GQ_jumper

Skydivers are cooler than rockclimbers

In the Men Only Forum we posted a pic of the hottest rockclimber.com poster. We need a pic of you VSG so we can start a "hottest dz.com poster" thread in their forum. :)

Don't forget McNeill too! :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

If you want to get good, you take on climbs that are beyond your limit - so you need a rope. With that, I'd say freeclimbing isn't about learning and improving, it's about getting a certain type of rush.

Some people find freeclimbing to be a spiritual experience. I have heard that to some who freeclimb, it is about being one with nature and about having total freedom. Their thoughts are that adding rope makes it artificial and somehow takes away a part of that total freedom. (I know climbers who primarily boulder, who feel the same way.) I've never freeclimbed myself (rope is our friend), but I wanted to express other climbers' possible viewpoints.

That right there is what we on RC.com call a can o' worms, girlie. B|There are seveal subjects in the climbing forums that will spark flame wars. Freesoling is usually one of them. But the biggest of all is dogs at the crags. It goes a little something like this...

User 1: I love my dog.
User 2: I will fucking KILL you!
User 1: What? Why? Ouch! Hey! Quit it! Qui--

(Pssst: "Freeclimbing" just means that you're using your hands and feet to ascend. It has no bearing on the protection you're using. FreeSOLOING, is free climbing with no rope.)

Hey, do you guys ever bring your dogs with you when you jump? :P

(Pssst: "Freeclimbing" just means that you're using your hands and feet to ascend. It has no bearing on the protection you're using. FreeSOLOING, is free climbing with no rope.)

Sorry for not using the right terms. Like I said, I used to climb (mostly leading sport routes and some trad, too), but I've never freeSOLOed. :$

Ok, nobody else is doing this, so I'll try to help.

5.9, 5.12A = It's a rating for a level of difficulty. 5.9, in particular, is beginner level/not very difficult. It progresses with the numbers after the decimal. (very easy 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, 5.10.5.11. 5.12+ (more difficult) 5.12 is for someone quite advanced. You also have letters after numbers, like 5.12A, once again to show the level of difficulty.

flashed = to lead a climb without falling and without previous attempts
Ripoff = the name of a climb (Climbs have names and ratings.)
soloed = free climbed by oneself with no rope

Pretty accurate, really.

A few hairs to split, though:

5.9 is more of a moderate, middle grade. 5.12 or so is where the line between "mere mortals" and "crazy-sick gecko-people" is usually drawn. Anything harder than 5.12 (as of now, the highest grade is 5.15, and only three or four people in the world have done climbs that hard,) typically requires dedicated training, frequent climbing, etc. Those poor saps like myself that can only get out and climb two or three times a month (I've got a morgtage, a girlfriend, two dogs, three horses, and a cat....) don't often get much better than 5.11.

Some terminology: Free climbing means using your hands and feet on the rock to climb up, and gear to protect you if you fall. Aid climbing is a different animal, and uses the rope and other gear to move up. Soloing is climbing alone (and can be done with a rope or without.) Free Soloing is free climbing without a rope (you fall = you die.)

Best,

-- Reno

"If you can't say something nice about somebody, you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." -- Jeff Foxworthy

That right there is what we on RC.com call a can o' worms, girlie. B|There are seveal subjects in the climbing forums that will spark flame wars. Freesoling is usually one of them. But the biggest of all is dogs at the crags.

Try asking if you should use an RSL around here and watch the results:D

Hey, do you guys ever bring your dogs with you when you jump? :P

yup:)

5.9 is more of a moderate, middle grade. 5.12 or so is where the line between "mere mortals" and "crazy-sick gecko-people" is usually drawn. Anything harder than 5.12 (as of now, the highest grade is 5.15, and only three or four people in the world have done climbs that hard,) typically requires dedicated training, frequent climbing, etc. Those poor saps like myself that can only get out and climb two or three times a month (I've got a morgtage, a girlfriend, two dogs, three horses, and a cat....) don't often get much better than 5.11.

