why do people wear closing pin jewellery?

I never thought I would ever be a woman's fashion designer, but I just came up with a bitchin' design for a thong bikini incorporating 3 ring quick releases.

I wonder if I'd have to give Bill Booth royalties?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It is one of the rings that make up a 3-ring release system. You've probably seen skydivers with some sort of necklace made of all 3, or 2 of the 3.

Oh, thanks :)
I've never seen one but I'll keep my eyes out... Too bad thong=strap though... a 3 ring-release thong would be KICKASS!

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I wear my closing pin necklace b/c it keeps me close to the sport when I'm not actually jumping or at the DZ. Like most people I too have caught myself daydreaming and playing with my necklace. Its also a cool way to recognize a fellow jumper when it seems you are all alone. Some buy one after a specific jump that was memorable like a 100th jump,or a particularly cool jump...maybe a record setting or something.I was given mine when I finally got to do my first jump after a month of waiting.Its a reminder of good memories and better times.

Just my .02 of course.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Hmmm...maybe thats why I don't have one. It's something in my personality that makes me rebel against the Lemming mentality

That's why I have Three rings and a closing pin....to be different....as EVERYONE has a closing pin...not too many people have the three rings...and you'd be surprised how many people at the DZ, in the store, or even in the ER when I drop patients off remark on it....and then I get to discuss my favorite sport and recruit more lemmings....;););)and I will never flirt with nurses ever again....as long as I am dating the FallinWoman.....:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Many replies later, guess it's time for me to give my opinion (I'm sure you all feel like you're missing out.)

I had bought one two years back to kinda remind me of my first "boogie." It was an important weekend for me in skydiving, and the boogie t-shirt is really ugly...so that was reason number one.

My necklace was pretty ugly so I didn't wear it much, but sometimes when wearing it, I met random strangers saying "Oh! You're a skydiver!" I love talking to random strangers, so I keep wearing it.

That necklace was just too ugly, so I made one of my own (still ugly, but I like it!)

Think I'll make myself a new one soon with my school colors or something (but, my school colors are ugly....so I'll never have a pretty necklace.)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I've been looking for a necklace that I can wear to work. I can't get away with a hemp necklace at work or somethign along those lines, due to our dress policy. At WFFC however I found this gorgeous gold closing pin on a gold chain that has a sweet 4 pt diamond in it. Everyone notices the diamond now and asks about it.

Some days when I'm not at the dropzone I start feeling disconected from this amazing thing I've discovered, or sometimes I get a bit guilty over the money and time I'm spending on it. I look at my necklace, or touch it, and it puts me back in the air and gives me perspective.***

Ditto. Although, being a corporate lawyer, I don't get to wear mine every day for my stuck up meetings. In addition, since I don't wear any kind of jewelry (not even a watch) my gf gives me a hard time saying things like "What? Back to puberty?"... It's all in good fun though.

Sometimes I wear mine, sometimes I don't.

When I wear it, I like feeling that I'm wearing something that means something close to me. When I don't , it's usually b/c, like Stacy said, it's not appropriate for work.

I have a mini, sterling silver closing pin that cost about $30 (it was a gift, I didn't pay for it.) That closing pin is on my kitty cat, Sabre's colar. My closing pin is the regular size and cost $5. For $5, why not wear it?

my closing pin neclase is special to me.... freeksis made it for me...it has two little wingnuts on eitherside of the closing pin and i added one of the two reserve closing pins that where on my rig when i had my last cutaway(rig has since been deemed unairworthy) .......someday i'll start the fad to wear a pilotchute on my head as a hat......

I had someone ask me if it was a religious thing.
IN my career I am not supposed to wear jewelry unless its religious(we work with some high voltage...shouldnt really wear conductive jewelry at all.)

but my answer was this...
This is MY cross. it gets me closer to God.
Im not very religous but I wanted to thwart off the impliactions of having to remove it.(wasnt on powered equipment when I spoke to him)
but I didnt lie. In a physical sense I get closer to God who, as you know, most ppl think lives above the clouds somewhere. and It is my Cross b/c "its what I belive in.":P:P

that was a bullshit answer but I think its fun to fuk with people about it. I wear it as a symbol of my respect for the sport and the community. it keeps me close to the sport even though I am breaking my roots free from korea. I am always palying with my closing pin.

I can only wear the one Pammi sent me when I am not at work. Hemp stuff is frowned upon in the military[:/]
My photos

My Videos

1) Mine's a good-luck charm....I rub it before every jump, and hope for no mals....it's worked every time so far . ;)

2) I wear mine for me....usually under my shirt.I promised myself I wouldn't get one 'til I got my A, and it's symbolic of a fantastic achievement to me. I've never been one for jewelry in general, or necklaces in particular....everytime i wore one (usually given to me), it always pulled out my chest hair, which is irritating to say the least ! Nowadays, I wear my 300 ring for my perfect game and my closing pin....two accomplishments that I worked hard for.

And from now on, I'll describe it as a rune for "closure"....that is classic, Seth.

Pammi -- you are a "1". I literally almost fell out of my chair laughing at your comment. If I were Merrick, i'd be afraid to go to sleep if there were scissors nearby !:)

Don

when i got my omega 120 i was left with the pilot chute from my old canopy(did over a hundred jumps on it )decided to make a necklace out of it. soon after the necklacees started poping up every where.
mine just has special meaning 100+jumps thats why i wear mine
if my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
my site

It's something in my personality that makes me rebel against the Lemming mentality

sooo you dont follow anyone out of the plane when the door is open? ;)

I've been "spotted" by at least 6 other skydivers while traveling around the planet for work. in some very strange places...

that and the fact i like it.