LyraM45

So, how did you get your first job??

So, how did you get your first professional job? Not like a job you held through college or high school, but the job you now call your profession? I'm graduating with an Aviation Meteorology degree in a few weeks and it seems like none of my classmates (or me!) have gotten any job offers unless they know somebody! So, I'm just wondering how you guys got where you are today? Those of you that had internships through college --did that get your foot in the door, did you just happen to land something, or did you know somebody (who knew somebody who knew somebody...) that could walk a resume in somewhere for you?

Just curious... :)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Ashley ...

I got mine through the job fair at FIT. Actually, my job was at Ensco which I think you were interning at. Did they not make an offer? I was there about two years ago, but at the time, they were almost always looking for people ... and they treat you well too.

My next job I got through Dice.
This ad space for sale.

Graduated from college, no job and no real idea what I wanted to do. Oh, and there was a recession. [:/]

Moved back home with mom and dad (which was, fortunately, in a major metro area with lots of job opportunity). Started temping. One of my temp gigs turned into a full-time offer as an admin assistant for a consulting firm.

One of the VPs I would be supporting called me into his office and said "So, do you really want this job? I mean, frankly, you're overqualified." I basically said "I need to pay the bills, I'd like to grow with the company if you see opportunities" and we agreed to keep talking about other possibilities.

Meanwhile I worked my ass off as an admin, and the VP gave me a couple of fairly large special projects to work on. That eventually led into a promotion into a consulting role, working primarily with that VP and his managers.

He's a friend and mentor to this day, almost 15 years later. :)
Jobs since then:

1) MBA internship, through on-campus recruiting.
2) Job #1 post-MBA, through on-campus recruiting
3) Job #2 through a classmate who referred me to the guy in charge of the group I ended up working for
4) Job #3 answered an ad
5) Job #4 answered an ad, but I also knew people at the company and was working my connections really hard, so I think that was a combination of factors
6) Job #5 - was working for a software company that was a vendor of Job #4. That was pure connections.
7) Job #6 (current) - answered an ad.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Fell" into the position that I have now. 17 years ago, started working as Admin Support in Conference Services at the University of Alberta. Went from Supporting an office of 7 people to being the ONLY person in the Division. Worked my way up from there. Not hard to work your way up from an office of one! :D But I realized that it was what I wanted to do so I did my best, learned a LOT from other people in the same position at other Universities and I let my boss know that this was what I wanted to do.

I love my job. I love going to work each day (MOST days) and I love the people I work with.

If you find a job you like, it's not that hard to excel at it. If it's what you want to do, make sure you tell your superiors (and SHOW them) that you like what you do and that it's what you want to do.

Good luck! :)

'Shell

Headhunter. It works, you just need to make sure that you specify positions available which the receiving company will pay the agency fees, if you can't afford a few thousand dollars yourself (like I couldn't).

That landed me a job in insurance...from insurance I went to mortgage, and from there mortgage banking, and from there owning my own business -which is best by far. :)

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I voted other, because through my boss at my college job in Cincinnati I was able to get connected with an internship that would help me move to NYC, and after my two month internship I was offered a full time job with the company that I stayed with for a year an a half. I spent that year and a half networking in the field I really wanted to work in and when it came time to move on easily moved into the job of my dreams via connections I had made.
Killing threads since 2004.

I can work straight for an airline or a company that is contracted to forecast for an airline. My degree sets me up to meet government requirements to work as a meteorologist but I also have enough aviation background where I could go ATC, flight service, dispatch, maybe even airport management. In a perfect world, I just want to be forecasting or doing anything meteorology. (though I love aviation too...)

I'm now going into substitute teaching to hold me over in the search for a job, but even through my application persistence and internship experiences, nothing has come my way. I admire the people who went out and got their job themselves, but sometimes I just feel that the world is all about who you know and not what I do because so far my doing has not worked out. [:/] (nor has it for my 5 or 6 other friends who are graduating with the same degree) So, I wonder what does work-- hence the poll. ;)

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Are you doing more than just sending in your application/resume and hoping for the best? Because that's about the least reliable way to find a job.

You may think you don't know anyone, but you do. You know lots and lots of people in aviation. You know lots and lots of people, period. Remember to think of every single person you know, personally and professionally as a potential networking source. Truth be told you never know where the lead is going to come from.

Here's another story. My brother was finishing up his first year of a joint MBA/Public Policy program and searching for an internship. He was also volunteering with the local boy scout program. He mentioned to one of the fellow adult leaders that he was job hunting, and was probably lamenting the frustration. That guy happened to know someone who worked for the local county board; the local county had put out a call for a consultant to do a needs assessment for them on whether they should open a new hospital. They hadn't found anyone who could do the work for what they could afford. And wouldn't you know it, that kind of work was perfect for an MBA student ... and at the right price. My brother still bitches about how much he hates networking, but I had to remind him that not all networking is gladhanding and schmoozing, sometimes it's just talking to everyone you know and trying to talk to everyone they know.

http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/ is one of my favorite sites about job searching, because it pretty much turns job hunting on its head.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Fresh out of college, I was cleaning people's houses to make ends meet. I cleaned one ladys house (never did meet her...she just left a key for me) who knew somebody hiring in my field. She called me, gave me the info, and bang! I was hired.

