WrongWay

Where do I go from here?

So something has weighed heavily on my mind for quite some time now, and I thought I'd share and get some opinions....so feel free to comment.

So here's my story.

I am, in every sense of the word, a skydiver. I jump just about every weekend, pass out on couches in hangars, watch the videos, read the magazines, and of course post on here. I'm comin up on 1300 jumps pretty soon and I've been jumping since Fall 2001. I LOVE this sport. It's brought me both the best successes and greatest failures in my life, from the greatest bonds and breaks and memories and regrets. From seeing people live to losing them. But no matter what, this sport and the people in it have always been the key to my happiness.

However, since I came to california and started a new career, no matter where I go, who I'm with, or what I do at any dropzone, I still don't feel like I'm at home anywhere. I always feel like an outsider when I show up at the dz's I go to every weekend. That and because of several other reasons to include the usual dz.com bs, on here I also have the same feeling.

Essencially, I feel very disconnected from the skydiving community as a whole.

Why this is, I'm not quite sure. I just plain don't feel comfortable. My skills seem to not be what they used to, which makes no sense because I jump all the time. When I'm out drinking with the other jumpers I always feel like an outsider looking in, only speaking when spoken to no matter how wonderful and friendly they all are. Even when I post here, I think "wtf am I doing?".

So, I'm wondering if this is my sign to leave the sport, and the community. I don't know how else to take it. I don't think I've had enough of it, but I'm wondering if this is it's way of saying it's had enough of me. I've been thinking of this for quite some time, I just don't know what to do.

You all have been my friends and aquaintances for the past 5 years. You've seen me succeed, and you've seen me fail. Some of you love me and some of you hate me. You are the skydiving community. I just want your honest advice and opinions. Thanks.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

since I came to california and started a new career

1.How do you feel when you go back to your old DZ?
2. Do you find the new career more rewarding than skydiving?
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

sounds like there has been too much upheaval your life recently , don't know you but have had that disconnected feeling myself in the past sound like you need to go back to your roots dude. Where the good times happened and put a smile on your face.:)
hope you find that happy place.

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Maybe take a short sabbatical, say six months or so and then see how you feel.
Stranger in a strange land feeling. I think we all have that happen at least once in our life.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

since I came to california and started a new career

1.How do you feel when you go back to your old DZ?
2. Do you find the new career more rewarding than skydiving?

1. I haven't had a chance to go back to either of the old dz's since I got here.

2. Probably. Before I did this I wasn't accomplishing anything in my life...I was in a dead end job, a college dropout, living with my parents in the town I grew up in. Now I'm out here on my own and away from all that shit. Been out here for over a year now. So is my "non-jumping" life worth more than it was before? Absolutely. Does that affect my skydiving life? Couldn't tell you for sure.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

which is the way thats clear
Keep looking for that blue jean baby queen
prettiest girl I've ever seen
see her shake on the movies screen
Jimmy dean....(james dean)
Rock on:)

What you mean this is not a song lyric thread:$:$ oops :D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

2. Probably. Before I did this I wasn't accomplishing anything in my life...I was in a dead end job, a college dropout, living with my parents in the town I grew up in. Now I'm out here on my own and away from all that shit. Been out here for over a year now. So is my "non-jumping" life worth more than it was before? Absolutely. Does that affect my skydiving life? Couldn't tell you for sure.

Not trying to be a smart arse here (yeah I know lightening will strike me :P)

it sounds a little bit like Big Fish small pond becoming little fish in a big pond..that takes quite a bit of getting used too.
Perservere, it will come good and you'll find your place.:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Oh my sweet little wrongway. I know how much you love skydiving. I think the other issues going on in your personal life are affecting how you feel at the DZ. With what you've recently gone through, it's understandable for you to feel "out of it." Do keep jumping and just be your normal friendly self. When you get your personal life back on track, i'm sure you'll feel better about yourself, and that will lead to feeling more comfortable at the DZs.

Anytime you need me to come visit and get that smile back on your face, just buy me a plane ticket!! :D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

You're in a new town with a new job living a life unlike you've really lived before. I'm guessing you don't really know anybody, and the skydivers you're hanging out with you're just getting to know. You probably miss the comfort level you had before but at the same time appreciate actually moving forward in your life.

That's just how it is. It's ain't easy. And I'd bet just the overall distant feeling is seeping into the skydiving part as well. Most of everybody has been there at some point, or will be in the future.

It might be best to take a sabbatical from skydiving just to go to focus on something different for a little while. Even if you don't take a sabbatical, don't spend all your free time at the dropzone. Just go out and do something new...and get comfortable in the new area. You'll come around, but it takes time...
This ad space for sale.

1. I haven't had a chance to go back to either of the old dz's since I got here.

You may just have a slight case of burnout or lack of balance between the new career, skydiving, a new city and a slight case of homesickness....

1. Going back to your old DZ's may provide a good litmus test.

2, Maybe skydiving gave you purpose in that old situation, whereas, you have now a found a newer purpose in other areas.

Couple of suggestions:

1. Try a different discipline to see if it renews your enthusiasm and perhaps be a part of a smaller group that helps you grow into that discipline.

2. Set a challenge goal in skydiving for 2007 and work towards it.

3, Ya know the average cycle for a hard-core skydiver is about 7 years in the sport. Some hit it sooner, some later, some not at all. I read in a previous thread where a dz.commer went back to Z-hills three years later and the entire crew of regulars were gone. If you've beeen at this every weekend for five years, maybe a little break would help you decide if its time for out, occasionally, or re-kindle the fire.

Time to look introspectively, Bro. Best of luck.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You know it just sounds like you have a little burnout and maybe you want to focus on other aspects of your life, that can be equally rewarding as skydiving has been.

Maybe focus a little on the career, maybe be able to have a GF without worrying about her being jelous of your hobby, maybe just hang at the beach on weekends, maybe have a night out where the "guys" you're with are normal people and not insane jumpers.

The sky isn't going anywhere. You don't have to sell your gear. And while your skills won't be the shit if you're not putting in 300 jumps a year anymore, you're not gonna turn into a sky spaz if you just treat the sport as a vacation and hit the boogies and do the odd weekend here and there.

Honestly it sounds like you haven't found the right DZ or the DZs you like haven't welcomed you in fully yet. Either find a DZ that's a "home" regardless of aircraft and fun jumper base or figure out a way to break the ice and become one of a DZ's own.

In the mean time it sounds like you need a good solid boogie to refuel your fire.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you like gladiator movies....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever seen a grown man naked

Have you ever been to a turkish prison?

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233