Freeflyfucks

Other sPorts thats YOU DO........humm..?

my conclusion: that skydivers are made up of a diversified group of people, many who do not do participate in other sports. Thus leading to my hypothesis that skydivers are pretty much one-sport-specicic- Why?
I dont see others doing any other sports, And I hope to GOD many of them dont (coordination=0, and failing any AFF level.........hummmm.......)???. I've been riding BMX since I was able to shit myself. Surfing huge waves (in santa cruz) sice I could stand. Racing and jumping bikes at age 9. rock climbing, white water kayaking, etc....thus, i have been in constant persuit of Bigger and Better. Yet, this has tought me that slow constant progression is better. Do i heave my self off of a huge 9' double my second day riding. Do I hit a class 5 rapids with out looking....Paddle into 40 foot waves at Mavericks.......fuck no. Do I (with only 72 jumps) even fathom a god damn hook turn. ?? NO...
My hypothesis is: ......skydivers who sink them selves into the dirt doing hook turns and moves that they shouldn't pull, haven't been or tried other sports that require a lenght of time for minimal .......and only minimal ....progression (to be average).
Question:::::::: What sports do other skydivers do? and how good are you....(honestly)....

Thus leading to my hypothesis that skydivers are pretty much one-sport-specicic- Why?

I can answer that with one button on my keyboard.

"$$$$$$$$$"
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

To add to the question... How many skydivers USED to be involved with other sports, and have since stopped?

Last year I stopped jiu-jitsu (pretty good) because of the cost - which was WAY less than jumping, oddly enough:S - and because my local club closed and the drive to the other one was too long. I still cycle (average), expedition hike/camp (pretty good and knowledgeable), and rock climb(average), but have started noticing that the demanding desire to do those things is weakening. I haven't given any thought to doing expedition camping trips this year, whereas normally I'd be chomping at the bit to lose myself in some patch of wilderness. But that would take away from my skydiving time! I'm quite happy spending my weekends at the dropzone.

As for your theory... I think that there are people of every age/sex/background in every sport who hurl themselves into the thick of things too soon, with too little experience or common sense. That said, varied sporting experiences throughout life will undoubtably give a person a higher degree of common sense when faced with choices like high performance manouvers.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

>I can answer that with one button on my keyboard.
>"$$$$$$$$$"

That took 4 buttons; Shift, 2, AltGr and 4...
:S

Seriously, the only other sport I "frequently" do is rollerblading.... I bought the blades before I started skydiving so it doesn't cost me any extra. I've been considering taking up some martial arts again, after a 10 year pause, but it would just cost too much jump tickets...

Erno

is that b/c he makes an ass of himself everywhere he goes, or b/c all the ladies wanna grab his tush?

I do alot of Photography, its not a sport really but it takes up most of my Money. But thats gonna change B|
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

ive always been into pushing my limits.
biking, ulitmate frisbee( it really is a fast paced game when you play with the right ppl)
jsut got into snowboarding. um ive gbeen known to jump outta planes here and there!
My photos

My Videos

I like to keep myself active as much as possible, I play football during the week both at lunchtime and after I get home at least twice a week! I try to play squash at least once a week which I like to think I'm pretty good at! and I try to cycle a decent milage as well. None of these things cost a lot money which is good , but all of these sports are keeping me fit and active cause I sit around all day during the week in front of a PC!
I like climbing as well but it can get expensive as well, through climbing walls and travelling to crags to climb. I've not got all the equipment which holds me back as well, but once you have it you've got it!
I'm at the same point with jumping, i've been slowly building up my equipment, altimeter, protrack etc.. but it's all about balance and sacrifices!
Spending 3 out of 4 weekends at the DZ adds up even if the weather is crap!
Cause the bar is still open and drinking time is just extended! ;)

Before learning skydiving: SCUBA dive (got to be a Dive Master), surfing, body boarding, roller blading and motorcycle.

After learning skydiving: skydiving and sometimes (2 times a year) SCUBA dive. the Surf board is broken (repairs cost me 30$, thats 1 jump and beer), sold motorcycle so I could buy my rig, my body board is working but haven't used it in 2 years and the rollerblades are now full of dust and I think spiders are living inside. Skydiving changed my life.

