lummy

Something we haven't started a thread about

What was your first car that you owned?

The first one I ever owned was a late 70's station wagon, Ya know, the square ones with the fake looking panels. I bought it from a guy for $50 and had to put a rotor on it before I could drive it. I had it impounded about a month later for driving without tags ( Who would have known all the little nuances in buying a car, titles, registration, etc.,and heck I was living on my own in Vegas at 18, but that's another story)

The second I kept a little longer tho, a 76 malibu classic with a 350 small block. I used to do SF to La in about 4 1/2 hours, got a lot of tickets in that one too for some reason...
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

When I got my driver's license, I inherited my parents 1978 BMW 320i. It took me all of two months before I had flipped it end over end at 120 mph. Fortunately, my friend and I both walked away (BMW safety systems rock!). The car, however, ended up about two feet shorter, and sort of twisted sideways. I'd broken both axles, so it took two tow trucks to move it onto a flatbed, which took it to the junkyard. I still miss that car.

I guess it didn't really surprise my parents when I started parachuting.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

White 1958 Rambler Station Wagon w/ bright red leatherette interior. The car was approximately as old as I was, but I certainly was in much better shape.

Shook like a son of a bitch if you were able to get it up to 55 on the freeway. Drove that car from the time I was 15.5 'til it fell apart when I was about 18. Was a real POS, but got me to school and work (sort of) and my girlfriend and I had a pretty good time in the back every once in awhile. :)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

It took me all of two months before I had flipped it end over end at 120 mph. Fortunately, my friend and I both walked away (BMW safety systems rock!).

Kinda reminds me of that Aerosmith video where the two teenagers crash that (caddy?) into the wall and rely on the airbags...
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

'73 VW SuperBeetle (1302). Still have the car, its a sweet ride, custom paint and body, drove it for 5 years. Apparently they're death traps and my family was freaking out, thus the very large pickup...Well, eventually I'm going to drop the money on the parts I need to build the drivetrain that I want to build for it...:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

A '66 old's Cutlass Convertable i bought from a neighbor for $49.00 and it had 49K on it. It had a 330 V8 and it could fly! It was totaled when a drunk decided it was time to drive sideways down the ice covered highway one xmass eve. My girlfriend went through the window but didn't get hurt. thank god! i remember tooling around one night after a party, and got pulled over for making a legal u turn. It was in Ann Arbor, and the cops were boored to hell, so they wanted to just pass the time they did a complete search of the car and then let me go. When i got back to the party i told the friend that i had given a ride there, and he turned white!! i was like what the fuck is up??? And he explained that he had left a pound behind the back seat!!! i was ready to kill him!!! Fortunatly it was hidden under the rag top that was down and couldn't be seen from the trunk.... but what the hell the cops i think just wanted to get high... i mean those were the days of the Ann Arbor Hash Festivals in the diag..... but it would have changed my life if i had been busted, especially for something i didn't do....
My favorite car i just retired, it was an '86 MR2 with a tricked out suspension. i put 220K on it and loved every moment in it. even when i took it air borne!!! but that is another story....
m
~ a temporary reconfiguration of stardust

86 Sunbird that I got for 1500... 200 in parts and a few hours labor sold it for 2000 less then 4 months later. Then a 86 F-150 that I drove for a bit, then a 93 Ford Taurus that served me well for a few years. I had the keys to a 98 Vette and a 95 explorer in there for brief (too brief with the Vette) peroids of time too. Sold the Taurus for 400 less then I paid for ir after racking up an additional 25000 miles. I'm on a '97 Ford Probe now that I'll lose my skin on if I sell it... but the whole IT department at work is into drag racing so they are looking at turning my car into a project car if I get a new one so it might not be bad to see the Probe do a 13 flat at above 100 in the quater...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My dad said he'd get us cars, so my mom wouldn't have to spend so much time driving us to swim practice. But, he insisted that it would be a (used)stick shift, so we would always know how to drive one, and so it wouldn't be so easy for other kids to drive our cars. So, the prize of a car that he got me? A powder blue Pinto! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

1978 Camero w a 305 (if I remember correctly). I inherited mine from my sister, who had bought it new, and held on to it. I think I inherited it around '86/87. But, did the father/son thing where we fixed it up. Stripped and painted it, redid the interior, did a little engine work, but basically kept everything original.
Of course, I had to spend a little more of my $$$ to put a nice LOUD stereo system in it. I had a Kenwood head unit, a passive Sanyo equalizer, and four Kenwood 6x9s. The kicker was this 100 watt Sanyo amp, that was about the size of two cinder blocks, it was huge. Man has car stereo technology gotten better.

Matt
A well-informed person is somebody who has the same views and opinions as yours.

1974 Chevy Pickup- completely stripped, and a plain AM radio- Never got any tickets with it except for tail lights being out one night. It did get me back and fourth to school, work, and alot of parties during my junior and senior years! Turned oout to be great for hauling people to and from bonfires/keggers up in the hills.

Easy Does It

A beautiful red 66 mustang. I loved that car...AM radio and all. She caused me quite a few trips downtown to call my dad...something about a speed limit. Thankfully the officers all knew my dad so I just got chewed on instead of a ticket.

My dad sold it for that reason. The chick that bought it flipped it a week after she bought it. Idiot...she ruined a cool part of history.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

My first car was a well known Yugo 45 from Zastava, the only car manufacturer in late Yugoslavia. Here in Slovenia, there are still a lot of these cars on the roads today.
It was made in 1990, my parents bought it for me in 2000, and it had only 42000km. It costed incredible 250$ at that time.
I loved it!!! It was slow :)

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

A 1971 Hornet. It only took 'regular' gas so it was rough trying to plan ahead to gas it up, it had a cinder block under some padding to make up the driver's side of the seat and would only go 30 mph (I lived in the country...LONG ride to school!). Oh, and the heat didn't work. The blue bomb!!

Gawd, I'm so happy to have a real car now!

1977 monte Carlo. pretty sweet car actually. BIG big sweet! swivel seats semi worked 350. decent radio and all the young ladies I could find(hey I Was 17 at the time is was perfectly legal)
those swivel seats were fun!;)
My photos

My Videos

White 1960 4-door Corvair with a red interior.

I had two concrete blocks in the front "trunk" to keep the nose from wandering at speeds in excess of 5 mph. AM radio only -- who else remembers when AM played the hits of the day, were the big stations and FM was only for highbrow classical music freaks in the big city? And forget stereo, that was something unheard of in vehicles; hell, you had to make the choice of stereo/mono when you bought your albums...

Damn, I'm old!:D

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

1972 Chev heavy 1/2 ton p/u. for $50. (My cousin put new tie rods in it, and got sick of blowing tires....ever heard of an alignment, idiot?)
250 inline 6 and 3 on the tree.
Hadta change that! Built up a strong mid 60's 283, backed it with a muncie rock crusher 4 speed. Man that truck would FLY! Had a long commute, so I sold it to get a vehicle with higher mpg. Sold it to a farmer who wanted to give it to his 16 year old son (I built it when I was 16, sold when I was 18). I warned him.....alot of power.....he said his kid had been driving since he was 8, no big deal....so I sold it. Kid promptly wrapped it around an oak tree less then 2 weeks later. Man I STILL miss that Midnight Black w/ Red metalflake truck, and it's been almost 14 years!

My first car was a 1985 BMW 318i. It had a hand crank sunroof, leather seats and was also a stick. It was considered by my friends and family to be a very difficult stick to drive. I learned on it at 14 (it was my mom's until she sold it BACk to my dad for him to give to me - poor guy bought that car twice!) and ever since I have always been able to drive a stick. Although the only car I owned after that one that had a stick in it was a Mustang LX 5.0 25th Anniversary edition with a 302 Boss in it. Sweet! I loved racing GT's because they were typically faster than an LX but because I had the 320 Boss and the LX weighs less (not as much ground effects and body stuff) I could beat them. Well, most of them...hehee

I wrecked the beamer before I even had a real license, my dad had it fixed, and it drove fine until the transmission got stuck in reverse one night while I was out partying. I drove all the way home backwards. Then he offered me a NEW car which I totaled, and replaced with the Mustang. Since then I have owned two cars, a LeBaron convertible and my current car, a 99 Cougar I bought off the dealer lot. (Bad financial decision!) I am still driving it with a bunch of dents in it. The engine runs ok though - knock on wood. *I am very hard on cars*

From High School through College...

Nissan 4x4 - Wrecked
Honda Civic - Wrecked
Mitsubishi Eclipse - Leased and I put too many miles on it road tripping and my dad took it away.
Isuzu Sedan: Blew the Engine.
VW Jetta: Still Working and my current car.

Started with a trashed 73 Datsun 610 - holes in the floor, bent suspension parts, rotting fenders. Spent six months making it roadworthy. I drove that for 6 years. When I finally retired it I had to pay a junkyard to take it - it had 280,000 miles on it.

Had a 79 Plymouth station wagon for a while - what a piece of junk. You'd have to bail out the back seat when it rained, and driving it made me sort of seasick. Then I finally bought my first new car - a CRX Si. That car was great to me. Fast, relatively cheap, easy to fix, sunroof - what more could a 22 year old want in a car?

From there, a Madza MX-3 which I hated (sold it within a year) a Toyota Previa minivan (lived in that for six months) and finally a Honda Civic Hybrid. I wonder if my next car will be 100% electric?

A 1976 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Red with a white "landau" top and white interior. 350 V8, Turbo 350 trans, kick ass stereo (well, kick ass by 1981 standards anyway). Didn't need to use the back seat for gettin' busy, the front seat worked better.

Only took me two years to completely thrash it. Damn, we had some fun in that car! ;)

90 Sunbird - got it in 94 with 70,000 miles on it sold it in 97 with 150,000

97 Mustang GT - got it with 2,000 miles on it, it currently has 110,000....

damn I like to put miles on my cars, thanks god Denver isn't as big as Houston I can actually go longer than a month without an oil change.
Fly it like you stole it!