pre7117

Leave me alone!

Either you're really being picked on like you make it sounds, and you jump at the worst dropzone in the world, or you have horrible insecurity issues which are causing to you take mild-natured and harmless teasing as an attack. Its probably not the former.

I've been teased for having a high wing loading, and a low wing loading (it's like 1.1). For being young, for having an orange helmet, for being a coach, for buying a brand new container, for buying an optimum, and even for wearing Vans shoes.

I really wanted to lay them out, then I realized they were friends, and I wasn't in middle school anymore, and stopped pretending like I was 6 years old.

Learn to laugh a little, you'll live longer.

Even thought I am a newbie I'll throw in my 2 cents. I've seen oldies on the racetrack driving a low powered car with lots of time on it and absolutely schooling some of the new punks with their much higher powered machines. The old ones definitely got the respect.

I read a few of the downsizing articles and canopy control things around here. It sounds to me like in this sport it is equally possible to school those doing the taunting with great canopy skills and accurate landings.

That is if you feel such a need. I'm in this for my own enjoyment. Took me 2 extra jumps just to get my PRCP's right. They wrote little price tags on the papers after that. I got so stressed I put my helmet on backwards. Yeah, I got teased about that too. So what - everyone was congratulating me when I got my PC done and I still make jokes about the helmet thing.

-Michael

I'm on a 195 and I weigh less than 180 out the door. I get teased sometimes for my conservative wingload, too. I just shrug it off and tell people it works for me. Interestingly enough, it's usually jumpers who don't know a whole lot about canopy control that tell me I should downsize. I like having a canopy that I know I can land downwind in someone's backyard while making a 45-degree flat turn to avoid the unfriendly dog that thinks I'm a plaything. I'm comfortable under my wing and it gets me down safe. I can't ask for much more than that.

I am really starting to get annoyed by people asking me why i fly a tuna boat. I got a Spectre 210 and I am 220lbs out the door. I keep getting these little guys that are 5' nothing and buck and half wet out the door telling me I should be on a 150. I like my 210 and dont really care about swooping downsizing because I want to be cool. No matter how many times I tell them, they still give me shit. It really gets to me when a newbie pokes fun at me, I just want to lay them out.

Fuck-em.

Ignore them.

I may be fun to lay them out :) and/or 86'ed from the DZ. [:/]

Try not to laugh and point too much if one of them prang's themselves in... its bad for the Karma. ;)

I would recommend ignoring them... and if you were on a plane with me and someone gave you lip for jumping a "larger" canopy I would be happy to give them a mouthful...

I know a lot of jumpers with many years of experience and several 1000s jumps on larger canopies... there is nothing wrong with doing that...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Jumped a PD-260 for 11 years past when my dealer told me I would be bored with it. (Still jump it once in a while.)

Currently I jump a Spectre 230 at about ~1.1. LOVE the canopy!!

I am much more impressed by those who jump a large tame canopy after 25 years than those who scream in their landings (and sometimes scream after their landing).

Recently repacked a 120 ft^2 reserve for a guy. When we first talked, I was reluctant (big-guy attitude) until I learned that he was himself ~120lbs.

Small canopies have their place... on small backs. ;)

One day I may go small... might even get good enough to jump a 190... :o

Have fun!!
Ignore them... statistics say that if you keep jumping 2-3 years, most of "them" will go away anyway (or so I've heard).

JW

Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

newbies, huh? They must not know your injury track record in your other sports, I hope you have given them up and will be jumping more? :P just kidding with you. But screw anyone for making a comment about your canopy, it is nice to see someone have their own opinion on their canopy and not follow the crowd and downsize just because everyone else THINKS you should. I have found a good swift kick in the balls will keep most people from getting too close.

I've got an array of come-backs for them...some nice, some not so...

- Be sure to wear gripers. It'll help the paramedics carrying you off the field.

- I'll be jumping while you are recuperating.

- I'll bring it to your funeral.

- It works well for me. Maybe you should try one before you get spanked.

- Oh, ye of so little knowledge.

- Gimme a holler when you know what you're talking about.

- STFU

- What?

- Maybe you just don't understand canopy size and wingloading. Let's go back into the training room and I'll teach you.

- I don't see my name on the Bounce Bingo board...but lookee here! There's YOURS!

- YOU are the DZ digit.

- Ahhhhh...they are so much fun. You don't know what you're missing.

The problem with some of these is that one asshat attitude sometimes doesn't really deserve another asshat attitude coming back at them...but then again...
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I've got an array of come-backs for them...some nice, some not so...

