Monsterchute

What makes you proud of the USA?

This question came to my mind lately, since it is a long time ago i was in the US the last time.
I would like to know what makes americans so proud of their country? Why are americans a lot more patriotic than most other countries?
I would be particularly interested in events you are proud of that happend in the last 50 or so years.

PS: This is not meant to be a provocative question, i am aware of a lot of things americans can be proud of.

I'm an honorary Texan Y'all.B|
One thing that makes me ashamed of the USA though....its neighbours.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

We have become the most powerful nation in the world, not because of conquest, but hard work. That is something that we are all a part of. Of course we have our freedom too. Its really hard to explain it--the feeling, no words can really describe the depth of it. Its something you would have to experience when you see the flag and hear the "Star Spangled Banner", see every day people become heros, understand what good we actually do around the world (despite the criticism we face.), or truly grasp the depth of sacrifice that has made us what we are.

No system is perfect. Heaven knows ours has flaws.

After emerging victorious and mostly unopposed after the last "Good War" (WWII), I'd have to say that I'm proudest of the amazing breakthroughs in science and technology, made possible by the nearly limitless potential our brightest thinkers are free to achieve. Thanks to the daring and initiative of the Founders, who stood on the shoulders of the Enlightenment and used their brilliance as a torch to ignite freedom around the world, never before in Mankind's history have so many had such immense opportunity, unconstrained by ridiculous notions of "class" or "caste". The putting to paper of that idea alone, the "self-evident" (or "DUH!") TRUTHS that we're all equal and have basic RIGHTS that belong to us all, no matter who we are or where we're from, makes me proudest of all.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I could come up with an endless list of reasons to be a proud American. But since I have seen many other countries I know it is not an accurate statement that Americans are more proud of their country than other people are of theirs. I do however find that most Americans that travel to other countries have a tendency to be more proud of this country because they get to see first hand that its not propaganda but that indeed we live in by far the best country in the world.
I have found that even Western Europeans (people of first world countries, England, Spain, Italy, Germany, etc.) who tend to be proud of their countries, when speaking honestly will tell you that they love their country but give them a green card and they will be in the U.S. in a flash.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I think that the American pride and attitude can best be summed up by the following:

"Back in London, I was having dinner in the Groucho Club-this week's in-spot for what's left of Britain's lit glitz and nouveau rock riche--when one more person started in on the Stars and Stripes.

Eventually he got, as the Europeans always do, to the part about 'Your country's never been invaded." (This fellow had been two during the Blitz, you see.) "You don't know the horror, the suffering. You think war is.. .'

I snapped.

'A John Wayne movie,' I said. 'That's what you were going to say, wasn't it? We think war is a John Wayne movie. We think LIFE is a John Wayne movie--with good guys and bad guys, as simple as that. Well, you know something, Mister Limey Poofter? You're right. And let me tell you who those bad guys are. They're us. WE BE BAD.

'We're the baddest-assed sons of bitches that ever jogged in Reeboks. We're three-quarters grizzly bear and two-thirds car wreck and descended from a stock market crash on our mother's side. You take your Germany, France and Spain, roll them all together and it wouldn't give us room to park our cars. We're the big boys, Jack, the original, giant, economy-sized, new and improved butt kickers of all time.

'When we snort coke in Houston, people lose their hats in Cap d'Antibes. And we've got an American Express card credit limit higher than your piss-ant metric numbers go.

'You say our country's never been invaded? You're right, little buddy. Because I'd like to see the needle-dicked foreigners who'd have the guts to try. We drink napalm to get our hearts started in the morning. A rape and a mugging is our way of saying 'Cheerio.' Hell can't hold our sock-hops.

'We walk taller, talk louder, spit further, fuck longer and buy more things than you know the names of. I'd rather be a junkie in a New York City jail than king, queen and jack of all you Europeans. We eat little countries like this for breakfast and shit them out before lunch.'

Of course, he just smiled that superior European smile (God, don't these people have dentists?)"

This was taken from P.J. O'Rourke's "Holidays in Hell." A good read. Hell, at least he has the anatomy to say what he really thinks...

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I had to think about this for a while!

What makes me proud of the USA is that it is MINE... it is a part of me. Just as it is a part of everyone else here (in the US). It is like our child - it is what we collectively make of it based on how we treat it and help it grow. It has made some mistakes and been misunderstood during its growth, but it is still a good kid at heart.

What also makes me proud is the number of people who willingly put their lives on the line to protect our child every day... including the numerous ones who already have laid down their lives in its defense and the defense of our ideals.

I may get some heat for this from people who don't feel as strongly as I do about this but that is ok. I will still be the guy who you can identify anytime the Star Spangled Banner is being played because I have a huge smile on my face and tears running down my cheeks.

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway

That we make an effort to accept _all_ cultures, religions, races and opinions, and that we defend even those we disagree with.

That we, more often than not, try to do the right thing even when it costs us a lot.

That our economy works primarily because we work our butts off.

That we've managed to uphold the ideals espoused in our constitution (usually.)

i think you should be proud off still figthing while we(non US people)criticise your jobs all the time.

Im one of thouse that has easy to find bugs,and tell,but im not so good to tell when its good:$>:( i think many people has it that way.Negative vibes comes out firstB|

then you invented Mac D,and opened my eyes to that you cracy guys/gals cant cook:ph34r::D(just a joke).

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I thought a lot about this too, if Im gonna pick the one thing that makes me personally proud of the good ol U.S.of A, its got to be the regular, everyday American citizen that makes a conscious decision to put aside everything, including possibly their life, to protect MY freedom.
I could attempt to elaborate on this but I will probably just fuck it all up so,thats all I got to say about that :|

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I think the thing that makes me proud of this country is its promise.... the ability to make a place for yourself by your hard work. Its a huge family we belong to, even if sometimes some of our brothers and sisters are down right dysfunctional.

People have come to this place from every country and corner of this planet and have forged a country that is an ideal to much of the world. Here YOU are responsible for making your life what it is, whether you are native born or immigrant. People from EVERY race,color or creed have become successful here. Through hard work you can become a millionaire if you so desire and have the drive to get it.

I also applaud those who volunteer their time and money to help their communities, from rural fire departments and search and rescue squads to charitable groups such as Habitat for Humanity who help to build a better life for their less fortunate neighbors.
We as a nation are not perfect. There is discrimination against all sorts of groups who do not deserve that form of hatred. But on the whole I think it is lessening as time goes by and people are educated and embrace tolerance of others who are not like themselves.
We owe so much to those who have served and are currently serving to protect the freedoms that were eloquently spelled out in our Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of these United States. Far too many have given their lives in defense of our freedoms and the freedom of others throughout the world. I am proud of what we have built here in this land One Nation... that was conceived in Hope and Promise and Liberty for all people.

Jeanne aka Amazon

This was taken from P.J. O'Rourke's "Holidays in Hell."

"Pull up your pants, turn your hat around, and get a job." P. J. O'Rourke's advice to the next generation.

I am proud to be an American because we can supersize everything, including Anna Nicole Smith.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Our fiercely capitalistic spirit. While it results in some real abuses, it also has permitted experimentation and invention. The good it's produced has far outwieghed the bad. As a people we like shaking things up and trying something new. And we have enough of a conscience to try and do something about our nastier problems. And it isn't just people who come here from all over the world - it's SKYDIVERS too, just look how many of our brothers & sisters come here to cop some vacation dives.

And great American music. Everone from Frank Sinatra to Jerry Garcia. We invented rock'n roll baby!

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I'm an honorary Texan Y'all.B|
One thing that makes me ashamed of the USA though....its neighbours.B|

Actually, Canada IS what makes me proud of the USA. Look at them, then look at us. 'nuf said? Usually, yes, but just in case it isn't enough for you, look at the number of Canadians working here vs. the number of Americans working there.....yet another reason to be proud.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

number of Canadians working here vs. the number of Americans working

Considering they requirements are the same either way, it just shows that the they're more quality manpower available from our side of the border ;)
Remster