AggieDave

Marriage and changing names

It's symbolic of my starting and committing to a new life with him.

Yeah, I'm not into the symbolic mumbo jumbo. I'm not changing my hair color to match someone's to show that we're together. I find changing the last name to be the same sort of thing. Like I said, if he likes the what it represents, that's fine. He's more than welcome to take my name!
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

I actually had this discussion with a friend about a week ago. My thoughts are IF I ever get to the point of getting married again I will take my new husband's name. It isn't about ownership or control but more about love and trust. If I love and trust you enough to take your name then I love you enough to marry you. If I'm not to that point with a man I won't ever get married again.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I like that Mouth took back her maiden name after her divorce. I always found it a little weird when people, esp. those who aren't married for long periods of time, keep their ex-husbands last names. Even if I had children with someone, I think that I would change my name back to my maiden name if I was no longer married to that person. Of course, I hope never to divorce in the first place.

Also, I think that I would probably take my husband's name if I were to marry. :)

I'm not changing my hair color to match someone's to show that we're together.

That's why Andy and I wear matching (actually, complementary) shirts, instead...he can't really dye his hair to match mine, and I don't want to shave my head. :P ;)

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

Exchanging vows in front of our family, friends and God, and sharing our home and our lives is enough "symbolism" for me.

And about dated traditions, we've even joked about the whole "giving the bride away" part of the ceremony. I said his ex and his daughter should walk HIM down the aisle and give him to me!;)

I couldn't think of one reason to keep his name. Both my children already knew their last name so who cares if it is the same as mine. Even after 10 years I didn't see keeping his name as we were no longer bound together for any reason.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I actually had this discussion with a friend about a week ago. My thoughts are IF I ever get to the point of getting married again I will take my new husband's name. It isn't about ownership or control but more about love and trust. If I love and trust you enough to take your name then I love you enough to marry you. If I'm not to that point with a man I won't ever get married again.

That's exactly what I think, but you worded it better.

Val, I also agree with what you wrote, but now that I have been thinking about it more...I am thinking that it would be nice to have his last name. Anyway, my guy would be happy to marry me either way, so I'm pretty lucky. I can always keep my own name if that's what I want. :)

I think it's up to each couple to decide if they want to share the same last name. Times have changed since that tradition was started.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Exactly, well put Dave. It is an honor, just like marriage, it is a mutual trust and love (which combined make lust ;))

The one for me is based on a lot of stuff not including the name. However, I would suspect that as an effect of those qualities she will take my name. While, not a deal breaker I think it is very sweet. Dated? fine, so be it. Monogamy is dated, so?! Chivalry is NOT DEAD DAMNNIT, and you are not convincing me it is.

Additionally, have you stopped to consider how much work geanology will be with no rhyme or reason to paternal name consistency?

In any case, anyone running around saying "Why do I have to, not gonna! The other one can!" I suspect has missed the whole point of the committment that raised the question.

Dave, my hat is off to you and Morgan. Eagerly awaiting best man duties.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Anyway, my guy would be happy to marry me either way, so I'm pretty lucky. I can always keep my own name if that's what I want. :)

Yah, Andy was like that, too. He knew how difficult it was for me to give up my name (as a sacrifice and generally as a logistical PITA), and he wouldn't have objected had I decided to keep it. He was honored that I decided to take his name.

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

It's not really about about ownership or carrying on an antiquated tradition. It's symbolic of my starting and committing to a new life with him.

I agree. I took my husband's name just cuz I wanted us to match and make it obvious we were husband and wife. (We were together a long time before so the marriage was a new chapter.) Ideally I would've loved to take his mom's maiden name, a beautiful Italian name. But instead I got stuck with his Dad's family name, a yucky German name. Oh well. I still like that we match. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

I think changing names is a bit old fashioned - especially if one or both of you has spent considerable time and effort "making a name" for themselves in a career, etc.

I wouldn't change my name for someone - and I wouldn't expect them to change their name for me.

t

Thank you!

I used to hate hyphenated names too. But since I have an established identity with mine, and I can't pronounce my husbands, but I want my daughter and I to share a family name.....

Bonnie Dutile-Lundblad signing off......:S

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I think that changing names is more symbolic than anything - and frankly I think that it's a very important part of marriage. I don't care who takes whos name -
The idea behind marriage (amoung other things...IMHO) is bringing together two people to form a [new] family. I don't know about you all, but for me, unity of the family is a big deal. Uniting a family under a common name (The Smiths, the Johnsons) is symbolic of the whole two people becoming one.

Aggie, I can't congratulate you enough on your engagement. The more you talk about Morgan on these threads, the more I realize how lucky you are...
=========Shaun ==========

Awesome, someone agrees with me. I love it when that happens. Dave and Morgan are magic, I have known him forever and can attest to the difference she made in his life. They are a wonderful couple, and only just recently have I started to understand how cool it is to have what they have.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

And if I ever thought of marrying someone who thought of the symbollism and unity and crap as important, they'd be more than welcome to take my name. :)

Oh, I see. Your name would be good enough for me, but my name isn't good enough for you, huh? I see a serious problem in that way of thinking.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

And if I ever thought of marrying someone who thought of the symbollism and unity and crap as important, they'd be more than welcome to take my name.

I wonder if you'll be saying that when you find your Man of your dreams. Maybe You'll take on Romeo's last name if he Swept you off your feet.... Like in one of those cheesy Romance novels you buy at the super market. Eh?

I always found it a little weird when people, esp. those who aren't married for long periods of time, keep their ex-husbands last names.

I still have my ex's last name. It's really not a big deal to me either way. My maiden name was always mispronounced, I always had to spell it for everyone and it was always so nice to not have to do that after I got married. Plus, I like the way my first name sounds with his name better too! I figured it would be easier in dealings with the kids too. Basically, I was just too lazy to change it back after 18 years. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Oh, I see. Your name would be good enough for me, but my name isn't good enough for you, huh? I see a serious problem in that way of thinking.

Taking my name isn't a requirement, but if someone really wants unity/symbollism/blah blah blah/other crap I don't need, then don't expect me to change my name for your needs. You are more than welcomed to change your own name to fit your needs.

And if I ever thought of marrying someone who thought of the symbollism and unity and crap as important, they'd be more than welcome to take my name.

I wonder if you'll be saying that when you find your Man of your dreams. Maybe You'll take on Romeo's last name if he Swept you off your feet.... Like in one of those cheesy Romance novels you buy at the super market. Eh?

Uhh...yeah. And, he knows. ;)

Taking my name isn't a requirement, but if someone really wants unity/symbollism/blah blah blah/other crap I don't need, then don't expect me to change my name for your needs.

I would hope that if you found somebody you wanted to spend the rest of your life with and it was important to them, even if you kept your own name, to at least acknowledge it as a valid point, and not blah/blah/blah/blah crap out.

Edited to reword my last sentence, because it didn't have a verb nor did it make any sense...