AggieDave

Motorcycle Insurance?

If you own a bike, who do you use?

I'm with Dairyland right now and I'm not very impressed to say the least. They sent me a letter saying I was canceled due to a screwup in their computer system, once I finally got a hold of someone there (it took a couple phone calls), they straightened out their computers and I'm not canceled.

If they screw something simple like that up, what else are they going to screw up...

So, who do you use?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Geico.......I also have my car and Jeep with them.

I've never had to file a claim on any of my bikes, but they paid a busted windshield claim quickly, and with no hassle.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Actually (for real advice), check out your state's department of insurance webpage. http://www.tdi.state.tx.us/consumer/index.html

I didn't really take a look, but most states put up various rating examples for every company in the state so you can see who charges what.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

Progressive.

They were the cheapest I could find. About $170/year for a '97 Harley Sportster 1200S.

Wrecked it 2 years ago. Nearly totalled (mostly cosmetic). Progressive drove to my workplace , did a damage estimate, and cut me an initial check for the repairs that same day. Went to my dealer and got detailed estimate which was 40% higher than Progressive's initial estimate. I called Progressive and told them they were low and my adjuster said "OK" and cut me a check for the balance and had it in the mail to me that same day. I found out later they took care of the lady I hit equally as well.

Not bad in my book.
-----

Depends on the bike.

Progressive is great until you get into the superbike category (aka crotch rockets).

State Farm picks up the slack nicely there, I think I'm paying between 200-300 full (and then some) coverage on one of these aforementioned beasts.

Oh, and avoid Pacific Specialty like the plague. Decent rates but they won't pay claims worth a damn. Bike was a complete write off (it ended the accident in a real nice ball of fire), but still took around 4 months to get the money for it.

(edited to add Pacific Specialty warning)

Hands down, the two best insurers for motorcycles are Progressive and State Farm.

I'm with State Farm and I pay $450 a year for full coverage on a 600CC supersport. :)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I use State Farm as well...

Best rates I could find for a 28 y.o. with a '98 Ducati 748 liability only and an '03 BMW K1200RS full coverage.

I also insure a few other vehicles with them, all very reasonably priced. It helps to have a clean driving record.

Progressive and GEICO both were MUCH higher for me, especially on the BMW.

Blue Skies!!
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

let's not get sidetracked by lid law mania.

Posters should be responding to Dave with their state, since that's a huge part of the information.

Until 2 years back, my beemer was $130/yr for a full policy, albeit with low liability limits. Bam - my provider decided to bail on California and my renewal was for $800. All driven by insanely high increases in the collision portion.

Very few are selling policies in this state now, and the stock market has flatlined, so it's now competing with my car insurance for cost.

Historically State Farm was loved by people with race replica 600s because it priced by cc's. But you may need to insure your car with them too to get it.

I never liked Progressive, nor their pricing by mileage bands that start at 2600 miles. (I've gone as low as 3k, as high as 18)