Viking

How much did you spend on your wedding ring?

I saw this documentary once about how the technology for making diamonds synthetically is getting better and better. (These are real diamonds, made from carbon under high heat & pressure, not cubic zirconiums or some such crap)

Anyway the documentary showed how the first synthetic diamonds were yellow and crappy, and any jeweler could tell the difference. But step by step they have reached the point where a synthetic diamond is indistinguishable from a natural diamond without using some kind of advanced laser thingy which the average jeweler wouldn't have.

So they cut back and forth between all these suits in the posh offices of DeBeers on the one hand, and this grubby Russian guy sitting in a lab without a shirt, cranking out synthetic diamonds for a few hundred bucks each. It was pretty cool.

The documentary also hinted strongly that DeBeers is hoarding diamonds and WAAYY inflating the prices. Also, the man-made diamonds have become so good, DeBeers has had to resort to inscribing their name on the bottom of the diamonds. It's the only way to tell it from the manmade ones now.

About the one/two/four month salary thing: is it just possible that this is a gimmick used by the jewelry industry to blackmail people into paying a shitload of money to "prove" their love?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

About the one/two/four month salary thing: is it just possible that this is a gimmick used by the jewelry industry to blackmail people into paying a shitload of money to "prove" their love?

It's like any other rule of thumb for how much someone should spend on something... marketing... the bottom line should be don't spend more than you can afford.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

I really like the titanium idea!!

I sound like broken record.

Ask Nathan.

His wedding band is titanium, and really cool. I believe he said he paid $30.

Of course, that doesn't work for an engagement ring...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

My b/f jokes that he could buy me a cz or one of those new synthetic diamonds & I wouldn't know the difference.

So you guys are actually talking about that kind of stuff?! How uncharacteristic! ;)

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

6500 on her engagement ring, several hundred on the wedding ring which she had fused to her engagement ring (2 different types of gold so you can see the difference) and $500 on my ring (platinum and gold combo). It was worth it - we're happily married and I love her very much. I only planned on doing the ring purchase thing once in my life. Although I'm sure that other guys have said the same thing.

My future wife will get 1 of 3 things....

1) A ring that I can afford and she likes....I dont see the size mattering. We Love each other that is what will count.

2) My family has gone to the same jewl man since we moved to this country. He takes us in the back room and we pick from a assortment of diamonds laid out on the table.

3) She gets my grandmothers 3 karat diamond that my grandfather gave my grandma back in the 30's.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

Well, let's see... her e-ring was $10K+, her w-ring was $3K+, my w-ring is $2K+...

Holy Mary Mother of god! that's a lot of money. post a picture of it.

I've never really looked at them with my own interest, but teaching in some of the places I've taught, I've seen some outrageous rocks. One mom was asking me if I had any plans and things like that... She got really offended and even mad at me when I said I'd rather have a parachute...

whatever makes you happy.

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

She got really offended and even mad at me when I said I'd rather have a parachute...

i'll never understand whuffo soccer moms:S:S:S
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

My b/f jokes that he could buy me a cz or one of those new synthetic diamonds & I wouldn't know the difference.

So you guys are actually talking about that kind of stuff?! How uncharacteristic! ;)

_Pm

Um, nope, we JOKE bout that kind of stuff :P.

Andy "ask Nathan, ask Nathan" skwak - hehehe;) sounds like he's the place to go - thank you for the direction though. Acutally, I went to that website & they have some GORGEOUS rings!! Even ones w/ stones in them that would work for engagement rings - though they are still quite expensive.

She got really offended and even mad at me when I said I'd rather have a parachute.

This has gone back & forth between my b/f & I... dunno bout it though. I'd really like a new rig, but rigs don't last forever.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

I'm in line with those who'd kick your ass, Arthur. :)
But as to the topic, I always thought it'd be fun to have his/hers rings that interlocked, like the Wonder Twins had..

"Shape of... An Ice Dildo!" :ph34r:
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

Uhh, Lets see, it cost me my House, my Car, my life savings and What little was left of my Sanity. That was one VERY expensive ring.

I miss my Ex. (But my aim is getting better).

Add to that a nice little monthly payment and there ya have it.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Hi J

Nice rings/pics but:( but:( but:(

How come there's two rings in the brides set, and the lowly male or insignificant other only gets one ring.

Maybe it's a wash since the brides daddy/mommy has to pay for the wedding and all that other necessary stuff. [:/]

With the new options available to couple's wanting to get hitched legally.I'm very confused about how the old traditions work in this new age of weddings.

I agree with the new age thing that any "couple" should be able to be married I'm just so confused. Wedding showers? etc.

R.I.P.

I like the look of some of the rings on the website, but...

One thing I had heard (N.B. not seen from personal experience) is that the titanium rings are VERY hard to cut off in case of injury to your hand. The website highlights the high tensile strength of 6/4 Ti over Gold and other precious metals, I can imagine it would be tough to get off an injured hand without causing more pain. Also, I wonder if there are people whose hands (uninjured) have changed so much over the years that they've had to have rings cut off? I honestly dunno on that one...

I know the injury thing is a long shot, but if you ever had a finger broken or a hand crushed or something like that...

Elvisio "metals rock" Rodriguez

This was my concern when I ordered a titanium wedding ring a few years ago. The company sent me a picture of a ring being sliced by some huge firemans cutting tool like the things they use to take cars apart. So guess it can be cut off, just looks like they will have to remove your entire hand first to get the cutting tool in there. So far I have avoided this and with any luck they can sew it back on afterwards anyway.

I think the ring should cost about the same as your rig. Less than that and your partner is worth less than your investment in skydiving. More than that and she's worth more than your skydiving.

And that's unlikely.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

As much as you are willing to spend, or more importantly can afford to spend. I paid 11000 dollars for my wifes engagement ring and 300 for her wedding ring. My ring cost me 75 dollars.

Know this though, comfort is more important than style. My $75 dollar ring is so uncomfortable that I never wear it.

And you do get what you pay for:S.

I think the ring should cost about the same as your rig. Less than that and your partner is worth less than your investment in skydiving. More than that and she's worth more than your skydiving.

And that's unlikely.

t

Heh, I wonder what this means, then--since my engagement ring cost AndyMan next to nothing (as he mentioned, his late maternal grandmother's ring cost $30 to clean and resize), he bought me a set of three-rings after we got married. ;) B|

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

. Less than that and your partner is worth less than your investment in skydiving.

I'm not replying directly to you Tonto, but to this thought in general that an engagement rings needs to cost two or four monthes salary, or more then a rig.

Allow me to say that this is quite simply, stupid.

Buying a bigger rock does not mean you love her more.

Spending money on her does not show you care more.

You can not buy love, nor can you buy a long meaningful mariage.

To each his own, but to me - starting off the marriage by me shelling out thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars for a meaningless rock is bad precedent. If a woman demands a ring worth thousands, then consider it a sign that she's only after your money.

As I said in a previous post, both my wife and I are thrilled that I only spent $30 on our engagement ring. We're buying a condo this week, and are more then happy to have those funds available for something important.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Liz and I were talking about it and she presented the idea of getting her a tattoo of a ring on her finger as the engagment ring and then she can wear the wedding band/ring over the tattoo.

I love the idea :)
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin