
Skydive Elsinore! What a treat this place is!!! Big enough to have all the luxories of the big boys, but small enough to retain that family atmosphere...
"pull high! It's lower than you think..."

I would like to tell everyone about SD Temple, is where I started, and where I will continue to skydive. The people are great there, we are a small DZ 2-182's and a 206. But we have a lot of fun. Good facilities,Huge landing area, Air Conditioned pack shed, Camping. The owner usually puts on a bbq every sunday.
***Hook Turns Verboten*****

cross keys, lake wales, z-hills, CSS, and chambersburg get my positive votes.
CK- awesome facility, incredible staff, they let me work there, and i just really like it there.
Lake Wales has to be one of the friendliest DZs I've been to. Very laid back but in a good way, and GORGEOUS views.
CSS- the fayards themselves introduced themselves to me on my first visit there. Great people, great planes, and a really cool new deck out back.
ZHills- who can argue with a DZ that organizes daily tunnel trips with coaches?
C_Burg- just visited this weekend. beautiful mountains/scenery and again very laid back but in a positive manner. felt like vacation. =c)
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

speaking of good dz's...
i recently returned from skydive lake thaoe. and completed their freefly festival....talk about a nice place. beautiful area, nicely equipped. with swoop pond. big landing area, and the most relaxed people in the sport that i have met yet. on a 1-10 scale a definite 10.5.

I haven't been to very many DZ's, but I would certainly elect my home DZ (Oklahoma Skydiving Center) as an excellent one! You can look at their safety record and see how much everyone there really cares about you having a good time and getting down safely! That's where all my friends are, and the reason they are friends...because they are all great people who were there for me when I needed it. From the DZO to JM's to just fellow jumpers, they all helped me when I was going through such a hard time in my progression. The DZO sat down with Merrick and I and talked to us about the best solution to help me personally. He worked with me to get me through it, and to get me on my own canopies. The coach/JM spent a great deal of time with me, jumping with me and spending time on the ground teaching me, until I finally beat it and learned all the things about safety that I needed to know. Everyone else gave me their shoulders and ears when I needed to talk or a hug.
Everyone, even families, occassionally get upset with one another, and that's what we all are, one big family. It's gonna happen. But true friends are the ones who you can look to when you really need it, and there they are despite any differences.
P
A new page! Bi-Plane pics!

Perris, Ca. Big airplanes, 20 minute calls, lots of people to jump with, excellent facilities.
Byron, Ca. Decent facilities, King Airs and super nice people. Jumped there a few times.
Elsinore, Ca. Nice facilities, big airplanes, nice people. I've only jumped there twice so I can't say much more!
pull and flare,
lisa
---
I chose the road less traveled. Now where the hell am I?

1. Atlanta Air Sportz: because the people there (staff & jumpers) are cool, and the landing area is huge. Constantly improving facilities and jump planes.
2. Skydive Atlanta: where I learned to skydive. Super Otter full time, awesome facilities.
3. Irish Parachute Club: some really cool people, and the only sheep in the world that look up!
The Dutchboy
http://www.geocities.com/ppolstra

OK, I've only jumped at two DZs, but I have to vote for ARCHWAY SKYDIVING CENTER in Vandalia, IL, just outside of St. Louis.
Why?? The owners will call you if you haven't been out in a while to make sure you are ok. The landing area is huge and if you miss it, it is surrounded by fields of corn (ouch) and beans. Super nice people. Experienced people always inviting low-timers on jumps. BBQ and bonfire every Saturday night.
It is my santuary. I leave my problems in St. Louis, drive to the DZ, and smile all day. I suck, can't land on my feet, always go low in formations, have been known to screw up exits, but people (including Lew Sanborn) continually invite me to jump with them.

I have to agree with Fallinwoman. I actually have only jumped there (Archway, just outside of ST. Louis), and they have been amazing since my first jump. I only have 31 jumps now and yet the DZO and several others with extremely high jump #'s invite me to do jumps with them all the time. Its an amazing place, very friendly with a big landing area, A king air and a few c-182's. I know i have nothing to compare it to but its a great all around place. Anne what days are you going to be there this weekend?
Safe landings.
Joe

God, I have such a crush on freaksis!
It's because I know so many negative people, and she is the complete opposite! It's very draining trying to buoy these negative people up.
(And just as a side note, in other threads I blasted techno music, but since then I've heard some that were really impressive & I regret my previous remarks. I don't know enough about techno to know if Moby counts, but it was pretty cool. I heard some stuff from other musicians too, and I feel humbled now)
Anyway, about great dropzones. Let's face it, bad dripzones are few and far between! Most DZs are SKYDIVERS, the most awesome bunch of people on earth!! My home DZ as many people know, is Skydive the Point in West Point, VA. Home of skydiving legend Carol Clay who has over 14,000 skydives, and will still ask a newbie like me to jump with her!! WOOHOOO! That's the way skydivers ought to be!!
But I visited Zephyr Hills, and they're great. Also visited Crosskeys, home of Froggie (now Kelly?!) and Stacy. They are a big operation, but they haven't let it get to their head. Very friendly place you HAVE to visit! You can also jump the biplane there without dealing with the police fascists at Quincy!
I also visited Pepperell in Massachusetts, great place, but you usually have to pack outdoors. But I had my first skydiving convert there: Alex, my older brother's girlfriend from Australia!! You know these Aussies, they're all fuckin' nuts!!:D They'll even jump out of a plane :o!!
Delmarva is another fucking great place. I unfortunately have to take a break from skydiving due to full time work plus evening computer classes, but I will visit ALL of these sites again when I get back into it in the Spring!!
Speed Racer
"Come up to my lab,
And see what's on the slab!"

