PhreeZone

How long in a Hotel is too long?

I've been on the Road for a week. I've got 11 more days in town. I have a whole new respect for full time traveling workers.

I completely miss things at my place that I did'nt think that I'm missing already. A Fridge, a stove... my own bed (down comforter and down pillows are HIGH on the list), decent cell reception.

I'm already starting to get sick of this place and I'm not even half way through this trip :S Anyone have any good ways to cope with long term work traveling? Weekends with weather that grounds me sucks and jumping during the week is not an option.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

no worries,longest stay in a hotel forme was 30 days........ longest stay notin a hotel was 3 weeks and all i had in the "place" i slept was electricity, had to walk to the showers and there was no t.v. .........and this was in a modern country........ just not the U.S.

The only thing that saves me is the gym. I hate being cooped up in a hotel room all evening.
Yah, it sucks. But sometimes theres good stuff on HBO.

Ask the front desk for a refrigerator. Even if you dont have a room with a suite, sometimes they have spares. The king suites usually have a fridge and microwave so you dont have to eat out every meal. I hate that.

Have fun.. I'm with ya dude.

I've got a fridge and its holding a 6 pack of Soda and 3 Jello cups (I already ate the other 3). Thats about the largest it holds. The Microwave is flakey at best, its power seems to come and go as its cooking. At least I finally managed to get internet access. :S

I'll have to spend more time at the gym then. Luckly my Gym membership transfered here too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have a whole new respect for full time traveling workers.

Yeah, right-I could feel that new respect when you were busting my chops Saturday evening:P But, you've made the turn and the worst is behind you. you've got the right plan, find skydivers and hang out. You, Gemini, and several others help me keep from going nuts when I'm on the road. And if you are going bonkers from boredom, call up and make fun of the latest Stupid Shane Tricks.:)
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

You're in Plano right now, right? And you're still bored? Dude, if you want some tips of what to do in that area let me know, there is plenty to do.

On a side note, more then just a couple of days really gets to me when staying in a hotel.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I spend about 3 months a year in hotel rooms. In general, after 3 days I get hency. After 1 week I stop caring. I spent 2 month in a hotel in Manilla once. At this point, I felt that my house was a distant memory...:D

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Anyone have any good ways to cope with long term work traveling?

One trick that works for me is to rent a car and explore the surrounding area even if it's only for a few hours. This way I escape the worksite/hotel room/convenient eateries monotony, which can wear you down pretty quickly especially if, say, you're from Chicago but you've been tasked with battling the Evil Empire in Winston-Salem for nearly two months straight. I've felt your pain, good luck.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

I've been on the Road for a week. I've got 11 more days in town. I have a whole new respect for full time traveling workers.

I completely miss things at my place that I did'nt think that I'm missing already. A Fridge, a stove... my own bed (down comforter and down pillows are HIGH on the list), decent cell reception.

I'm already starting to get sick of this place and I'm not even half way through this trip :S Anyone have any good ways to cope with long term work traveling? Weekends with weather that grounds me sucks and jumping during the week is not an option.

If you need a place to stay in Austin I have a spare room with a Futon!
"Well behaved women rarely make history"

When I had a 3 state territory, I was in hotels Monday thru Friday for 3+ years. Some friends of mine thought it would be awesome to have that lifestyle where you have a housekeeper and room service, and get to expense meals from nice restaurant. Let me tell ya..it gets old quick. Leads to burnout. I feel your pain.

whevever possible get a better hotel, with some sort of kitchen, the fuller the better.. extended stays, hawthorne suites, candlewood suites etc.. or even rent a apt/condo if your going to be there long enough... Z misses the test range at Cape San Blas B|

my record is 2 months... and yes, that is toooo long... partly because having maid and laundry service for that long taught me some really bad habits for living at home... :S;) and partly because you really have no life when your on the road that much...

the weather has been conspiring against weekends everywhere lately... bar hopping is fun in new towns for a while (if you dont have to drive).. otherwise I recommend seeing alot of movies and dating alot of bartenders...;):)

How long in a Hotel is too long?

I'm sure Daizey would say "with you....ONE NIGHT!!"

:D:D:D:D:D

I wish I travelled like that - I'm often SO JEALOUS of Chaos and all her travels....

But then - I would miss my puppy!![:/]

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

Streaker and I both travel alot. He lived in a hotel for 2 years once, home on most, but not all weekends. The longest for me is about a month. Find the local library. Too much to read to be bored. You can kill hours in a library, and not even know it. Go to the local high school sports games, they love a crowd, and it really freaks people out when no one in the entire crowd can figure out who the hell you are. Call the players by their first names whenever possible..
Go the local McDonalds for coffee, there is always a 'coffee clatch' kinda group there. Pour them all a second cup. Ask them about their grandchildren. Compliment them on their hair, or bald heads. Look nervously over your shoulder alot.
Buy some dog treats. Go for a walk and feed treats to all the dogs you encounter. Make friends with the meanest dogs. It ruins them as guard dogs.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]