Strangest scenario ever-recommended by a woman I've never met. Been with the company several years now too, even been promoted several times.

So, how did you get your first professional job? Not like a job you held through college or high school, but the job you now call your profession? I'm graduating with an Aviation Meteorology degree in a few weeks and it seems like none of my classmates (or me!) have gotten any job offers unless they know somebody!

Maybe you should have studied something that actually involves work.;)

I like to think that I got my job.

I got the job offer from my internship, but it was extremely competitive to get the internship. Out of my whole class only half of the applicants were even considered for interviews, and way way less were offered positions.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Network, network, network.

If that doesn't work, play the numbers game. Get as many applications out there as possible. Do as many interviews are you can. After a few interviews, you'll be much better at selling yourself and you should eventually be able to find something decent.

Persistence is key. And don't expect to have something lined up for right after graduation. It could take a couple months, maybe even up to a year to find something worthwhile.

My first job I got in a garage after having done work experience there with the school. I guess they liked me! :D

My second job (as a panel beater) I got through networking I guess. I was loaned out to be a race mechanic for this other driver who ran his own bodyshop and they took me on and gave me an apprenticeship.

After that I worked in a call centre for a year, strange direction I know, but I blagged that all by myself.

Then I worked as a mechanical engineer and learnt CNC milling & tunring (or some basic aspects at least) but my brother in law was the boss of that company.

Now, my career with the police, I did that myself. Been trying for years. Finally got it. Although I do miss the satisfaction of making stuff or restoring things and seeing them either race on the track or be shown off at shows :( I have to get that satisfaction through TV like Overhaulin and American Chopper :D

and it seems like none of my classmates (or me!) have gotten any job offers unless they know somebody!

I knew somebody.:P

If you don't know somebody, get to know somebody. Most people in any industry you'd want to be in remember how hard it was for them to get in. Call them up, introduce yourself, offer to meet them for coffee or lunch. After a couple meetings, perhaps even the first, they'll likely hand deliver your resume themselves. Referrals always get priority.:)
My first job, knew somebody. I still went through the extensive interview process like everyone else. Knowning someone just gets your resume moved toward the top--but that's pretty beneficial in & of itself.

Second job, got a meeting with someone during my job hunt, we hit it off, she was a key player in two industries. She got me in a competitor company and later wrote a recommendation for me with my current company that was, and still is, on a hiring freeze (reps never willingly leave my company). We still keep in touch.

I see the "got my own damn job" is winning, but...so did I. I networked. I worked hard. I earned, got & kept my own damn job, too.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I spoke to this guy wearing a blue suit (with stripes on his shoulders) and he told me that the Air Force was hiring a lot of engineers...

6 months later I started Officer Training School...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I was working at a ski resort and sitting in the bar talking to my friend (the bartender)and over heard this guy talking about about opening up some kind of office. Then I spurted out, I need a job. Next thing I know I am getting interviewed over a few beers. Two days later I was hired.That was almost 6 years ago. Just changed jobs last month.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Haven't graduated yet (3 more months!!)...but the job I have lined up is from my internship. I've gotten several interviews from being involved in a professional organization and getting my resume out there. I haven't had ANY luck from the 50+ jobs I've applied for online (even though I'm qualified).

Lots of my friends are graduating next week and most have at least 1 (if not several) offers. Granted, it's engineering, so EVERYONE is hiring :) Most people I know got their jobs either (in this order)
1. Internship
2. Job Fair
3. Networking
4. Applying online

From what you say you had an internship (any chance of getting hired on there???) and have been applying online. Everyone else has already beaten networking into your head :)

Does your school have job fairs? I know UCF does one in Fall and one in Spring. It's a great way to bypass the online application. If they like you, they'll generally offer you an on-site interview, and go from there.

Also, if any of your friends get jobs, ask if they will send your resume to the hiring manager. I know quite a few people who have successfully received offers doing this.

Good luck!!

Beth

I signed a contract and all of a sudden, I was getting a paycheck...:|

oh, and I had people screaming at me at the top of their lungs for 3 months.

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

I sent out like 7 resumes with writing samples and transcripts. Got 2 callbacks and two offers, one of which was my current job. The whole process took about 3 weeks. I didn't know anyone in Chattanooga (went to school 2 states away). But I had the easiest job search out of everyone I know. I just got lucky, I guess.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Took a nice long break from the real world. Then moved to a new city and got a McJob to pay the bills. A friend knew of an open position that I had not done before but figured I was qualified. It mostly required good attention to detail and common sense. Got the job and started taking classes as the responsibilities increased and required more knowledge. Went from low man on the totem pole to lead inspector. Now I'm a field engineer assisting the resident engineer and project manager. You just never know where that job lead is going to come from.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity