brierebecca

How cold is too freakin' cold?

Hiya folks,

In Atlanta this weekend, it was a high in the 50s on Saturday, and in the 40s on Sunday. We went out and jumped on Saturday, and it was so cold our faces were hurting. We jumped a little more than we would normally have to get the tandems up without a lot of loss to the DZO. Sunday, we made the executive decision that because there were no tandems, and it was a high in the 40s, we weren't going to jump.

So I guess my line is 50 degrees. Of course, I have the luxury of living in the south, so the cold weather here never lasts.

Where is your cold weather line?

:)
Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Where is your cold weather line?

depends on what kind of jump i'm gona do.. if it's full altitude well i've gone up in about 20 deg on the ground, i'd do a hop n pop at 0 feg on the ground... all depends on alot of things like how long it has been since i last jumped and what is going on on the jumps.............. living in germany, colorado and utah though got me acustomed to jumping in the cold........

See attached... (it was taken by my uncle and is from Lake Michigan last winter...) I don't actually know how cold it was... but it is definetely too freakin' cold...

Edit because I forgot to attach photo...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have gone all the way down to 5F but I don't really like it. With the proper gear, I can be comfortable at 25.

40 is like a spring day.

Ya just gotta have the right gear, The only thing that every really gets cold on me is my feet (but only belly flying) and the area around my mask where my goggles don't cover well.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Up here in Minnesota we decided to have a helicopter boogie on Saturday on the lake in Joe's back yard.

No Problem!

Loads of fun. I attached som pics, but haven't had a chance to get through all of them yet.

We set up a landing area on the lake which is about 18" of ice right now. It was kinda funny to see all the ice fisherman come out of thier little houses to see what was going on.

We jumped a few loads this weekend. 30 deg F on ground, 14 deg F at altitude. Nothing got cold except for my hands, which then proceded to throb for the next 10 minutes while packing.

but I was wearing 4 shirts, 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of gloves, and a full face.

MB 3528, RB 1182

I'm with ya, Brie. Once it dips into the mid 50's for the high, I think twice about jumping. The same goes for when the heat index goes over 100. When I first started, I'd jump in any weather. Now, I've decided I really don't like to be miserable from the weather when I'm supposed to be having fun so I just save my money for another weekend.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon