caledoniankid

girlfriend trouble

I wonder if a female skydiver has the additional problem w/whuffo men being intimidated by the fact that they (the women) do something that the man doesn't have the balls to do.

Absolutely. They tend to feel emasculated.
And I've completely stopped buying, "Wow, I've always wanted to do that!" Now I flip them 35 cents and say, "Call me when you do."
Well, not really, but it would be cool. :)Pet me! I'm harmless and cute!

Warning: the following post is not trying to start a flame war, but this just got me thinking and I am at work on a Friday, so I thought I would share my thoughts.
This whole whuffo line gets blown way the hell out of proportion. I love skydiving. And I will admit that dating the wrong person can make that hard. But the key is the worng person!!!! If you look for the right person, whether they jump YET does not amount to shit. If they have all the right qualities for you, then they will probably jump soon enough, and even if they do and dont like it, if they are your soul mate, who cares?
I am so tired of hearing, EWWWW, whuffo! We were all whuffos once, and someone gave us more info to jump instead of saying "Oh, yeah everyone always tells me they wanted." So far 5 or 6 of my friends have tandemed, and I also organized our first static line class of 6 people, 3 of who kept jumping. I am proud I have helped bring it to that many people. After dating for almost a year, my gf made her first tandem last fall...and she fell in love with it. The rest of the boogie she kept saying that it was not fair that I was going up and she was not. So as soon as she gets some money, she will be in.
But that is my point, limiting yourself to skydivers is kinda silly. I can't wait to jump with Jenny, because I love doing everything with her. Not I cannot wait to date her, because she jumps. Plus, percentagewise I get along with a lot more whuffos than jumpers. Fellow jumpers you either really like or you don't want to jump with. Whuffo can be just average friends. And plenty of just like us, jumpers in waiting. SO give them a break.
For the original post......like someone already said, try getting her into it. Remember, while we could stare at canopies landing all day, it is much more exciting to do than watch. And if not, maybe she is not the one for you. But NOT because she does not jump. Rather because she will not communicate and compromise with you on your dreams.
Malachi

But that is my point, limiting yourself to skydivers is kinda silly.

and kinda hopeless, if you're a guy. It seems to be mostly women who have the luxury of being more into that whole thing of: IF YOU DON'T JUMP, WE DON'T HUMP!! :)Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"

Way to go Malachi.
When I met my g/f I was heavily into climbing, ie every weekend I possibly could. Now I am heavily into skydiving, again every weekend I possibly can. My g/f was not into climbing, and she has only done one tandem and wasn't bitten by it.
Cutaway? Not a chance, we have been together over ten years, and we have stuck together through thick and thin. If you are right together it will endure, regardless....Suzy respects my compulsive obsession and realises that she can't force me to give it up for her, just because she's not into into it.

The problem isn't that the gf doesn't jump its that she doesn't want him to jump. That I don't agree with. I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to skydiving and if my gf told me to stop jumping I would have a very serious talk with her after I had stopped laughing. Right now there is not much that will stand between me and skydiving, and if that sounds selfish; So be it.
I'll go to college; learn some big words; I'll talk real loud god damn right I'll be heard.

Some big expert. I posted this 11/21/01, but If I had to start from where you are, I would have done things ALOT different.

I left the whuffo for the Jumper
Long story short, I finally TOTAL dumped by whuffo ole man and moved in with my JumperBoyToy. Having a blast but I hate moving. And there is no possible way that I could be any happier. Should have done this YEARS AGO. Kids (7 & 14) are fine with everything.
I get this excited feeling and a big smile when we are together (kinda like a skydive).... Wish us lots of love and luck on our new Family (Houston stay tuned for Housewarming Party.)

Paula
P.S. Lot's of Love and Luck to AntiMike too-He's gonna need it.

Actually, Zenmeisters the man. Surprised he hasn't weighed in. Great Wife, Cool with the Whole thing, has her thing.
Fly Your Slot !

Fly Your Slot !

This whole whuffo line gets blown way the hell out of proportion. I love skydiving. And I will admit that dating the wrong person can make that hard. But the key is the worng person!!!! If you look for the right person, whether they jump YET does not amount to shit. If they have all the right qualities for you, then they will probably jump soon enough, and even if they do and dont like it, if they are your soul mate, who cares?

Yeah, but you do admit a jumper's ideal is to be with another jumper, right?
What I'M talking about is dating guys who
a) belittle my jumping because it's something they're afraid to try
b) pretend that they're interested in jumping, but actually aren't and won't even come out to the dropzone to hang out with me because then that makes it put up or shut up time.
I've been involved in skydiving for a year and a half, and I'm a social 25-year-old, and I've dated a LOT of whuffos in that time. And unfortunately, they all seem to fall into one of those two categories.
I think there must be a gender disparity. Average girls think guys who do extreme things are sexy. Average guys, on the other hand, are intimidated by girls who do extreme things.
But that's just my bitter, 25-year-old spinster take on things.
Pet me! I'm harmless and cute!

"I think there must be a gender disparity. Average girls think guys who do extreme things are sexy. Average guys, on the other hand, are intimidated by girls who do extreme things."
Never a more true statement!
"Houston? That place is full of Crack heads and debutantes."- Hank Hill
Clay

I think there must be a gender disparity. Average girls think guys who do extreme things are sexy. Average guys, on the other hand, are intimidated by girls who do extreme things.

Problem there though is those "average" girls are into the "extreme" guy because they think he's going to take them on some wild adventure. When they find out he's really just an "average" guy that happens to skydive, they get bored(God forbid they find adventure themselves) and blame the guy.

Are you kidding, girls in extreme sports rock. If I met one that was in something I didn't do yet, I think I would have to try it out. And I'm willing to be that I'd be hooked (I sort of have a history of doing all sorts of different "extreme" sports)
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.-General George Patton-