AggieDave

Marriage and changing names

because they've got to get someone's last name or things get rediculous!

example:
Ms Smith marries Mr. Jones. Their kid is Mary Smith-Jones.

Mary Smith-Jones marries Walter Butler.

The kid is now John Smith-Jones-Butler.

John Smith-Jones-Butler marries Candice Walker-Julian.

Their kids are now Smith-Jones-Butler-Walker-Julian, which is just plain stupid.

I figure the woman gets to carry the kid around for 9 months and give birth, and the father can give the kid his last name.

It's incredibly wrong because he's Japanese, not Chinese!

I'm really sorry...I had to. And it's okay, cos I'm a slanty-eyed oriental, myself.

Hahaha. I was really wondering if anyone would catch that fact...:P:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

well if I hadnt left for a minute to take my weekly shower I would have told you...

kids used to be so cruel about that in jr high...my mom was the one (who is american..my dad is the diry Jap) said to correct them and say "If you are going to call me names at least get it right...I'm a yella belly Jap you dumb ass:)"

-yoshi

kids used to be so cruel about that in jr high...my mom was the one (who is american..my dad is the diry Jap) said to correct them and say "If you are going to call me names at least get it right...I'm a yella belly Jap you dumb ass:)"

That's BADASS! Man you crack me up.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, I just figured that if I ever had kids, they'd get a hyphenated name until they decided which name to keep.

It's incredibly dificult to change your name for any reason other than marriage or divorce.

If you have a son, he'll be stuck with your hyphenated name the rest of his life. If you have a daughter, she'll be stuck with it at least until she gets married.

Kids can not arbitrarily decide at some point.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I figure the woman gets to carry the kid around for 9 months and give birth, and the father can give the kid his last name.

More of a reason to have the Mom's last name in my opinion..;)

However.. when I remarry i will change my name because I know how important it is to him and it's not a big enough deal to me not to change it.. He told me he was going to give me a last name I couldn't pronounce the first time we were ever together:ph34r:

Fortunately, marriage is all about

unity/symbollism/blah blah blah/other crap I don't need

If you rule things out simply because YOU don't need them, you have missed the whole point of the exercise.

Love is ALWAYS deciding in the other person's best interest. Love is a committment, not a feeling. And any nuance/symblom, etc that someone who truly loves me finds value in, I will consider.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

It's incredibly dificult to change your name for any reason other than marriage or divorce.

I remember a guy in college who, for four years, was known as Rodriguez-Ha, because the computer wouldn't take all of Rodriguez-Harrison's name.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

That is a whole different story. Point is you already said the tradition was not importan you, you just don't want to change it.

It is your lack respect and consideration of a premise someone else clings to, not that name itself that really says something about who you are.
--

Fortunately, marriage is all about

unity/symbollism/blah blah blah/other crap I don't need

and...HUH????

I know quite a few people who get married because it makes sense. It makes many things (buying a house) easier. Financially, you're better off. Plus, my brother and his wife got about $50,000 worth of stuff for getting married! :D
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

---------------------------------------------------------
No it's not.
---------------------------------------------------------
Sunny's right!

Yay me!! I glanced briefly at your link rosa. But when i looked into changing my name, it was a simple process. Paperwork and a backrgound check. In some cases a brief visit before the judge. As long as you're not a criminal it was easy, if you had a record, it was a bit more difficult.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

It makes many things (buying a house) easier. Financially, you're better off. Plus, my brother and his wife got about $50,000 worth of stuff for getting married!

well if thats why..then at least they did it for all the right reasons... and it should last an eturnity

SO you are saying as long as you don't find crap offense, noone else should?

Okay, I will pick a new word. Saying that I will probably change my mind about changing my last name if I meet the right guy is illogical. It is illogical to think that me keeping my name should be hard on anyone. It is illogical to do something for the sake of tradition. It is illogical to tell me what will be hard on my kids if I ever have them.

It is all about perspective, Val, and you only have ONE!

I disagree... it's no different than someone believing that the woman should take the man's last name. I've seen one person post that they broke off an engagement because they wouldn't take his name and another guy post that he wouldn't be married to his wife now if they hadn't taken his last name and also give the baby certain initials. No one even commented on that. That in my view is having only one perspective. Val is just saying if it is that big of a deal to the guy that they have the same last name then he can have hers. Having the same last name obviously doesn't make or break a marriage considering the divorce rate in this country.

It makes many things (buying a house) easier. Financially, you're better off. Plus, my brother and his wife got about $50,000 worth of stuff for getting married!

well if thats why..then at least they did it for all the right reasons... and it should last an eturnity

Uhh...no. They got married because they love each other an insane amount. They have the best relationship of anyone I know. It was a joke. Lighten up.

Well, I guess that is there perogative. Seems like a cheapening of matrimony. But that is just my opinion.

In Texas, if that is the case, just live together common law marriage.

Perhaps I should have said

Traaditionally, a love filled marriage is about unity/symbollism/blah blah blah/other crap I don't need

The whole point is choosing someone who meets your needs and desires so much, you do not want to live without them. If they do that for you, why would you not reciprocate?

Again, just my opinion, and I confess I believe in romance, chivalry, and shining armor. And my girlfriend loves me for that, among other things. For the record, if she expressed a desire for the name to be reversed I would consider it. It is more the attitude that it is not an option that irks me....much more so than the final resultant name.
--