cpoxon

"DiCaprio reveals close encounter with death!"

From http://www.newkerala.com/news-daily/news/features.php?action=fullnews&id=46655

[World News]: London, Dec 8 : Leonardo DiCaprio had a narrow escape when his parachute didn't open properly during a skidiving incident.

The 'Titanic' star was left fearing for his life when he jumped out of a plane only to realise that he couldn't open his chute.

"My life flashed before my eyes," the star was quoted by Femalefirst as saying.

Another skidiver had to swoop down to the actor just in time and saved him by cutting Leonardo's faulty parachute cord and then the pair floated to safety together using the man's chute. (ANI)

That has got to be the best bit of whuffo press I've ever seen! They're not getting confused with a movie plot are they?! And what exactly is skidiving?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

"Another skidiver had to swoop down to the actor just in time and saved him by cutting Leonardo's faulty parachute cord and then the pair floated to safety together using the man's chute."

Fit a load o' pish, as we say round here.

"And what exactly is skidiving?"
Thats how they are going to land the wingsuit, just you wait and see............B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

and then the pair floated to safety together using the man's chute.

Seems to indicate both on one canopy... maybe they are describing a tandem? Would be the most amazingly blown out of proportion report if that's correct though. :S

To make it more accurate they should throw leo out in just a tandem harness and then swoop down to him before clipping him up and deploying. How long a delay would YOU leave? :ph34r:

He announced this on Oprah the other day. He said that no one shoud EVER go skydiving. That's just great.

You know something, Chris? I was gonna swallow my pride and go see "The Aviator" (new release not to be confused with a Christopher Reeve picture of the same name, btw), but having read this, I think I'll stick with my original plan and wait for video. >:(

What a pinhead.

mh

13 The first time he went skydiving, his parachute didn't open and he had to freefall until the backup chute deployed.

Uh, so he had a mal on his main and didn't cut away but waited for a Cypres-fire?? Huh?

No no...more likely he had a mal on a tandem and the TM had to chop and go reserve, yeah?? WTF, whuffos never can get a f*cking skydiving story right anyhow...>:(>:(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Found Here

On the morning of June 19, Leonardo DiCaprio stood in the open hatchway of a plane flying 12,500 feet above the Southern California desert--then took a leap. The actor was "tandem jumping"--skydiving with an instructor--as part of a birthday celebration for his friend, actor Justin Herwick. Right on cue, at 5,000 feet above the ground, DiCaprio yanked the rip cord. The chute failed--and DiCaprio panicked. "It didn't open properly," says the instructor, Harley Powell, who delayed opening his own chute and spent about 25 frantic seconds trying to fix DiCaprio's as they fell earthward. Finally--to his pupil's great relief--Powell released DiCaprio's emergency back-up chute, averting disaster. Says Herwick: "Ithought I was going to lose my best friend."

can anyone make sense of this?

25 seconds fixing a chute that "failed to open" when pulled at 5,000???

It takes a bit some times to actually make the decision to breakway on a tandem. You've got altitude to play with so some TM's take a good look at the situation and try to fix it before breaking away.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

di caprio sucks my dick on a regular basis:o

i have the link to download any of his movies if any wants to pay him back a bit.

what a tosser, why is dicaprio opening his tandem and needing another jumper to cut it away? you would think the tandem master would cut away and would not need the assistance of another jumper.

does anyone know this tandem master? he has some explaining to do.

_

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

>what a tosser, why is dicaprio opening his tandem and needing another
>jumper to cut it away? you would think the tandem master would cut away
>and would not need the assistance of another jumper.

Traditionally the student pulls the drouge release and the TM takes care of emergency procedures. He may have been describing a hard drouge release; first he would be unable to open the main (i.e. hard pull on primary release) then the TM would be unable to open the "other parachute" (i.e. hard pull on secondary release) followed by a normal reserve deployment by "another jumper" (the TM.) Never underestimate the ability of whuffos to misunderstand a skydive.

Quite a contrast to my second tandem cutaway, where my student didn't believe we had actually had a malfunction. It wasn't until I had him count the number of parachutes remaining in the container (zero) that he started to believed me.

You guys are getting WAY to worked up over this.
I'm sure there was some sort of problem on his jump.

I'm sure his level of awareness wasn't up to the task of fully understanding what happened. Was yours on your first jump?

I'm also sure that the media compounded any innaccuracies he conveyed to them.
I know first hand how badly they can screw up the story. I told the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth and they still got my incident wrong.

I'd love to know what really happened, but admit it. Most of you are just bent because he gets more tail than we do, and we're cool. We jump out of planes and handle our very own emergencies.:S
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

Anyone know what dropzone it was?

"California desert"
sounds like Cal City?

"Nobody should jump out of an airplane"
I'm glad he said this on Oprah. Think about the demographic! Do you really want that crowd showing up at your local dropzone?