Some terminology: Free climbing... Free Soloing is ...

Thanks for the terminology, I've always misunderstood the terms.

I'd agree, 5.9 is intermediate and anyone that doesn't climb a couple times a week should be happy to be doing 9's. also the grades are pretty subjective to region and even the climber (i see a huge difference between similarly rate climbs in Minnesota vs Colorado - with the MN climbs much harder at the same ratings). I climb 10 and 11's normally. I've only ever once done a 12. I have friend who can pull off the occasional 14er and it's pretty cool to watch him climb.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I'd agree, 5.9 is intermediate

I don't think that I've ever met anyone who considered themselves intermediate climbers, who climbed at 5.9 level. Still, maybe I was wrong in calling it beginner, if you two view 5.9 as intermediate. Btw, what kind of climbing are we talking about lead, trad, crack, or all of the above? It makes a difference, I think.

I have friend who can pull off the occasional 14er and it's pretty cool to watch him climb.

Who is that?

Hey, do you guys ever bring your dogs with you when you jump?

Dz.commer MikeForsythe has a dog that has more jumps than many of our post whores! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I remember once at Owens, meeting this guy who described himself as a "solid 5.9 climber". After he flashed Ripoff (if I recall, it's 12.a), I asked his wife what the heck the deal was with him being a "solid 5.9". She laughed and explained that he decided he was comfortable on 5.9--after he soloed Steck-Salathé.

Does rc.com have a bablefish type translator?:S

:ph34r:

Ok, nobody else is doing this, so I'll try to help.

5.9, 5.12A = It's a rating for a level of difficulty. 5.9, in particular, is beginner level/not very difficult. It progresses with the numbers after the decimal. (very easy 5.7, 5.8, 5.9, 5.10.5.11. 5.12+ (more difficult) 5.12 is for someone quite advanced. You also have letters after numbers, like 5.12A, once again to show the level of difficulty.

flashed = to lead a climb without falling and without previous attempts
Ripoff = the name of a climb (Climbs have names and ratings.)
soloed = free climbed by oneself with no rope

To add to that:

Steck-Salathé is probably the hardest 5.9 route on the planet. It's old school 5.9--meaning that it was rated 5.9 when there were no harder grades. It's also very long, and very scary (especially the "narrows" which is a very frightening bit of offwidth-chimney climbing). I climbed it back when I could lead 11's, and it pretty much rocked my world. Side note: Steck-Salathé is named after the two first ascensionists (i.e. first people to climb it).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yeah, I wonder if they have tarmac dogs like we have crag dogs.

There's a couple of lovely tarmac dogs at the dropzone I go to. Actually hangar dogs. They don't jump, but they are owned by various dropzone employees.

Okay, that means I occasionally have to dust a few dog hairs off my D-Bag now and then. :S :D

OK, so I've got a total Wuffo/Gumby/nOOb question that I've got to ask. Bear with me, cause I ain't all that bright, and sometimes I'm downright stoopid:

I get an e-mail when someone here sends me a PM. While I don't mind the PM at all, and actually want to thank everyone for making me feel welcome, I would like to turn off the automatic e-mail notification when a PM is sent.

How do I do that? :$

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum.

-- Reno

"If you can't say something nice about somebody, you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." -- Jeff Foxworthy

in reply 2 "How much would you respect a skydiver or basejumper that won't wear a rig?

I normally only hear this kind of stuff from new jumpers that still think it's only about the adrenaline rush. That and whuffos. "

Woof woof

'wha for you jump out a dem dair pairchootes.":P

Free climbers still get my vote .... super cool and skilled .

in reply to "Or do you want to return to the days when skydiving was a stunt rather than a legitimate sport? The thrill seekers can go kill themselves in someone elses sport. I don't want the regulation. "

So people skydive to be bored to death now do they?

Perhaps skydiving could do with a bit of outside regulation.
Might cut down on the large number of people being hurt and killed in landing accidents.

ps I skydive for fun....what's your excuse?

:)