About your hypothesis: I have been hurt a lot of times cause of doing crazy things with the motorcycles and almost drown a couple of times when I was learning to surf (I thought the big waves were better for learning), now I know crazy and risky things without knowing or getting somebody to teach me will get me hurt.

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I have to agree with Viking, "$$$$$$$" is a big part of it.

But when I can (and the wife lets me) I take my 1982 modified unlimited class Thunderbird stockcar to the track. It's the only rush that can even come close to load-out.
To err is human (Total chaos requires a ferret)

I my self just discovered skydiving, (60 some-odd jumps ago-) and hook turns aren't even on my list of things to do even someday - but before this never really got into anything this intense. What else is there?

Live to Jump - Jump to Live!

Easy Does It

I used to race motorcross. It was a very demanding sport. I am getting older now and could not shake the crashes off like I could when I was 18.B| Who said motorcross was not a contact sport? I got into street bikes. I like to drag race street bikes. I had a race car that I just sold to finish my student training. Nothing comes even close to jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.;)

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

Hmmm.... I've been into all kinds of "X-treme" sports (if you can really call them that). I raced BMX when I was younger, that led to flat-land freestyle and vert competitions when I got a little older, I was actually ranked pretty high in our area on flat-land, and my claim to fame is that I was invited & went to Matt Hoffman's house to ride for a Saturday when I was 15. LOL Next was skateboarding (vert & street), a buddy of mine started doing that instead of riding, so I tried it out too. Then in college all my friends would drive to the city and tear it up on their roller-blades, so I started doing that too, grinding rails is a little harder than it looked! Only did that for about 2 years, then I started riding motorcross. I loved the speed and the air... so naturally, skydiving was next (I think I may have topped out ;)). It seems I always trade some sport in for another. I traded BMX for freestyle, freestyle for skateboarding, skateboarding for rollerblading, Rollerblading for Motorcross, and finally motorcross for skydiving (yes, I sold my bike to buy my first rig). Skydiving is the first thing that I haven't gotten bored with fairly quickly... and I picture myself doing it until I can't anymore.

"Do i heave my self off of a huge 9' double my second day riding"

Yes actually, and I clear it by 10 feet! B|

"skydivers who sink them selves into the dirt doing hook turns and moves that they shouldn't pull, haven't been or tried other sports that require a lenght of time for minimal .......and only minimal ....progression (to be average)."

Nice hypothesis but I disagree... to 'toot my own horn for a second,' I got pretty damn good on vert ramps on my bike, did that mean that I never mis- judged or mis-timed some trick or simple landing, hell no. No matter how good people get at something, they are always going to make mistakes.... Period. There's just not as much room for error in this sport, that's all. I've seen guys with thousands of jumps biff in on a normal landing approach, the planet doesn't give a shit how many jumps you have.

Blues!

Merrick

I started most of my sports and hobbies at or around when I first started jumping... Finally getting out into the world and getting a life I guess (hard to have a life when you are putting in 100 something hour work weeks).

So, lets see... :)

Rock Climbing, Sailing, Kayaking, Motorcycle riding (touring mainly, but also offroad), Running (finally got a 32:20 4 mi!). Trying Tennis pretty soon too hopefully. :S

Now I just need more time AND more money. :P

My nearest DZ is two hours drive away, so it makes it easier to schedule a 'jumping weekend' and actually do other stuff, since it isn't feasible to spend every evening there [:/]

Trying to fit in as much as possible during the summer, because once winter hits (northern michigan), not much is going to be happening that isn't indoors.
---
'Damn, I sure wish I would of kept that pretty silver handle' - cutaway ruminations

I agree there is a percentage that only do one sport, basically live at the DZ and do nothing else. I mountain bike two to three times a week on single track. Golf once or twice a week. During the Winter I snowboard (Alpine). Combine this with working 50+ hours a week. We have to have fun!!

I've still got my rollerblades and I use them all the time, I have'nt got the kayak out this year, but thats a time issue. I've never been one to get deep into sports, i hate baseball and football. The only other sports I like to play are soccer and hockey. I'll still play a bit of soccer when ever I find a group to play with. My snowboard is still waxed and ready to shread if needed too.

Jumping takes a lot of time and money. I think its important to have a balance out side of the DZ too. One day most people burn out of jumping and its nice to have a fall back sport at that time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

ultimate frisbee

Nike has a team even.......but that was nothing compared to the workout they got playing water polo.....all deep!
As to other sports......synchronzed swimming,water skiing,water polo,cliff diving,snow skiing.
I do other things as well........but those have more to do with training on a regular basis. ABOVE all these..........I'm just Jettisonable Cargo!

Ya, as a friend of mine told me the other day: "You used to be such a well rounded person. Now all you do is skydive." I couldnt challenge her much.

I used to train martial arts (TKD, Jujitsu) quite a bit. I'll say, I was pretty good at jujitsu, at least on the ground. TKD, I was ok, nothing spectacular.

I still play racquetball. Not exactly an extreme sport, but its fun. I would rate myself a B player on a good day.

I used to rock climb quite a bit. Rock climbing mostly takes the same kind of weather that jumping does, so if its a good day, I'm jumping, not climbing. Ive lead 5.9 and followed 5.10a. I'd say I can consistently lead 5.8 so I'm about average. Best climb I ever did was a 5 pitch 5.9 on Lumpy Ridge in Rocky Mountain National Park. That was a cool climb.

I ride motorcycles, have for 25 years. Have a Kawasake ZX12R (Ninja 1200). Blazing fast bike.

I also shoot competitively. Sniper competitions. Since you asked for an honest evaluation, on a good day, I'm one of the best competitive shooters in the country. I say 'competitive shooters' because there are a lot of guys out there that dont shoot competitively that would probably kick my ass...or not...

Thats about it. I run some, but just for exercise (I hate it), lift some, camp some.

JC

I have my instructors rating in skiing, and I was on a racing circuit for 3 years.

I also have my instrcutors rating in canoeing - but I don't think this is what you were looking for.

I was into street rating (honda prelude) for a year or so when I was in Toronto.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I also trained in JuJitsu and Taekwondo for 3-4 years before getting into skydiving. I was pretty good at both. I was competing in Nationals in Taekwondo. I have my blackbelt in Taekwondo and was also teaching and had just gotten my teaching certification. I haven't taken a class since I made my first jump.:S I suspect I'll get back into it eventually one day. I loved the teaching aspect which is why I'm considering getting into AFF certification down the road.

I also did/do some rollerblading. I don't do it as much anymore mostly because I moved and the streets are horrible so I have to drive somewhere to go now. Been thinking about taking my blades out to the hanger to goof off between loads. I've never been very good though so I'd be likly to hurt myself or someone else.

I also love camping/hiking and did two week vacation in May to Carlsbad caverns, Grand canyon and Moab Utah. I'd like to go more often but it's so damn hot down here and no $ to travel.

I think that's about it for me. I tried running once and trained up to doing a 5K but hated it so don't do that anymore.

It seems a lot of skydivers were/are in martial arts. I guess it's just one of those things.

Christina

I have a scuba certification. I also used to mountain bike, hike and other stuff.

Now most of my free outdoors time goes to skydiving... and house maintenance. :S

I don't get out nearly as much as I did, but such is the life of a busy family man with a job. Oh, to be a carefree teenager again....

"It seems a lot of skydivers were/are in martial arts. I guess it's just one of those things"
I have noticed that in this thread. I too was into TKD until I got injured in a tournament. Took a long time to heal from that. Maybe I'll go back some day.
Also seems a common thread that many were or are into other xtreme sports.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

I used to be a hard core Mt. Biker, too much money to upkeep the bike, rather spend it on jumping and I'd rather spend my weekends jumping then driving to cool trails and stuff. I quit playing paintball too, I'd rather spend the $80-some when I played (just about every other weekend) on jumping, although I still have my schweet setup, even though it is now outdated. My beloved project car ('73 1302 VW) has had to sit unattended due to the lack of cash to buy the parts I want/need.

Yeah, I took 4 years of TKD also...I guess the skydiving personality is drawn to that stuff too.

Well, atleast I'm still into lifting weights.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Same here - life started after I started jumping - I think it gave me a new confidence that I didn't previously have in myself. There's so much to do and so little time and money to do it now...

I was always into bass fishing with topwater lures mostly - now I fly as a student pilot, shoot, fly R/C, anything that will give me a rush...At this point in my life I'll try anything once and if I don't like it after I try it, then I don't have to do it again...

B|
Rhonda
PP ASEL