WHAT?!? Noone said ASC? (Atlanta skydiving center) LMFAO :o
SIS the only time we cant crash in the hangar is when there is a boogie :) (or when your here-LOL (JK))
I leanrd to jump at Skydive Monroe - has always been kick ass
I've been to Skydive Atlanta 1nce - would definately go back :)Alabama Skydiving in Pell City was fun
Skydive-Illinois in Morris was cool, but I was there on a Thursaday, nice otter and cool folks
but I gotta give it up for the folks at CHICAGOLAND SKYDIVING in Hinckley illinois, I met a fuckload of people and cant remember everyones name from the week I was in CHicago, but man that place was alot of fun! - definately worth a trip there anytime!
C-28534
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

I've only been to one dz, and I think I've been there more times and not jumped (due to weather, getting nervous blah blah) than I've been and jumped! But Nagambie in central Victoria (Aust.) is great... the couple who run it both jump, the people who work there, instructors, packers etc are all friendly and laid back, I always feel welcome, even if I chicken out of a jump, people are always ready to offer support, advice and encouragement. They're always joking around and laughing but are really serious about safety, and their (student at least) equipment is pretty new looking to me.
It's a whole weekend away trip-to-the-country when I go so I like that aspect too, there's lots of bunks and everyone normally goes to one pub in town for dinner & pool games on the weekend nights so it's just really fun. I have to get a train there but on the way home there is always someone who'll offer a lift back to Melbourne on Sunday night which is great.
Nagambie just has a really good atmosphere and a great plane (Caravan). There was a really nasty accident there earlier this year (one week after I did my first AFF jump, a jumper's reserve prematurely opened in the door and ripped the plane's tail off) and they had a tree-planting ceremony at the dz for him, which I think is really nice.
It's nice to have such a nice comfort zone for something as non-comfort-zonish as skydiving!
larissa

3. Irish Parachute Club: some really cool people, and the only sheep in the world that look up!

Good Man.
That where I learned and that's where I jump all the time... Well weather permitting... 1 C206 1 C182...
Great bunch of people. Great Fun...
Everybody's welcome.
Paddy.
"Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement."

Byron CA - Showed up there and the owner called in skydivers to get enough to jump.
Skydive Dallas - Jumped with people on a "fundamentals" dive; did a no touch Mantis jump w/ 11 others. Awesome!
That place in Mississippi off Exit 69 on I-10 (the only way I know it. Is it Moss Point or something) - Second jump there I organized. Pilot let me do a two way inside the Beech 99. Can you say 0 g's?
Skydive Deland - They have a skyvan.
Skydive Palatka - Big friendly staff. (Number, not size) Wynnie, very cool.
flyhiB|

SIS the only time we cant crash in the hangar is when there is a boogie :) (or when your here-LOL (JK))

ROTFLMMFAO!!!!:D Yeah...you tell her Cyber!!!!
Just kidding babe...and what is this about the women there...they are what make it!!! Just because you had ONE run in while you were there (and I don't think you can call talking to her the whole weekend and having lunch with her a run in) doesn't make it all bad! Anyway....we have a plusses and minuses at Monroe...just like everyone...doesn't make it any less of a KICK ASS DZ!!!! It is my "second" home.
Of course, (and you all knew it was coming), Parachute Experience in Dunedin New Zealand is my HOME and is very cool. All the guys and gals(all 2 of 'em) are GREAT!! Yeah, it is a small, come as you are, we jump when we feel like it DZ, but that is the best way to learn...and get lots of attention needed for being a student!
Most of the other DZ in NZ are great...Ashburton I really liked. Rotorua has nice facilities. Dannevirke is run by an awesome couple, Christchurch Parachute School is okay...for an air base DZ with small packing facilities..but it is indoors at least!
Dallas is cool, but what Sis says is right on! And I hear the SD Monterey Bay, CA is supposed to be GORGEOUS!! Supposed to look like Dunedin from the air....and I CAN'T WAIT TO JUMP IT!!!!
Skydive Atlanta was cool, but the only time I went was when they had the "polar bear" Otter and it was a slow ride to altitude. When Sis and I tried to jump their Super Otter they have now...NOBODY in the "full" hangar wanted to jump again....as if skydivers ever need another reason to jump other than...to jump!!!!(right Sis!!!)
Enough outta me...
Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Pyke :P
NZPF A - 2584
USPA C- ?????

My favorite place to jump is Skydive Greene County. Full time Casa and 2 Westwind Beech's. Staff is great, the freefliers are starting to come together, the 5 minute manifest's, lots of pilots and planes. Facilities are a bit rustic but very nice.
Welll... I got to say Skydive Chicago is on my list of great DZ's to jump at also. Three full time Otters, you never know a Tandem is in the plane, world class organizing, Padded and air conditioned packing hanger, 15 minute manifest's, the list goes on and on. Also all the hotties are a nice touch too! :)Do I HAVE to do another raft dive??? :)

Skydive Atlanta. My home DZ is great. We have a Super Otter 90% of the time. You can crash in the hangar and the people are really great.
Raeford, NC. Awesome DZ. 2 Twin Otters, Casa, several Cessnas, More world famous skydivers in one place than you can shake a stick at. Lot's of hotties. Nice bar and restaurant. Thomas' Pool!
Haven't been to Florida civilian DZ's yet but will make that trip before too long.
"The cab driver said... he recognized my girly by the back of her head" -Beasty Boys
Clay