caledoniankid

girlfriend trouble

>I wonder if a female skydiver has the additional problem w/whuffo men being intimidated by the fact that they (the women)
>do something that the man doesn't have the balls to do.
I have two skydiving friends whose spouse/SO actually got into skydiving (in one case, for her) but just didn't like it. They were both Marines, and I doubt that fear was much of a factor so much as they didn't like all those creeps at the DZ.
-bill von

I used to have a friend named Darla. Darla was a football fanatic. Her girlfriend Cathy hated football and one day cut the power cord to the TV because Darla was ignoring her during a game (luckily the scissors had a plastic handle; Cathy wasn't the brightest). Anyway, about a year later Darla came home from work. Cathy decided she was going to distract Darla before she could turn the game on, so, when Darla walked through the door Cathy was standing there buck ass naked with a rope in her hand. She told Darla that she could tie her up and do anything she wanted. Darla said, "Anything"? Cathy said, "Anything." So Darla tied Cathy to the bed and went in the livingroom and watched the game.
Keith

as they didn't like all those creeps at the DZ.

That's my semi-whuffo b/f's only problem with me jumping! He hasn't jumped in 5 years, will probably never jump again, but understands that skydiving is my passion, just as flying is his. He really doesn't like it when I'm out at the dz partying and he's not there though...
pull and flare,
lisa
--
What would Scooby Doo?

In my opinion it depends on whether you started before you met or after. If you started after you met it needs to be a 50/50 decision unless you think more of skydiving than her. If you started jumping before you met her then she needs to move on and find someone who doesn't jump.
I was jumping before I met my wife. She knew how much I loved the sport and didn't even try to get me to quit. We met for the first time when I asked her to come to the DZ. Even though she still don't jump she likes go to the DZ every bit as much as I do. She has been a manifest girl at two different DZs and could fly through the first jump class getting almost every question right. She passed up a chance to go out to a comedy club, on our second date, when the DZO offered to fly us to a neighboring state to jump at their DZ when it was too windy here. She always puts my jumping first with out me asking. There are non- skydiving women out there who will put you and your jumping first or split the weekends up to include time to do what she wants. But then you could find a female skydiver who wants to go every weekend.
I really feel this is a decision you need to make for yourself. It's your life and future at stake here.
Idiocy = Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

I started after I was married and my wife was against it, and I told her that if I cant jump because of $$$ reasons than I understand, I wont put my $$$ for jumping ahead of $$$ for my family, however if it is not the issue then I dont see the reason to NOT jump. And now that she see's me coming home, and not killing myself she is totally supportive. Its just all about compromise!
jason

I started jumping after I've met my b/f. When I told him that I was going to do it, he told me to go ahead and have fun, but the day of the jump was totally another story!!! He was seeing all kinds of signs for me not to jump. But I still did. And when he saw the comanderie, joking and laughing after the jump he was jealous!!!! And forbid me to ever jump again. He was jealous because I was the only female jumper (still am), and the guys where kissing and hugging me, congratulating me on a very good first jump. And it's not like I didn't try and talk him into jumping with me. And that's why I dumped him, not because he was a whuffo, but because he almost took away the only thing that ever made sense. Now I date a skyguy and I'm happier than I've ever been. No doubt, we do have our differences, and we do want to bash each others heads in sometimes, but as far as skydiving is concerned: It's HEAVEN.
If I ever have to date another guy, and it so happens that he's a whuffo, it won't matter as long as he doesn't try to stop me from skydiving.
Hang onto Heaven, when hell is on your back;)

First welcom to the sport don't give up!!!!! paula is on the money ... here are some other things to try have her sit in on your classes and see if your instructor is willing to awncer her questions.. fove her talk to other female skydivers... see if see would try a tandem that worked on my girlfriend but now in the spring i have to pay for the AFF classes...ouch!!!! but it will be worth it ..... well dude i hope something works out for you and you girlfriend .... good luck!!

just jump!!!
gopher

I'm sure it must be intimidating to others...

