grue

I want to push my car out out of a Skyvan

What costs, other than a regular Skyvan (~ USD 4-500) load, are involved?

i think these days the price is somewhat higher to toss cars from the skyvan. someone mentioned beer. if i can come and shoot, i'll buy the beer!

Joe Jennings
http://www.skydive.com
http://www.skydive.tv

[there are also ways to stabilize the vehicle so that the riders can stay with it for a while..

LIke a Huge pendulum style weight?:ph34r: gotta admit it must've sounded like a good idea but seeing it in the sky must'vebeen freaky
My photos

My Videos

i think these days the price is somewhat higher to toss cars from the skyvan. someone mentioned beer. if i can come and shoot, i'll buy the beer!

It wouldn't surprise me, but a full Skyvan load is 21 jumpers @ $20.50 = $430.50. Given the extra risk & hassle involved in chucking a car out, I'd expect there to be additional costs. Not being an aircraft operator I've little idea what they are. So I asked :)

Hi Joe. Cool to see you posting here.

I don't know if Bat-Grue posted the cots he was quoted (haven't read the whole thread), but it's quite large, the fee.

Why is it so large? Is it b/c the skyvan needs to, in essence, be ferried to a different location than Eloy? I don't know where Joe et al dropped their other cars for Good Stuff, but surely it isn't THAT far from Eloy, is it? Is there liability issues involved that is jacking the price?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Hi Joe. Cool to see you posting here.

I don't know if Bat-Grue posted the cots he was quoted (haven't read the whole thread), but it's quite large, the fee.

Why is it so large? Is it b/c the skyvan needs to, in essence, be ferried to a different location than Eloy? I don't know where Joe et al dropped their other cars for Good Stuff, but surely it isn't THAT far from Eloy, is it? Is there liability issues involved that is jacking the price?

In the past, we have dropped cars only a few miles from the DZ so I doubt that taking the plane far way has anything to do with the cost.

While I am only speculating, I assume part of the added cost (if there is any) is a result of the need to clean up the impact sight. It's not as if we can toss a car and just leave it. There may be added costs due to the risk involved, and that is up to skydive AZ to decide. Skyvans don't come cheap.
With all the interest in this thread, it sounds as if another junk day might be in order. What do you think Joe? Are you game for it?
K

With all the interest in this thread, it sounds as if another junk day might be in order. What do you think Joe? Are you game for it?
K

This junk day idea... tell me more... cause it sounds a lot like "roof testing" where we would throw random objects off of a 4 story or higher building... (to um test the um... flight/impact characteristics... yeah that's it... that grocery cart was put out of it's misery, I swear... :D:D)

only out of an airplane? this concept is infinitely more interesting... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I have given an estimate (rough) to Grue.
You guys are going to have to dig deep.
It isn't about slots, it IS about liability.
Aircraft alone for something like this is in the 5k (US) range.
As for skydivingstunts.com
(the in air stuff with Joe,Kevin,and Greg) that is seperate.
Additional costs outside of aircraft costs are salvage and wrecking crews, groung crews and safety personnel.
I am a able to provide the costs for aircrat, venue, safety crew. (Burke)
The rest will need to be researched by Grue.

K

Hell yes! and i'll buy beer! i'm always into filming this sort of thing - and its a group of skydivers just being creative, so I'd be in it just to roll film, and drink beer (at night).

its not as cheap to do from the skyvan as it was when we shot the first junk day, but if you come up with a good game plan, and ideas that are cool, and run them by Bryan Burk and Betsy, they might be able to give you a rate that's achievable. it ain't cheap, but its doable!

Joe Jennings

LIke a Huge pendulum style weight?:ph34r: gotta admit it must've sounded like a good idea but seeing it in the sky must'vebeen freaky

seeing it in the sky, sucked :S

I believe you.was it you that got hit by a car (w/o thependulum) in freefall?
[:/] how badly did that hurt? it looked deadly. Obviously, I'm glad it wasn't; but OUCH![:/][:/]

This junk day idea... tell me more... cause it sounds a lot like "roof testing

Ever see "Good stuff?" They filmed JUNK DAY and its available on dvd.
My photos

My Videos

Ever see "Good stuff?" They filmed JUNK DAY and its available on dvd.

Oh... yeah see... um... I kind of figured that Junk day was what they did on the Good Stuff DVD... (Oh and I do actually have it... B|)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I believe you.was it you that got hit by a car (w/o thependulum) in freefall?
[:/] how badly did that hurt? it looked deadly. Obviously, I'm glad it wasn't; but OUCH![:/][:/]

Olav Zipzer was the guy who was run over by the first car. he wasn't hurt, thank god.

another junk day sounds terrific. i probably couldn't spear head it this time around, but whatever i can do to help, just let me know....

Joe Jennings

Just heard back from my mechanic - I want to push my car outta a skyvan, too. Not for asthetics, or for fun...but I just can't afford the repair; $4,000 for a new "harness", 'cause the fucking electrical wiring is, well, dead. Dead. Like me when I heard the news.

Trying to change my life 180 degrees, and this is what I get. Makes me cry.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Betsy, would you be willing to help organize junk day though Skydive AZ? I'm betting there are enough people out there who'd love to take part.

Kevin..how about you spearhead that one?
Kama is back working here and I am sure she would help!:)

Betsy, can you (or someone else) post the skills requirements for jumpers wishing to do a junk day.
If the jumpers know what skills they need you may get more ppl interested.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Just heard back from my mechanic - I want to push my car outta a skyvan, too. Not for asthetics, or for fun...but I just can't afford the repair; $4,000 for a new "harness", 'cause the fucking electrical wiring is, well, dead. Dead. Like me when I heard the news.

Trying to change my life 180 degrees, and this is what I get. Makes me cry.

Ciels-
Michele

Oh girl, I'm so sorry. Wish I could help, I really really do. Such a good hearted person doesn't deserve so much rain. [:/]

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

It isn't about slots, it IS about liability.

Hey Betsy,

Is this spread over the "event" or is it by load? If you can get cover for a day then spreading the cost over a few loads (looks like there are a few cars that needs dropping) may make it more affordable over the whole.

...and if you paint the Dropzone.com logo on all the junk I'll throw in the sponsorship and fundraising weight of the site to help make it happen.

If anyone decides to drive this forward, let me know. ;)
Safe swoops
Sangiro