Sweetness

Have you ever been a tandem passenger whilest being a skydiver yourself ?

Past Saturday I did my third tandem jump. The tandem master was finishing up his course but had to do his last level and I volunteered. The difference with the previous tandems is that in the meantime I started skydiving myself. It was such a strange experience ! It's funny how you get used to being responsible for your own life in the air ! As a whuffo you don't know anything, so you put your life in your tandem masters hands without thinking twice.

Now with this tandem jump, I thought about it the whole afternoon before agreeing I would be his passenger. And I was so much more nervous than on my two first tandems ! :D The weirdest moment was in the plane when the swoopers jumped at 5000 ft. I sat next to the open door, and although I was hooked up to the TM, I didn't feel the weight of my rig on my back, and felt very uncomfortable. Then before jumping out I checked a hundred times if I was properly attached to the TM. Right out the door, I had apparently instinctively let go my hands of my harness and put my body and arms into a diving position. Under canopy I only felt completely at ease when I was holding the toggles myself. :)
Isn't it all fascinating ? How funny how muscle memory and automatisms can kick in like that ! It was a strange, but great experience. Have any of you also done this, and how did you experience it ?

"Ha ! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear ..." (Blackadder)

I did my three tandems as my AFF Level 1, did about 40 or so solo jumps, then my 51st jump was a tandem. On the plane ride up, I kept looking at my wrist as if my altimeter was there... I felt so naked. Well, I was, but I felt extra nekkid not having my altimeter or rig on. The tandem master hooked me up to him, and as we left out the door, I arched and my arms went out. It felt weird, but I had a blast. :)

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

On the plane ride up, I kept looking at my wrist as if my altimeter was there... I felt so naked.

I wore my altimeter ... it would have been *too* weird without it ! :D

"Ha ! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear ..." (Blackadder)

I did my first tandem at jump #199. The tandem master needed to be refreshed and I am short and petite. I have since done about 5 tandems for the same reason.

It was very eery getting in the plane with a harness but no rig. I enjoyed feeling the wind in my face and not having to pack when I came down! I was on the next load! :)

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I had a lot of opportunities to go as a passenger for people who were getting their ratings. I could never bring myself to do it!

The thought of not having my rig on just irks me!

Agreed. I mean it could be a fun ride....but I'd have to have a damned good reason

This conversation reminds me of some of the video of Steve out at SDC going as a student for TI training for the newbies..OHMIGOD those videos are hilarious....:D

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I had a lot of opportunities to go as a passenger for people who were getting their ratings. I could never bring myself to do it!

Agreed. I mean it could be a fun ride....but I'd have to have a damned good reason

THat about sums it up. Shit creeps me out.
cavete terrae.

My tandem jump was the scaries jump I have ever done. I had 87 jumps when a friend of mine needed a passenger so he could get requalified for the upcoming season. There is just something about giving up all that control that is so spooky. The plane we were jumping out of is a Cessna 206 with a cargo door for exit. So when we were in the door, my whole body, including my ass was off the plane and yet I wasn't falling yet. How creepy. Then my buddy wouldn't let me wear my altimeter so in freefall I was going alright when you going to pull. I wasn't comfortable with this until we landed on the ground

THat about sums it up. Shit creeps me out.
I'm right there with you guys... :o
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I've ridden up front three or four times, always for instructors who needed it for their course or to get current at the start of a new season. Never had any worries.

Actually, I really enjoy taking experienced jumpers as passengers when I'm working on recurrency or whatever. It's a totally different experience when you have somebody riding up front who knows exactly what's going on. You can trust them to do the right thing (unless they're fucking with you ;)) but you can't play anything off. It really helps you keep on your A-game.

Elvisio "maybe getting recurrent this spring, maybe not" Rodriguez

static line was the ONLY option, when i started, and I made the bare minimum, ( 5 ) before I started pulling ripcords, myself.....;)
When tandem came along,, I liked the idea...
I saw safe, capable local instructors who stepped UP and became the Charter member tandem masters of our area.. they were all trusted friends and good skydivers and had my respect...
BUT..... not for taking ME on a jump...:ph34r:B|
hahahaha. no thanks...Never had any interest in the idea....Tandems are for students,,, or for dear family members and friends of mine, who want to know the fun of skydiving...:)is the safest way to experience the sport....I 'll go along with them , thank you, and maybe hold their hands...take their picture...
and so it went.. i saw TM's in the area introduce thousands of people to jumping. documented many, enjoyed them all.... But never from a tandem harness.....
well as things would have it,,, I got hurt, had to lay off jumping,,, but only for a while....
It was no fun...
i was at the club, and as it turned out a friend and TM came up to me and said... "hey How about I take you on a tandem."??? Just like that....:o:D:ph34r:.... The pace of the day was slowing,, it was sunny and warm, I was wishing just 30 minutes earlier, to be up in the air..:|... and so the reply was natural
" yeah, sure Joe ".....I had my jumpsuit helmet and altimeter.. the load was on a twenty...
So now I'm walkin' around with a smile thinking,,, " I'm going skydiving."!!:)

It was great.. the ride to altitude was fun...
i liked,,, not having a rig behind me,, but was glad we were well away from the door...
Got alt... Got out... threw a beautiful Exit.. I gripped my lift webs til the drogue was thrown,,,
Came out with my hands and arms,, all was well,,, and we were grinning the whole time.....We had a fine freefall... In a way it was cool to just resign myself to full relaxation, feel the air,,,look around...

Well anyway Joey Deployed hahaha,, I was laughing,, we high fived over my left shoulder, and THEN>>>>>>>>>
he lossened the side clips.....:o:SB|
I think I dropped about 1 inch,, but it fell like 1000 feet ,, as the upper connections caught me.....!!! . I yelled out,,, " HEY " !!! and He laughed....:ph34r:B|;)

that was the only time in the whole jump that i didn't like....
Under canopy we laughed,, decided we'd try an 'accuracy shot',,, and determined that our spot was right on....
I left it all up to him,,,, though we did have a chat about Just when,,,, to turn on final...
Well he stood us Up in the middle of the gravel... a meter from the disc.... It was great...
it took a long time coming... but the timing and the spontaneity was perfect....
Who wants to think about such a thing?? all day long,,,,? If the chance comes Up,, give it a try..

B|;) disclaimer...:| Be SURE you are fully comfortable with the TM in question, and do a thorough pre dive briefing.....
edited to add jpeg:D

jmy

Past Saturday I did my third tandem jump. The tandem master was finishing up his course but had to do his last level and I volunteered.

Is your profile correct?

I thought you had to have a "B" and 100 jumps to be a "Guinne Pig".
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Yep, I went along for a ride to help someone get their tandem rating. It was a little strange and kind of boring.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yep, I went along for a ride to help someone get their tandem rating. It was a little strange and kind of boring.

You didn't try to turn the instructor?:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I've gone twice. On one, I helped out on turns/tracking and such just to see how much you can do under a drogue. He wouldn't let me try a barrel roll.>:(

On the other, I just hung out and enjoyed the ride. I threatened to go into a pike, but didn't want to get slugged in the back of the head.

I thought I would feel the whole lack of control thing. Not at all. It was fun.

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

It was a requirement to get the rating. When I did mine there was no drogue . As an experienced jumper I knew we were going really fast and was surprised the opening wasnt all that bad for the speed. I landed Mikey in the peas for his first time, in spite of his whining.

You oughta see the look on TI Candidate's face when an I/E tells them, "Bigun's gonna take you on your hell dive while I jump solo and evaluate." :o

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.