That's kinda funny! I met a boy last night that I hung out with for a little bit. He found out that I like to skydive after my dz friends walked in. He told me he wasn't sure how to talk to me since I had bigger balls than him! Whatever.
I've only had a few dating experiences since beginning skydiving. I don't think it matters if you date a whuffo or a skydiver (I've had extremely scary experiences with both.) My advice (doesn't count for much, but often works for me) to you caledoniankid, is to be careful dating anyone who doesn't let you do what you want.
"Back to the earth I feel it; back to the earth I'm fallin" Rusted Root

"is to be careful dating anyone who doesn't let you do what you want."
May I be so bold as to alter this a little bit:
"is DON'T DATE anyone who doesn't let you do what you want."
Otherwise it's a mixture for trouble in the long run. If ya don't like what I do, then you ain't gonna like me.

"is DON'T DATE anyone who doesn't let you do what you want."

Not to get into some weird philosophical argument, but by saying that, YOU are telling him what to do. Some people are happy being submissive to their sig. other. It's not for me, but I know a couple of people who are too immature and need someone to "guide" them.
Also, I sometimes think it would be better to marry a whuffo. At least that way, I know one of us is saving some dough (in hopes of retiring at the age of 40.)

I have a feeling you just might be responding with sarcasm - my appolgizes in advance, if so :)
Dunno if I would go that far, because now you are basically doing to them what you don't want them to do to you: "Do what I say or else". It's a matter of compromise, she should accept you for who you are and support you in whatever endevor you choose, and you - likewise. If she is unable to meet in the middle, then that is a sign of problems to come - since almost everything in a relationship is about compromise.
Then again, it's just personal opinion - and I ain't no marriage counsellor, I can tell ya that.
** I use the terms 'she' and 'you' as not applying to any one particular individual or couple. **
Actually I'm of the opposite opinion about jumper g/fs - I made it a personal rule not to date at the DZ - since I don't want to become part of the next episode of 'As the prop turns'. *heh*

He he....yeah, I guess I don't really have room to talk on this subject matter, seeing as I am not to wise as how real relationships are supposed to work (I have issues with that "compromise" thingy you were talkin about-I just can't do it!)
I agree with the whole not dating at the dz thing, though. I avoid weird situations as much as possible; breaking up with someone at your own dz would probably push one person away from that dz (known from a somewhat personal experience.)

"breaking up with someone at your own dz would probably push one person away from that dz"
And it's a 50/50 chance that person pushed away is you. Yeah that would suck - especially with a bad breakup and if either of the parties rebounded quickly (or had a particular mean streak) and started dating someone else at the DZ right away - talk about ugly.
Of course taking advantage of a one-timer tandem student who had a few too many to drink the night afterwards around the campfire - that's a completely different story. *heh* But I'm a good boy would never think to do that.

By age 40?
Wow, that's ambitious. *heh*
If you find a guy who can retire by 40, his family gotta have cash - let me know if he has a cute sister and she is willing to get married in Calif (pre-nups in Calif cannot rule out reasonable alimony *heh* - at least that is my understanding).
As my papa always said, "A-L-I-M-O-N-Y - spells trouble for me." Time to be some trouble. *heh*

Actually I'm of the opposite opinion about jumper g/fs - I made it a personal rule not to date at the DZ - since I don't want to become part of the next episode of 'As the prop turns'. *heh*

Yep, and that's why, as frustrating as they are, I don't rule out whuffos entirely. I just don't need the drama of a dropzone relationship.
I've decided I need a jumper who goes to a different dropzone. :)Walk a mile in your enemy's shoes. Then you're a mile away and have his shoes.

Do you have a brother who can retire by the age of 40? ;)
"I've decided I need a jumper who goes to a different dropzone."
Me thinks you opened a good can of worms with that comment. Hell, why limit yourself one b/f at a different DZ - get a b/f at each of a group of rival DZ's.

The funny thing is I saw that exact episode playing over at the tents at Sebastian this afternoon. But I wouldn't have it any other way, it's part of the charm of the sport and all that.

Jess..... is halfway across the country good enough for a different DZ? If so, can I be your new boyfriend?

Hmm, yes, that sounds adaquate. Please get started on this paperwork.... It's quite extensive, so you'll want to get cracking right away.
Hey, I just realized something though...dating someone at a different DZ means I'll never get laid! Fuck THAT!
Walk a mile in your enemy's shoes. Then you're a mile away and have his shoes.