Monsterchute

What makes you proud of the USA?

Casual Friday does it for me. Some countries have siesta, we have casual Friday. Check my hoochie mama.

Arrrgggghhhh! My eyes! I must gouge them out right now OR post a quick "relieve my eyes" pic.....
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

casualfridays.jpg

number of Canadians working here vs. the number of Americans working

Considering they requirements are the same either way, it just shows that the they're more quality manpower available from our side of the border ;)

The opportunities though. Why does AndyMan work here instead of Canada?

Must be because Canada is soooo much better huh?

NOT
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

geeeze... I hate re-explaning things to americans... its takes always soooo long.....

The reason Andyman and so many other fellow canadians work in the US , and that relatively (woooo big word) few americans work in Canada is that there are very few desirable US people to employ.

And let me repeat: ;)

Happy 4th guys!
Remster

I think it is because we are a country that is constantly under construction. Politically, socially, economically.
Sometimes we build the Golden Gate Bridge or the Chrysler Building...sometimes we build Disneyland and MacDonalds.

Oh yeah there's that Texas thang too.;)
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Because we have the ability to help other countries like we do. We have the ability to help those that need help the most. We have the ability to help other countries in their fight against starvation, diseases, evil rulers, and not least the ability to "Save" countries from being overtaken and completely destroyed, even if they don't appreciate it. (France) Most of all. I am proud that we have the "Bill of Rights." that is part of the Constitution. Perfect? No. But it at least has the ability to be changed and bettered. We get to Choose!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My story:
In 1957 a teenage Hungarian attending a student/workers rally was sent fleeing for his life as the Soviet Union tanks rolled into his hometown. "The revolt was squelched" but there was to be a high price to pay for being involved. Knowing this the US allowed 26,000 to enter the country as refugees. My father was one of them. My grandmother was jailed for 6 months and the rest of my remaining family were interrogated. The cold war raged and we would see the relations with communism rise and fall knowing our family would suffer if things got out of control. It was a very strange time in our house. It is hard to get over the hate I have for the soviet government for holding my remaining family hostage for decades. I grew up that way. Why am I proud to be American? I know we may not have a perfect system, but we do have the best. What happened there would never happen here because we truly are the freest nation on earth. People have fought and died to keep us that way. People have fought and died also just for the chance to be here. I'm grateful for the sacrifice made by my family for the chance to live free....free for them.

jumpervali

I'm proud of many things in America:

1) the freedom we enjoy - it does produce various moments of chaos, but overall and in the long run it's better than less freedom and more control.

2) the economy and all the amazing inventions that have helped fuel the economy.

3) while not perfect, the US has taken in huge numbers of immigrants from all over the world and very different cultures and made it work.

4) all the people who have sacrificed, military/police/various volunteers/etc., to make this place better.

200 years ago an idea was born. It has become what the founders had hoped for and more. With all its problems, and there are many, it stands above all other nations in the world. This place allows all of us to be what we are.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

he ability to make a place for yourself by your hard work. Its a huge family we belong to, even if sometimes some of our brothers and sisters are down right dysfunctional

This is pretty high on my list. We seem to be able to rise above the disfunctionality (it is a word -- honest!) a lot of the time, and endure past it when we just can't rise.

A government that has its own means of overthrow built right in is good, too. Even though we don't use it well enough (i.e. by voting and having vigorous candidates with fresh ideas)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What makes me rpoud is that I'm not an american. but I have I just as much freedom, I live a standard of living above many other contries and I'm an AUSSIE:)Johnies:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I guess I view pride as being something that stands alone, rather than on top of someone else's. I liked your post -- it makes that clear.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Bastian - stolz Deutscher zu sein? Klingt bischen nach Dr. Goebbels, nuuu?

Proud? To big a word. I am just happy. Happy to be back home after 8 years of living thousands of miles away. Happy to be back closer to my family. Happy that my love understands my stupid jokes. Happy that my stepdaughter to be is not quite white and not really black, but just pure beautiful. Happy that nobody makes fun of me, because I drive an SUV.

We have many faults as a nation. We are arrogant and in mass have no idea about the world. Our TV sports are moronic and our McDonalds/CocaCola diets would kill a pig.

I am back home. I found the love of my life and I can speak my language at home again. I so enjoy travelling to other countries, meeting people, but I just feel happiest in the United States. It's home.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

Deep Breath...

Are you proud of:

Metal detectors in schools
Phenomenal crime levels
Highest murder rate in the western world
"President" Bush
The "Liberation" of a country where 98% of people voted for it's president by one where less than 25% of people voted for theirs.
The 61% of adults now considered overweight or obese
That more coalition troops were killed in the current Gulf war by US troops than by the enemy

Firstly I would like to say I am proud to be English. I would not up and leave for the US if a Green Card was offered as someone quoted earlier.

I do think it is a good thing to be proud of your country. Squeak is proud to be an Aussie and good for him as I am there at the moment - they are a very proud nation. However, somehow from an outsiders point of view, the US citizens seem to have taken this pride to the n-th degree. I believe it is partly due to your media and the way they portray your country in the world. You are the most powerful nation on the planet and therefore can do wht you want but that is not necessarily something to be proud of.

For one thing I disagree with the attitude that not agreeing with the US makes you wrong - take France for example. They chose not to support the US in an attack on Saddam Hussein and were flamed for it (as I will surely be). They took the freedom, of which you all speak so highly, to make a decision and yet as it was a decision not in line with the US PR machine it was deemed wrong. What type of freedom is that? Now we sit in the aftermath of a patheticly short war, no WMD's found, hardly any resistance from the enemy deemed to be such a threat and still the French are considered cowards for their choice. Were they really so wrong to make a stand?

