sangiro

In Before The Lock (IBTL)

I'd like to see these posts disappear from the site.

Moderators have permission to lock any user who make an IBTL posts out of the forums for up to 2 days. Please stop this practice. If not, "in before the lock" will become very real to you. ;)

Thanks for your help.
Safe swoops
Sangiro

Knowing the group around here, they'll find other ways to phrase an "IBTL" post without actually saying it. Do we have permission to lock them out if the intent is obviously there without that exact phrase?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I am left wondering where this post came from....having not seen a (IBTL) lately....

well as it has been said before its NOT a democracy;)

okay who dares to say.. (well i dont) to this tread:ph34r::D

HH i love your work.its really apriciatedB|:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Uh oh skymama, now you're beginning to sound like Bush and the Patriot I and II acts:P

Seriously though, I agree completely with both you and Sangiro. IBTL are annoying. Mostly because you expect some really hotheaded reply and then it's just "IBTL".

Now don't go preemptive on me and lock me out SKyMama :D

Oh yeah, and what Faber said.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

Knowing the group around here, they'll find other ways to phrase an "IBTL" post without actually saying it. Do we have permission to lock them out if the intent is obviously there without that exact phrase?

I would hope not.

IBTL is freak'n annoying and a waste of bandwith, BUT other comments as to how a thread is about to die since its going no where (such as my latest comments in the Cinc PD thread) are sometimes valid. Thus, if you had a vague directive from HH, you could then ban someone for comments like mine. That would be asinine.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've made an IBTL post before once or twice. I've always ment it as a comment to the people posting that they are getting out of hand and that they should calm down before the thread gets locked, not simply to start a IBTL war.

Im quite happy for my vocabulary (as it were) to be stunted a little to prevent this PWing. I can resort to long hand if I want to post "your getting out of hand guys".

I rather like the SA forum guidelines:

Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is either funny, informative, or interesting on any level?" If you can answer "yes" to this, then please post. If you cannot, then refrain from posting.

Before replying, please ask yourself the following question: "Does my reply offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?" If you can answer "yes" to this, then please reply. If you cannot, then refrain from replying.

How about a similar policy for (TIAR), This Is A Repost posts.

while simply saying "this is a repost" may not be very helpful, I think if you say, "already posted here:" with a link to a previous thread in which the same thing was discussed for 20 pages, you can greatly reduce the forum's dead-horse-beating factor.

Those posts annoy the hell outta me >:(

Personally, I find top-locked posts about a boogie to which only a small percentage are going to be a more annoying waste of bandwidth than a mere IBTL post within a thread, especially when I'm probably ignoring most of these threads anyway and therefore not even seeing the IBTL posts.

I did find them funny, but now I just ignore them. Sometimes I still giggle. To me, it's part of the culture of this community, just like silly threads like the silent thread. One man's entertainment is another man's noise.

On the subject of the silent thread, I still don't see a good reason for that thread being killed, other than Sangiro not liking it or not wanting to play.

What bandwidth are we worried about? Actual network or dialup bandwidth? Processing power on the DB or web server? Storage capacity?

Storage is something I could help with, if you're interested. Ever heard of a NetApp? Let me know...

edit: couple typos

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

other than Sangiro not liking it

I noticed you have your own web page over here: http://home.comcast.net/~pl/

My guess is you put on there whatever you like without too much regard for what I want or not. For example: I think your should add a Flash intro screen.... :P

I also have a web page. You can find it over here: http://www.dropzone.com/

I put on that whatever I like as well... ;)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I don't invite other people to provide content, then change my mind about what I like and don't like. I agree with most of the rules, but when you get selective about benign threads, you reduce the fun factor.
Are you interested in more storage, or is that no longer a factor?

edit: PS thanks for the reply.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.