GQ_jumper

Skydivers are cooler than rockclimbers

Check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=All_your_base_are_belong_to_us

A poor japanese translation of a late 1980's japanese video game into english .

Some of the catch phrases took off over the internet several years ago.:|
There are exactly 10 kinds of people who get geek humor... don't sweat it.;)

Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Well, hello.

Rockclimbing.com user jsut checking out y'all's place. Nice looking site, and seems like there are a bunch of decent folks here.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the merger, laughing a lot at some of your posts over on our site, and look forward to the experience. Heck, maybe you can talk me into taking a jump some day.

Best regards,

-- Reno

-- Reno

"If you can't say something nice about somebody, you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." -- Jeff Foxworthy

y'know what? I know of quite a few skydivers that came from the climbing community, including myself. I think this little merger could be good for skydiving in general. Think of all the climbers we could corrupt and convert to the dark side!:$

I will not come to the dark side. I will use the force only for good. There is righteousness and purity in my heart. Fear and anger are the path to the dark side... I must resist...must not give in... must... keep... going...

;)

-- Reno

-- Reno

"If you can't say something nice about somebody, you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." -- Jeff Foxworthy

There is very little on this planet and human cooler than a free climbing rock climber.
B|
Climbing out under overhangs with no ropes???
Give me a nice warm skydive any day.

Those free climb iceburgs make us skydivers and a lot of BASE jumpers look like over cautious ninnies.

I say :-
3 to the freeclimbers ,
2 for the BASE jumpers
1 for the skydivers
and not much at all for those climbers that use ropes oxygen hammers and all those other things they need like sherpas and helicopters.

:P

and not much at all for those climbers that use ropes oxygen hammers and all those other things they need like sherpas and helicopters.

There's a difference between the sports of rockclimbing and mountain climbing.

I don't have much respect for the concept of freeclimbing (not using protection). I respect their abilities of course, but not their judgement. How much would you respect a skydiver or basejumper that won't wear a rig?

Or do you want to return to the days when skydiving was a stunt rather than a legitimate sport? The thrill seekers can go kill themselves in someone elses sport. I don't want the regulation.

I normally only hear this kind of stuff from new jumpers that still think it's only about the adrenaline rush. That and whuffos.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't have much respect for the concept of freeclimbing (not using protection). I respect their abilities of course, but not their judgement. How much would you respect a skydiver or basejumper that won't wear a rig?

I dont think it compares to be honest. I would draw a parallel between Freeclinbing and Roped, like BASE vs Skydiving.

You dont need a rope to climb. You do need it if you fall. Same with BASE: you dont need a 2nd canopy unless you have a problem.

Freeclimbing, in this NooB eyes is just the pure expression of the sport, with no backup (similar to BASE IMO).
Remster

I dont think it compares to be honest. I would draw a parallel between Freeclinbing and Roped, like BASE vs Skydiving.

I'll compare freeclimbing to newbies that think skydiving is a stunt and it's all about defying death and getting a 'rush'. All about the ego, not the sport - you know the type. I don't know if that compares to BASE attitudes or not, I've only done a few and it got tedious pretty quick (personally) as I didn't see any skills to develop past a certain point. If others do, that's fine, it was my personal experience.

The thing about climbing, if you don't fall once in a while, then you are sandbagging your routes (relative to your personal skill). If you want to get good, you take on climbs that are beyond your limit - so you need a rope. With that, I'd say freeclimbing isn't about learning and improving, it's about getting a certain type of rush. In that case, maybe it does compare to BASE? My base jumps weren't about improving my skills, they were just about doing something to have done it. Completely different than skydiving where I'm constantly learning to fly my body and my canopy.

The only thing I see here that's just plain dorky is trying to say one is cooler than the other in any way. We are talking about 4 distinctly different sports - comparisons are moot.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

All about the ego, not the sport...

95% of the folks I've seen soloing are the quiet, introverted, "just doing it for myself" type.

I remember once at Owens, meeting this guy who described himself as a "solid 5.9 climber". After he flashed Ripoff (if I recall, it's 12.a), I asked his wife what the heck the deal was with him being a "solid 5.9". She laughed and explained that he decided he was comfortable on 5.9--after he soloed Steck-Salathé.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If you want to get good, you take on climbs that are beyond your limit - so you need a rope. With that, I'd say freeclimbing isn't about learning and improving, it's about getting a certain type of rush.

Some people find freeclimbing to be a spiritual experience. I have heard that to some who freeclimb, it is about being one with nature and about having total freedom. Their thoughts are that adding rope makes it artificial and somehow takes away a part of that total freedom. (I know climbers who primarily boulder, who feel the same way.) I've never freeclimbed myself (rope is our friend), but I wanted to express other climbers' possible viewpoints.

Edited: I meant freesoloed whenever I wrote freeclimbed. Sorry!

I remember once at Owens, meeting this guy who described himself as a "solid 5.9 climber". After he flashed Ripoff (if I recall, it's 12.a), I asked his wife what the heck the deal was with him being a "solid 5.9". She laughed and explained that he decided he was comfortable on 5.9--after he soloed Steck-Salathé.

Does rc.com have a bablefish type translator?:S

:ph34r:
Remster

I think I gotta leave you hanging, some of that shit is bad ass. especially that free climbing jazz, up sheer towers. I would love to get that good just so I could climb to the top of something then jump off!!!

THAT my friend, is the whole reason I started skydiving in the first place. I am VERY close to my dream.
GFD is right! Rockclimbers ARE HOT!

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

Just a side note;

When I get my travel insurance for my vacations the insurance WILL cover me if I am skydiving, and WON'T cover me for rock climbing. Seems too me like the insurance companies have something to say about the dangers of climbing as opposed to skydiving.
:P

"Diligent observation leads to pure abstraction". Lari Pittman

Or the splatter size when you impact after falling off the mountain?

What, rock climbers don't bounce? :S

It was a reference to Spence's size... I was being funny... though in reality, it's not a funny thing... :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

See my post above for explaining a rating system. To "Flash" something is to climb the route on the first try. My guess he's being modest about his climbing abilities.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

Ok, nobody else is doing this, so I'll try to help.

5.9, 5.12A = It's a rating for a level of difficulty. 5.9, in particular, is beginner level/not very difficult. It progresses with the numbers after the decimal. (very easy 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, 5.10.5.11. 5.12+ (more difficult) 5.12 is for someone quite advanced. You also have letters after numbers, like 5.12A, once again to show the level of difficulty.

flashed = to lead a climb without falling and without previous attempts
Ripoff = the name of a climb (Climbs have names and ratings.)
soloed = free climbed by oneself with no rope