- Be sure to wear gripers. It'll help the paramedics carrying you off the field.

- I'll be jumping while you are recuperating.

- I'll bring it to your funeral.

- It works well for me. Maybe you should try one before you get spanked.

- Oh, ye of so little knowledge.

- Gimme a holler when you know what you're talking about.

- STFU

- What?

- Maybe you just don't understand canopy size and wingloading. Let's go back into the training room and I'll teach you.

- I don't see my name on the Bounce Bingo board...but lookee here! There's YOURS!

- YOU are the DZ digit.

- Ahhhhh...they are so much fun. You don't know what you're missing.

The problem with some of these is that one asshat attitude sometimes doesn't really deserve another asshat attitude coming back at them...but then again...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

- It is beneath my dignity to stoop to your level.

...Paint on the side of your canopy in big, child-like writing, "katana 120".

[dont do this ;)]

If it didn't have "Triathlon" already on it I would.

For riggerrob:
:D:D:D;)
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Hey man... shrug it off, there will always be a**holes. A have a friend with 700ish jumps who jumps a spectre 210 @ 1.2ish, and I'll tease him a little and I've been known to call his canopy a circus tent, but that's always with a smile; when I'm being serious, I tell him it's a great canopy choice because he loves it, he's proficient with it, and has no interest in going fast.

It wasn't that long ago (10 years or so) that 150's were considered tiny and PD wouldn't sell you a stiletto if you didn't have 500 jumps. In 1995 My dad (who had 3500 jumps at the time) bought a stiletto 150 after owning a cruiselite (220 sqft F-111 7-cell) and several people called him 10 kinds of an idiot for it.

Keep the tuna boat if you like it... how many other people can go fishing with their canopy?;) Eventually one of those little guys will die under a Widowmaker 37, and a lot of people will stop giving you crap.

"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

They poke fun at you because it pisses you off. Skydivers... well, anyone that does group activities, will do that.

Amen, brother. We have a couple of mottos at my home DZ. "Check your ego at the parking lot," and (my personal favorite) "come feeling small, leave feeling smaller."

Ever notice how many of those guys land off, come stomping in running 22 mph, get hurt landing off, cut away, etc?

I've been jumping the same 150 for over 5 years now. I always make it back, rarely have to run it out, and can sink it in just about anywhere without getting hurt. I'm not getting younger, lighter, or plan on any swoop comps. I'm a 40 year old that is trying to avoid needing hardware in my body.

Pete man, don't worry about them or your tuna boat.
I don't. McCarty

I'm kinda like you in the sense that some people give me crap for the canopy I jump. Some dig it , some don't, I do my thing in skydiving for me. I like my wing and it suits me just fine. Someone gave you good direction in buying your kit. Some new generation swoopers are like, why don't you jump a crossbrace, why don't you compete, saw you stab the brakes ( in other words you suck if you stab), why don't you fly rear risers, and one of my fav's is how much do you weigh, how many jumps, well you should be jumping a 60 something at such and such wingloading. Some swoopers talk about wingloading like it's the size of their penis. If I were only a swooper in skydiving and nothing else then maybe i'd only jump a 60 something canopy, but i'm a skydiver good at many disciplines and am not yet a swooper, i'm a hookturner and thats my game. I even own 2, 60 something canopies when i like to be a swooper poser and jump my 92 most of all. In full flight i'd bet that you and me have no more than 10mph difference in forward speed, in brakes I can hang with tandems. That 210 i'm sure allows you to progress in the sport for what you like to do. It's all good. There are plenty of tuna boats out there. If I could give you any advice flying your tuna boat would be to let the small canopies land before you, don't get in there way if at all possible, enjoy cruising the sky and have a good time regardless of silly comments made about your parachute.

I am really starting to get annoyed by people asking me why i fly a tuna boat. I got a Spectre 210 and I am 220lbs out the door. I keep getting these little guys that are 5' nothing and buck and half wet out the door telling me I should be on a 150. I like my 210 and dont really care about swooping downsizing because I want to be cool. No matter how many times I tell them, they still give me shit. It really gets to me when a newbie pokes fun at me, I just want to lay them out.

you will learn alot in skydiving. this is one of those things...:P

don't worry about it.:)

I am zoomin in with my big ol' 1.0 wing loading... I already had my impact a few years back... 2 surgeries and 8 months later I had a beautiful new respect for he ground. I learned it isn't how fast you get back but how many times do you get to jump in a season. Keep on jumpin' my friend and keep your head on a swivel!
outside of a dog a book is man's best friend... inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
groucho marx