katecooper

Skydiver run Thai Relief Organization

Greetings:
I am posting this with permission of BJ Worth who is spearheading a Thai relief disaster fund in the US. Please follow the links if you have any questions.
blues
kate

Happy New Year!

We have sent you this message because we believe that you may wish to join the other skydivers and friends who are supporting the disaster relief efforts currently taking place in Thailand - the Land of Smiles. Please accept our apologies if you receive more than one message.

As you know, on 26 December a powerful earthquake and the resulting tsunamis caused widespread destruction to regions of South Asia, including Thailand. The people of Thailand and the Royal Thai Armed Forces have long supported the international skydiving community. Now, many skydivers around the world want to show their support for Thailand in its hour of need.

The World Team Organizing Committee is working with the Royal Thai Air Force to make this possible. When we asked how we could best help in a tangible way, the answer was to send financial contributions that will be used directly to improve the lives of the survivors and rebuild the infrastructure and homes of the communities which have been devastated by this surreal natural disaster.

A non-profit charitable fund has been established in the United States to receive contributions from skydivers who wish to support the disaster relief for Thailand. The name of this fund is “Skydivers Supporting Thailand.” 100% of the funds received into this “SST” fund will be sent to a disaster relief fund maintained and coordinated by the Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Air Force in Thailand.

For those who want to help the Thai people suffering from this disaster, we encourage you to follow one of the following links: World Team or Thai Sky Festival which provide details on how contributions can be made. Any amount of contribution will be greatly appreciated by the gracious people of Thailand.

Trying to do what we can to help...

bj & bobbie worth

Australia has pledged $800,000,000. The US $350,000,000. Other countries have committed. Donations are being asked for by every charitable organization in the world community.

Wouldn't it be better to wait and allow a final assessment of the costs of the tragedy. That way, an accountability factor will be in place to allow the targeted relief aid amount to be reached and then the amount can be met.

As of now, the relief efforts are backed by the world governments as far as medicine, food and medical staffing. The thing these people need at this time is counseling for their grief and losses, not a potential windfall from organizations that will accept unlimited aid and money to be used for their own salaries and use.

My concerns are that the scam artists and receipients of the funds will have a huge surplus that will not be returned and the money will disappear instead of being shifted to other humanitarian efforts in the world.

I'm not saying your thoughts and intentions are not meritorious, I am saying, be careful, what you hope to achieve may not come to fruition with out a safe guard. A military person in control of the funds is not a good idea!

Flyontheground, this is not speakers corner. I would keep your opinions to yourself.

There are alot of great aid agencies around the world doing great things. If the money does not go direct to the relief of these victims I am sure it will go to another great place. Yes there are scam artists taking advantage of this event, but I would leave this to police. If you do not wish to give, that is fine but please do not give a black name to this fund unless you have proof. At least not in this thread.

Moderators could you delete this post?

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=23062005

My concerns are that the scam artists and receipients of the funds will have a huge surplus that will not be returned and the money will disappear instead of being shifted to other humanitarian efforts in the world.

155,000 people devastated and the numbers are still rising....hmm....I don't think there will be a surplus of money from trying to get relief and aid to all of those people.

If people do follow your suggestion that we wait for a final asessment of damages and cost for rebuilding then people could be waiting months, years even. In the meantime thousands of survivors would be starving and dying from lack of relief.

No thanks, I'll donate now and have faith in my fellow man. :)

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

Yes, flyontheground, there are some disaster solicitation scams out there, and in some cases there is abuse or waste of donations. However, I encourge you to learn the facts before encouraging others to abandon a plan that has the very real opportunity of helping others in need.

The specific reasons we are working with the Commander-in-Chief of the RTAF is because we know him personally, and he (and the RTAF) have supported the international skydiving community in a very big way for many many years and events.

Besides, the RTAF will be using all of these funds for aid and not for salaries, cars, etc., because these RTAF personnel already have salaries, cars, etc. This is a practical means to get the funds directly to those survivors who need it the most - without supporting large bureaucracies weighted down with administrative expenses. We wouldn't be organizing this charitable fund if we did not know all the players and trust them implicitly - based on years of seeing them deliver what they promise in a most gracious and honest manner.

Thank you for your consideration.

bjworth

Flyontheground, this is not speakers corner. I would keep your opinions to yourself.

no he shouldn't op5e expressed his/her concerns. the correct person answered them.

I am going to donate on may next paycheck. it won't be enough to rebuild a town but it will be added with the other small donations to help rebuild their world.

its a great way for (me) a person to donate and help the skydive community at the same time!

do we have any pledgers in the house?

My photos

My Videos

I am so excited about this fund! It is a great way for me to say thank you directly to the people in Thailand who were so wonderful to me during World Team 04. Not only that, it is a way to say thank you on behalf of other skydivers. The RTAF made the world record attempts affordable by supporting us completely in our endeavor and it made for an absolutely incredible experience!

It is also comforting to know that the money will be put to good use as I completely trust the integrity of BJ and Bobbie Worth and am well aware of the friendships and connections they've made in Thailand.

I hope that all skydivers, but especially those who have benefitted from the incredible hospitality of the Thai people, will give generously. You will get double the bang for your buck by not only helping a wonderful people in need but also by raising the profile of the sport that means so much to many of us.

Please, let's do ourselves proud! Give something. Give anything!

