ccowden

To my friends....

Shannon died base jumping, not skydiving.

Apples and Oranges my friend.

OK, if Shannon's not a good enough reason for you, Chris has already lost many friends to the sport, including his best friend and teammate, Tommy. He's had more than his fair share of death to deal with. Even then, his main reason to take a break is his son and wife, which is a enough reason in itself.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

and then getting the news of our dear friend Shannon's death, I have decided to take a step away from the sport.

I am not sure if this will just be a "break" or actually a final decision to not jump anymore,

Ohh pleeeeze!

Bro, the word for the day is tact...you should really try it. that was completely uncool!

The Original Cabana Boy!

OK, if Shannon's not a good enough reason for you, Chris has already lost many friends to the sport, including his best friend and teammate, Tommy. He's had more than his fair share of death to deal with. Even then, his main reason to take a break is his son and wife, which is a enough reason in itself.

Yup- any ONE of those reason should be good enough, but you got it right, the real reason is because my wife and son are more important to me and I would rather spend the time with them rather than skydiving or taking the risk anymore of leaving them behind. Shannon's death was NOT the reason. That is just what made me say, "OK, it's time for me to concentrate on other things in my life."

But again, smarter people already get this. And my friends support it. Anyone who would jump in a thread like this to be a jerk fits neither definition.

I can't criticize someone if they want/need to take a break from such a un-safe sport as ours especially when they have a family they want to be around for. Something else could always take them from their family (accident, illness and/or some act of god, crime or terrorism). But we all know that we won't die skydiving if we're not skydiving and thus one possible way of death can be eliminated for Chris.

But I can speak from personal experience that in the last 8-9 months I have felt that my life is slowly being sapped away from me because I want to play in the skies so much and can't because I stupidly moved to a place in the world where it rains on almost every day. I love playing in the skies, I love the joys of being up there. I am happiest up there. But I can't be up there nearly as much as I want to (stupid weather) and because of this, I'm not all that happy. I'm not depressed or anything like that (it's more a case of being angry at Mother Nature and/or myself for moving to a part of the world where the weather sucks). But come September I will be moving again and while it's not going to be anywhere near a skydiving/BASE jumping hotbed. It will be in a part of the world where I will be able to save money more easily and will thus be able to afford to travel more for my jumping fix. I for one want to continue skydiving for many more years and while Shannon's death has made me wonder about my BASE jumping exploits, I also want to continue to pursue that activity as well. It's just that that activity needs more respect that people lately have been giving it.

Good luck to Chris ... he and I are in different boats. He's got his family to live for. I just want to get back up into the skies ... but there is more to life than skydiving and BASE ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

and then getting the news of our dear friend Shannon's death, I have decided to take a step away from the sport.

I am not sure if this will just be a "break" or actually a final decision to not jump anymore,

Ohh pleeeeze!

This is about the point where I've had enough of your BS. Go find yourself another forum to play on... permanently.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

In January 2003 I got a chance to do something more important than skydiving. I've been doing that and then another opportunity for 3 plus years now. There ARE more important things in life. My skydiving has payed a serious price and I have missed countless good times with friends AND family for the decisions I have made. I think it's all worth it though. I don't sleep well most nights so that my friends and family can. ;) Take care of what's important to you.

I haven’t been in this sport all that long…and unfortunately haven’t had the pleasure of meeting you, but I just had to tell you that I really admire you for what you are doing. I wish you the best of luck in your future!
"His dick is ringing!" Female Skydiver

"Well...answer it!!!" Male Skydiver

Absolutely no condemnation or anything else but support from me, Chris... you have to do what seems right to YOU, and t'hell with what anyone else says!!

Do what you have to do... the sky will still be there when it's time to re-evaluate....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You're making the right choices for all of the right reasons. No one should ever have to explain or justify to others why they are walking away from the sport though. Intelligent people understand the reasons intuitively. The eloquence with which you've explained things will help others realize that there is nothing wrong with stepping away even when one feels "peer pressure" not to do so.

This sounds like a good decision for you. I'm probably not the only one that has seen your posts change focus and tone over the last 3-6 months.

(Plus with you gone, the bar will be lower around here) :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Chris:

I applaud you. It's amazing that you have the same thought process I had, only mine was 3 years ago.

After 3 years, I haven't decided on permanence. Back in November, I posted that I'd rather be with my wife and son than go golfing, gigging, skydiving, etc. I am happier now than at any point in my life, so I'm not gonna mess with it.

I understand exactly how you feel, and congratulations. Who knows, maybe someday we'll get back into it. But not yet. You'll be busy livign your life.

The world of skydiving has lost a great asset in you. The world of your wife and son have gained incredibly. Your world has likely become far more rich.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Ok, Ok. I promise to stand next to you more in public places to make you look prettier.

Sheesh man, little extreme don't ya think - you just had to ask :D:D:D

Seriously though, you already know my standpoint on this. It was good talking to you yesterday, and just because (for now) you're taking a break from the skies doesn't mean you're taking a break from our lives.

See you soon.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Always listen to your heart - you can never go wrong.

Best of luck to you and your beautiful family! You still have to keep up posted on how the little one is growing!!! :)

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

Hope it's only a break from the sport Chris, you're on the top of my list of people I"d most like to jump with when next in the states :)
But either way have fun in what ever you do do, and take care.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Chris.....
..this is how I feel whenever I see you at a dropzone...:)B|;):ph34r::)this is how I will feel to NOT see you.[:/]:(...
You ALSO, are a very important member of a special community, and your family is, as well. It would be fun to meet Brennan, in person, so be sure !!! to visit out this way, anytime it suits your wishes.
You're always welcome:)
...jmy

Ohh pleeeeze!

This is about the point where I've had enough of your BS. Go find yourself another forum to play on... permanently.

Wow HH I'm very surprised at your reaction. I actually thought it was one of Untamed's better posts. It seemed harmless and had a valid point.

Now i'm afraid to ever post again.

Chris, much respect to you my man, a fair decision and one i'm sure you did not arrive at lightly. I think it's a sign that you're already a great dad :)
I hope you'll continue to share your knowledge here with us though. You're an asset to have around.

Take care of you and the family

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky