akarunway

Suicide

NOT looking for sympathy. My son 26 yrs. of age just killed himself. Just trying to understand what would make someone do such a thing. I'm 48 yrs old and been thru the worst of the worst in my life and a lot of good times. Why can't people see past the pain in life and look for the rainbow tommorow. I'll leave it at that for now. We need more loving in this world. He seemed to be a happy camper most the time. Drugs , women whatever. Nothing worth doing that to yourself or your family. Gonna be a long day tomorrow. Kevin Micheal Quinn 1979-2005 BLUE SKYS MY SON
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your son. I have been through the suicide of two friends, each not too much older than your son, and I can say that the one thing that is almost impossible to get is understanding. You can try to comprehend the pain that would drive someone to think that ending their life was a viable option, but to truly understand that is just beyond your reach.

Please do not feel guilty and wonder if there is anything that you or anyone around you could have done. Also know that although many think suicide is a selfish act, to the suicidal person, it may seem the most unselfish thing they can do. Suicide does not stem from rational thought.

I wish you all the best as you try to find peace. There are no easy answers, unfortunately.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

This has to be one of the most difficult things that anyone could possibly go through. My sincere condolences to you and to your family. I hope that you can all pull together at this time.

May your son, Kevin, finally rest in peace. May you and your loved ones find comfort in both family and friends' love.

R.I.P. Kevin. :(

I am deeply sorry for your loss. It sucks that you spent so much time and effort raising a child, only to have him "off" himself when you least expect it.

Life just outright sucks for many people. One hassle after the next. Thank GOD I found skydiving to help deal with this fustration.

Maybe certain people are smart enough to realise that the next world is so much brighter that they simply wish to speed the process up a little bit. The problem is that they don't think about the people that they effect and hurt. They also sell themselves short because they never lived up to their true life potential.

Try to stay postive, keep a sense of humor and live your life to fullest.

My best,
UntamedDOG

Im so sorry that this has happened to you, my father was also killed by depression a few years back. This disease kills so many people, i dont know if the effects can be understood unless you suffer from it.
Feeling down or a mild dose of depression is nothing compared to the pain that the people who end up having to take their own lives to get away from it, go through. The illness caused this not your son.
xx
Ann

That takes my breath away. I'm so sorry.

When you can, tell us about him. The real him, not the one in so much pain.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm sorry for your loss. Some of these things are extremely difficult to understand, and unless you've been through it yourself, you will never really get it. If you have any questions, let me know, I used to be extremely suicidal in my past.
This ad space for sale.

I cannot begin to imagine your grief. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

linz

Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again, and meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends. --The Messiah's Handbook

I am so sorry to hear this. :(

A couple of weeks ago I found out that the father of a friend of mine shot himself to death. He had just found out that he had Cirrhosis of the liver from years of drinking and didn't want to experience a slow painful death from it...

But most suicides seem to come about from people getting in too deep a hole by something and not feeling like they can get out of it, and they can't seem to ask for help, OR a relationship really sours and hearts are broken...

Suicides really suck. :(
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'd just like to echo the condolences offered by others. As a father, I can only imagine the grief you feel over the loss of Kevin. As someone who has experienced severe depression in the past, it is not completely foreign to me how one could decide to take this path. Of course, I don't know whether that was a factor in this case.

Peace to you and to Kevin.

Doug

Twice as many people pass away from suicide in the U.S. then HIV/Aids (30,000 vs. 14,000.) It’s also the 3rd leading cause of death for young people aged 14-24. Firearms account for about 60% of suicides. Factors leading to suicide are mental illness, substance abuse, previous attempts and family history, history of sexual abuse and impulsive or aggressive tendencies. Depression (often due to low serotonin metabolite, 5-HIAA levels in the brain,) has been found to be a leading cause. Suicides are rarely reported in the media due to the phenomenon of “suicide contagion.” Reporting of suicides often results in attempts by those contemplating it. There are risk factors for suicide but researchers are hard-pressed to come up with any way to accurately predict who will do it.
As a suicide survivor, you’re most likely to be gripped by feelings of guilt as you try to understand why it happened. You will probably feel social discomfort and your distress will flood and ebb. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, your resilience during these times of distress will be related to: the nature and quality of the relationship with the deceased; prior mental health vulnerability; the role of social support and “connectedness” within one’s cultural groups; and whether the survivor has been blamed by others for the death.
Several years ago a friend of mine lost his 16 year old son to suicide. I think you should seek help. Psychotherapists and support groups are very powerful in the healing process. Being strong doesn’t mean withdrawing, it means expressing, it means releasing, it means letting it all out and going through the realizations and meanings of it all. If the strength to bear all seems impossible, join a support group. The power of a shared experience provides great strength in times of need.
My condolences to you and your family in your time of pain and grieving. R.I.P. Kevin M. Quinn.

You're always the starter in your own life!