[ Flyontheground, this is not speakers corner. I would keep your opinions to yourself.]

op5e,

How do you keep someone else's opinions to themselves? That is the grammatical inpact of your statement. As far as I am concerned, I support your First Amendment right to free speech and expression even though I feel your attitude would be better accepted in N. Korea, China and other dictatorships.

It appears you decided to take the position that I am callous to the efforts of the skydiving community and other organizations. If you will note, I prefaced the reply by stateing figures already promised by the U.S and Australia as well as other organizations that are collecting relief aid. I also said that the communities intentions were meritorious and my only concerns were that a military official has higher authorities that they have to answer to. Then what!

If throwing money at a catostrophy is your idea of helping, then by all means do so. It is your money and you can do with it as you will. As for me, I learned a long time ago to look both ways before I cross a street!

155,000 people devastated and the numbers are still rising....hmm....I don't think there will be a surplus of money from trying to get relief and aid to all of those people.

If people do follow your suggestion that we wait for a final asessment of damages and cost for rebuilding then people could be waiting months, years even. In the meantime thousands of survivors would be starving and dying from lack of relief.

No thanks, I'll donate now and have faith in my fellow man. :)

Soulshine,

You numbers are for the estimated number of the dead. That number will rise dramatically! There are not thousands of survivors starving, there are hundreds of thousands starving and over a million displaced, and that number is rising.

Again, I never suggested not following through with the communities involvement in helping. My suggestion was to prudently allow an assessment of the situation settle and then donate to an organization(s) that have a track record for helping in a tragedy of this proportion. Do as you wish and I hope your intentions are met with the results you want!

Thailand Disaster Relief Fund – Positive Update

The Royal Thai Air Force contacted World Team's Larry Henderson in the wee hours this morning, to report how thrilled they are that the international skydiving community is generating relief funds for the disaster in Thailand. Three top RTAF Generals – ACM Kongsak, (Commander-in-Chief), ACM Chalit (Chairman of Organizing Committee for international skydiving events), and AVM Bunchuay (World Team’s hero in the RTAF) have decided they will use these funds to help rebuild a village in the Narong Province – one the hardest hit areas in Thailand.

Mini-villages are being rebuilt with ten homes to a village. They can rebuild one home for each $2500 received. Our collective goal is for World Team and the international skydiving community to support the construction of one complete mini-village. This will require $25,000 (1 million Baht) in contributions. If / when this goal is reached, the RTAF will name this village the World Skydivers Village, and erect a dedication plaque on site. Funds for the first home have already been received, and we’re now working on home number two.

Skydivers will always be welcome guests in “their” village. In fact, the RTAF is planning to invite the skydivers attending the upcoming Thai Sky Festival to make demonstration jumps on the beaches of Narong and Phuket from its Hercs – to bring some unexpected joy to the people in this devastated region. If you know someone in our skydiving family who wants to help build a village, could you please direct them to the relief fund websites: www.thaiskyfestival.com/ or www.theworldteam.com. Thank you.

Safe skies,

bjworth

that would be quite insane. (insane in a good way)

I will be donating on or around the 18th of this month.
its great to be able to see the exact impact a few donated dollars can do. do you mind if I ask how close we are to the goal? (I dont need a Monetary amount but a guess to the % would be cool)
My photos

My Videos

[ Flyontheground, this is not speakers corner. I would keep your opinions to yourself.]

op5e,

How do you keep someone else's opinions to themselves? That is the grammatical inpact of your statement. As far as I am concerned, I support your First Amendment right to free speech and expression even though I feel your attitude would be better accepted in N. Korea, China and other dictatorships.t!

I think he was getting at the rules of this forum and the topics that are discussed here. Your post takes the tone of the speakers corner not the bonfire. Posts made here aren't for political discussion, speakers corner for that.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I think he was getting at the rules of this forum and the topics that are discussed here. Your post takes the tone of the speakers corner not the bonfire. Posts made here aren't for political discussion, speakers corner for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I was replying to the POST. It was not in the Speakers Corner it WAS in the Bonfire.

I was replying to the POST. It was not in the Speakers Corner it WAS in the Bonfire.

I know you were replying to the post and your reply belongs in the speakers corner not the bonfire. What you are choosing to debate doesn't follow the rules of this forum. Political talk and debates take place in the speakers corner.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I just wanted to make sure what I said wasn't misconstrued. We should all be giving money to this great cause. I know I've donated several hundred dollars myself and hope everyone out there does too. We should find reputable organizations and give generously.
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

>My concerns are that the scam artists and receipients of the funds will
>have a huge surplus that will not be returned . . .

That is indeed a concern and is a good reason not to give money to people/organizations you do not know, either personally or by reputation. In this case, I am glad that I know the people of the RTAF, and I have no qualms that money I send to them will go astray.

Thanks Kate and BJ,
Check mailed this morning. I have full trust that this money will be used exactly as proposed by the officers of the RTAF for the Thai people to get reestablished. It's an honor to be able to donate to the country that has bent over for us as skydivers to be able to aid directly,with the help of the RTAF to the survivors of this terrible disaster. I encourage all who read this post to donate at least a jump ticket to this cause. Trust that BJ knows exactly how this will be handled, so give to this most worthy fund.

Blue skies to all those that were lost and to the survivors who must rebuild their lives now with our direct help.