I believe that with the Pride that is so essential to a nations stability must also lie a humility that allows you to recognise the issues that surround your nation and address them. For example.

Proud Englishman but the UK has/is:

High unemployment
Dreadful health service
Poor dental system (!)
Lap dog to US when should make own decisions
Damned expensive
Too lax laws
Easy to take for ride
etc.
etc.

Before I get totally flamed I would ask you to think why you are proud to be American but also what makes you most ashamed to be an American.

Does Pride not come before a fall.

Let the flaming begin...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

What makes me rpoud is that I'm not an american. but I have I just as much freedom, I live a standard of living above many other contries and I'm an AUSSIE

Squeak, I would venture to say that in Aussiland, that many ANZAC's and also Americans gave their lives to buy that freedom. In the jungles of New Guinea and Vietnam, the cold mountains of Korea, the deserts of the Middle East they fought side by side. Your country as well has much to be proud of, but it was paid for and fought for by people willing to lay their lives on the line to build something better for thier children.

Amazon

DePhenomenal crime levels
Highest murder rate in the world
The "Liberation" of a country where 98% of people voted for it's president by one where less than 25% of people voted for theirs.
That more coalition troops were killed in the current Gulf war by US troops than by the enemy

Dude who wrote your Stats? That Iraqi Information minister guy? You've got more spin and outright BS than the dem's and republicans combined? I'd like to see the sources of your information. Would you please link them?

take France for example. They chose not to support the US in an attack on Saddam Hussein and were flamed for it

And the reason you speak English or French instead of German is????? Long before the US entered that war we were helping you to defend your island. The latest Gulf War was on tap since this administration entered office. Our UK allies were there alongside..... again. Its not a flame to point out that you have fought for the freedoms you have were hard won. We have much in our history to thank the French and the UK for as well. Its part of what has made the Western Democracies the pre-eminent group on this spinning little planet. WE have fought and worked together to make this planet what it is today.
We as a whole are responsible for what it will be in the future.

Amazon

Squeak, I would venture to say that in Aussiland, that many ANZAC's and also Americans gave their lives to buy that freedom. In the jungles of New Guinea and Vietnam, the cold mountains of Korea, the deserts of the Middle East they fought side by side. Your country as well has much to be proud of, but it was paid for and fought for by people willing to lay their lives on the line to build something better for thier children.

Amazon

Our FREEDOM as you put it J was never actually in jepeody the ANZACs Korean Vets and Vietnam Vets were NOT Defending our country or our way of life, they were either following the British or American lead.
IRAQ is the 1st time Aussies have ever been aggressors, hopfuilly it will also be the last time.
I'm also hopping the Solomon Ilse. dont call our boy and girls over to keep the peace in another country , especially when the most dominate colonial nation in the region is Fance. not Oz
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Its part of what has made the Western Democracies the pre-eminent group on this spinning little planet. WE have fought and worked together to make this planet what it is today.
Amazon

And you see this asa good thing where, possessions and ownership have risen above people and community[:/]
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Our FREEDOM as you put it J was never actually in jepeody the ANZACs Korean Vets and Vietnam Vets were NOT Defending our country or our way of life, they were either following the British or American lead.

In thier own way yes they were.

WW I was sheer stupidy on all sides but had there been a different outcome.. what would the world now be like.

In WW II the Japanese were at your doorstep in Port Moresby and we fought to push them back....together in the Battle of the Coral Sea and others.

The Korean and Vietnam vets yours and ours were there as part of the larger "Cold War". How different would this world be now if all of the freedom loving nations not taken a stand against all the "ism's". By showing resolve and willingness to stop the "isms" those that do not believe in freedom did not win those conflicts. There are many what if's that can be cited. So far we have not been stupid enough to use nuclear weapons again, but if those veterans from all the countries had not put thier lives in harms way...... would that have been the case or would thered already have been a devestating nuclear war.
People who stand up and show their resolve and strength do not end up being dominated by tyrannical regimes.
I hope we as a people can keep control on this regime from becoming tyranical though the paranoia brought on by the aftermath of 9/11. We have the beginnings of a Cabalistic insular holy warrior mentality that if you do not agree with them then you are unpatriotic and un-american. That is a very slippery path to go down.

Freedom is an ongoing project that allows people to live in the light, instead of the darkness of ignorance and fear.

Amazon

And you see this asa good thing where, possessions and ownership have risen above people and community

I certainly do. There are few countries in the world where I as a woman can own my own home, drive a 2003 truck, own a couple large boats, take vacations where ever I see fit in the world, afford to take up a very expensive sport and buy a lot of new equipment to support that habit. Sure those are materialistic things but I also served in the armed forces of this country for 8 years. I have traveled to about 40 countries in my life and have seen how many of those countries allow women the advantages I have been blessed within this one. I worked VERY HARD for a good education that allowed me to get a very good job, how many women in Africa or the middle east or Asia or even in Europe can attain that and have anything more than being a slave to their circumstances.

No its not about the materialistic things in life for me, but I would venture I am far happier than MOST women on this planet in the opportunities I was given as part of that.
IT seems to me that a goodly number of people on this planet seek those same advantages.
Then again there are those who would drag the entire world kicking and screaming back into the squalor and darkness of the 7th century.
Against that I would fight anyone anytime and anyplace to avoid.

Amazon