sunshine

I need good beer

If you want to sample just a few beers in a short amount of time with walking (stumbling) distance to a hotel room, get you plane ticket quick and go the the Great American Beer Festival - Info at http://www.beertown.org/GABF/index.htm.
I used to run a volunteer crew at the event and never walked out without a slight buzz :S.
Here's the different brewers that will be there this year: http://www.beertown.org/GABF/participating.htm
Enjoy~~~
-----
~~~Michael

Hefeweizen

Finally someone said the magic word! Ever tried imported Franziskaner? You can get it bottled in some supermarkets (at least I know one in SJC), and some bars and in Dallas there was (is?) a beer-bar (Gingerman?), where you can get it on tap.

This is what to look out for: http://www.franziskaner.info/

And don't forget to add a slice of lemon....
My Logbook

Another thing you may wish to try is mix some tomato juice with beer....I know it sounds gross, but I've seen a lot of people do it, and they say it kills the beer taste. That way you can buy the cheapest beer around, and even after the cost of the tomato juice it's probably still less than a good import. Although if it's beer for a first, I'd say get the good stuff, keep the dz happy.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

Truth be told I actually brew my own beer and have for some12 years... It can be an acquired taste, and certainly the way I do it is not necessarily real consistent, so if I'm going somewhere I usually end up with some commercial stuff that travels better...
I enjoy trying out the local brews when I travel. The best I think I ever had was in Cologne - called Dom Kolsch, I think. What I didn't realize was that I wouldn't be able to get it again after I left Koln (I was travelling with a rail-pass). It was named after the famous Cologne Cathedral - the Dom - (what a place for a base jump!). :o
One of the best things about travelling is the gems you might find in the local pub...:)You could always travel to Munich for Oktoberfest on a fact-finding (or beer-finding) mission...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Start with Bass, finish with Guiness. A meal in a glass!

On one of the first dates with my wife we went for pizza, and I asked her if she wanted a beer. She says "You wanna get a pitcher"

Dingdingding.

OK

Do they have dark beer?

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!

"beer-hag" Bad Clay, Bad.

Hefeweizen

Finally someone said the magic word! Ever tried imported Franziskaner? You can get it bottled in some supermarkets (at least I know one in SJC), and some bars and in Dallas there was (is?) a beer-bar (Gingerman?), where you can get it on tap.

This is what to look out for: http://www.franziskaner.info/

And don't forget to add a slice of lemon....

wow Ive been talking about franzikaner for a while
those thihngs are goo-uuhd!
My photos

My Videos

on my first date with my boyfriend he tried to order a corona. i said, WWWAAAAHHAHAAAA!!!!! you're not going to drink that mexican piss water, are you????" he's never ordered a corona since. i wouldn't touch the stuff even if it were free.

sam adams=good
bass=good
guinness=mmmm....(if it's a decent pour)
most regional and microbrews=good...or at least worth trying
budweiser=bad (especially bud light)
grolsch=tastes like someone drank a beer and puked it back into a bottle
red stripe=hangover beer. you drink and drink and never get drunk...just get a headache.

living in new york, i love my brooklyn beers. saranac is quite good, as is new amsterdam.
i LOVE an aventinus - wicked strong german beer that knocks me on my ass...the only beer i've ever had where the aftertaste is better than the initial taste.

i think it's important to try the local beer wherever i go. i think in the four months i was in australia, i sampled more types of australian beer than many australians have in their lives.
spiral out...keep going...

Skydiver Blonde
Windsock Pale
(both from the Lang Brewery in Montana)

Ruby (McMenamin's)
Yellotail Pale (Ballast Point)
Mirror Pond Pale (Deschutes)
Sierra Nevada Wheat
Pyramid Hefeweizen

None of these are "advanced" (i.e. hard to drink) beers; none are hoppy or particularly dark or bitter. (or bizarre like lambic beer.) However, they are some pretty unique beers. Ruby is a 'fruit' beer but tastes nothing like you'd expect. Skydiver Blonde is one of the lightest beers I've ever had that actually tastes like something. The Pyramid is a strong hefeweizen without that hoppy taste that some others have.

You may like some of the above, although some are hard to find. (I have some Blonde here if you want it . . .) I can pretty much guarantee you _won't_ think they all taste the same.

Oh I forgot....someone gave me a beer once that had an apple cider taste to it. Someone else might know the name, but that was REALLY good.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Hey sunshine, come up to Maryland & I'll treat you to some really good homebrew! I have a Kolsch, some hoppy IPA, and a stout. Wait the Kolsch is gone, but I just made an Oktoberfest steam beer, and I will be starting a nice light blonde ale next week.

If you want real beer, see me. It beats the shit out of those bland watery commercial lite piss beers.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I can't believe someone would recommend Corona; why do you think you need to put a lime in it? Mexicans don't drink that; try some Presidente or tres equis (not to be confused with "dos" equis) if you want good Mexico/Central American beer. I prefer Presidente to almost anything. Nacional is decent "south of the border" beer too, if "authentic" is what you seek.

As for Carribean beer, Red Stripe is for tourists. Most folks in the basin drink Carib, which is fucking outstanding. I used to have a case sent to me every christmas by a friend on St. Kitts.

As far as american beer goes, I drink a lot of Yeungling and Rolling rock when I am in the mood to drink just beer. If I am in the mood to do 12 ounce curls all night and not get too fucked up, it's all about the lights, like Andrea said. All that being said, if someone is giving beer away, which is very common around here, I will drink anything but regular Budweiser. That is truly "headache in a can" at this stage of my life.

Chuck

That's it! Everyone keeps talking about their fancy shmancy beers far far away. You're relatively close to Chicago....so start yourself off with a hometown brew: Old Style!!!! Mmmmm....tasty!

Don't drink Guiness! It's way too sweet and tastes like maple syrup mixed with coffee. I think you tried Killian's....but you don't like that one, right?
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

guinness isn't actually sweet, it's a dry stout. Are you sure you aren't confusing it with something else?

Unless it was a car bomb, which would make it taste sweet. That's where you drop a shot of whiskey into it & chug it. A terrible thing to do to a good pint of Guiness!
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------